Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM

11 posts, read 48,433 times

Advertisements

Just wanted reccomendations on what company to go with for a home security system in Los Angeles. I heard alot of bad reviews about ADT, and wanted to see who everyone else is using, rates they are paying, and quality of the system. Please chime in. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,344,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild79 View Post
Just wanted reccomendations on what company to go with for a home security system in Los Angeles. I heard alot of bad reviews about ADT, and wanted to see who everyone else is using, rates they are paying, and quality of the system. Please chime in. Thanks.
Smith & Wesson, Marlin, etc. and a sturdy fireproof safe!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,800,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Cue Dueling Banjos music.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,344,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Cue Dueling Banjos music.
You betchum, Gyrene!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,507,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Exactly ... 870 w/ 00 Buck.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,632,208 times
security system? none needed. i guess if i wanted to i could put bars up, or a fence around my yard. blaring sirens and motion sensor lights. would a scarecrow work?

hmmmmmm.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM

4,782 posts, read 10,548,860 times
ADT here, but we only really had 3 choices, up here on the Mtn at 5,000 ft: a local
joint, a high tech/very pricey local biz, and ADT out of Asheville.

The wireless install is quick, the remotes work, the initial price was very good, and there
are several levels of coverage, so be choosy and don't over do it, imo. They have, however,
jacked up the monthly monitoring fee quite a bit, over the past few years.

And, the key pad power plug is in a room that is not "covered" by our Generac generator, so when
the frequent powers outages hit here in the Mtns, the key pad finally loses it batt back-up, which
results in comical phone calls from ADT's monitoring network.

As there is only one road up and down, it is really just to keep the amateurs out...
I am told that any pro can disable the wireless door contacts from a lap top, but
this is pretty remote for a high tech pro, imo. LA might be a diff story. My 50Cts.
And, I agree that MrMossberg and MrGlock, readily available, are a good defense, too.
GL, mD

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM

8,454 posts, read 10,870,543 times
I don't have one of those security companies, but I do have a very good security system.
I have 24/7 surveillance of the property, and numerous motion detection lights.
Every inch of the property is in the eye of the three cameras.
The cameras were not expensive, and I bought them at Frys in North Hollywood.
Took me less than an hour to install them.
The best deterrent I have to unwanted entry too the property is my German Shepherd.
I swear he sleeps with one eye open.
As soon as one of the motion lights is activated, he is up and barking.
I sleep very good at night.
A while back, when I insured my classic thunderbird, the insurance company wanted the vehicle stored in a locked garage when not in use.
I explained that I did not have a garage, but my security system was top knotch.
I video taped the system, and sent it too them.
They were happy to insure the thunderbird seeing as where the security system was equal to having it in a locked garage.
I would never trust some security company to protect my bird.
Take a look,(click to enlarge the picture) and ask yourself if you owned it, would you let some rinky dink security company even near it?
I don't think so.
One would do better to just purchase some video cameras and protect your property that way.
Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
What home security system are you guys using?-dsc00487.jpg  

Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM

229 posts, read 415,345 times
Firearms and Fists

Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,702,354 times
There are plenty of cops that will tell you the best home security system you can get is a guard dog. Security systems don't provide any security, just response, and in the time it takes to respond perps have plenty of time to get away.

I'd also suggest a shotgun. Easy to use, requires very little aim, pump-action sound instills dread, and creates a whole mess of ugliness even when it's not lethal because of the number of wounds. And the gun and ammo are cheap and not subject to handgun laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles