Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM

9 posts, read 95,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving with my husband from NYC to Los Angeles in October. Where are the safest (and cheapest) places to live? Is West Hollywood considered expensive? Is Echo Park sketchy at night? We also don't have a car. Also, where is the best/cheapest place to rent a car by the month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
What do YOU consider expensive/inexpensive? Where will you be working?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 50,556 times
safe and cheap do not go together in LA.If you do not have alot of money and you own a car you might be better off to commute from the suburbs.The price will be time sitting in traffic but in areas such as downtown,the valley,or Hollywood there really is no such thing as cheap with safety.you will be surrounded by illegals and gang activity the lower in rent price you go.You can also expect lots of substance abuse and prostitution to be going on in the lower priced areas.Also never live in a ground floor unit as you can expect break ins

Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 PM

We were looking to pay $1100 maximum. We pay $1300 in Queens but we don't have to pay for the car and insurance since we really don't need one out here.
We've heard lots about Echo Park. Any thoughts on that? Is West Hollywood any better? What would you consider a nice area in that price range?
Thank you for the responses so far!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
Depends on what you mean by cheap, and how safe is safe. If you'll be living without a car I'd start by first looking at where you'll be working, then find a walkable, public-transportation-friendly neighborhood that will get you to and from work easily by foot, bus, or train. West Hollywood isn't the most expensive part of the city, but it's definitely not the cheapest, either.

I liked where we lived in central Hollywood for its relative affordability, relative safety, and convenience for a non-driver.

I don't agree with EastCoastPirate. The idea of the "suburbs" in LA doesn't work out so neatly; some suburban areas have far more crime problems than some city neighborhoods, and there isn't a neat breakdown between suburb/city, anyway. I do agree that the cheapest areas are probably among the more high-crime areas; that's part of what keeps them cheap. Where you find your personal balance between safety/cost/convenience/any other factor is going to depend on your own needs, budget, tastes, and comfort level.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 50,556 times
west hollywood is a nice area for the most part.there are alot of gays and transexuals but no one has ever been hurt by a tranny with a stilleto.how many bedrooms did you get in queens for 1300,are you looking for like a one or two

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceR9 View Post
We were looking to pay $1100 maximum. We pay $1300 in Queens but we don't have to pay for the car and insurance since we really don't need one out here.
We've heard lots about Echo Park. Any thoughts on that? Is West Hollywood any better? What would you consider a nice area in that price range?
Thank you for the responses so far!
Our posts just crossed. Where will you be working? If you don't need a car for work you could save money by going without one in LA. West Hollywood is safer and more upscale than Echo Park. Both areas have good public transportation. I haven't paid too much attention to parking in either neighborhood, but if you do decide to buy or rent a car then you should probably ask about parking; it can be tough in many city neighborhoods, not all buildings come with parking, and those that do might charge extra (in our Hollywood building limited spots were available, and they cost $75/month.)

I'd still recommend Hollywood as a good location, depending on work location and where you'll be spending most of your time; it's a central location, is on the Red Line (one benefit over West Hollywood), and has some beautiful older buildings. Los Feliz is really nice, but more expensive; I'm not sure what rentals are going for there right now.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Well, we work with transvestites and my brother's gay so I don't mind. In fact, that's why I would rather live there.
We currently have a one bedroom apartment that isn't spacious. I would like another one bedroom but something a lot bigger than this shoebox.
In West Hollywood, could you get a nice, somewhat spacious one bedroom for around $1100 or is that totally far fetched? That would be my ideal but my husband keeps hearing about Echo Park. Which to me sounds like a version of our Williamsburg and I could kind live without it.
I know this might sound silly to you but Central LA would be considered where exactly?
I'd much rather live in a place where I can walk or take a bus as opposed to having to be a slave to a car. As far as job, we're pretty much going to work near our apartment and then work our way up.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks uptown_urbanist. That's really helpful. In Hollywood, would you prefer the side that near Franklin where the Church or Scientology is or the side that's by the Safari Inn and all those hotels/motels? Or is there an even better spot? Those were the places I stayed near on my trips. I know, so limited.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 AM

396 posts, read 903,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceR9 View Post
Thanks uptown_urbanist. That's really helpful. In Hollywood, would you prefer the side that near Franklin where the Church or Scientology is or the side that's by the Safari Inn and all those hotels/motels? Or is there an even better spot? Those were the places I stayed near on my trips. I know, so limited.
Which Church of Scientology? They own so many buildings in Hollywood!

The closer to Hollywood blvd the better the place as a general rule. North of the Blvd close to Hollywood/Highland specifically. Of course you're pretty much in Hollywood Hills that area too. It's more touristy and, as a result, has seen more gentrification. Always security around the area and the red line is RIGHT THERE. Yucca Corridor has been cleaned up so you may want to check out some of those places.

If you are going to live without a car Hollywood is probably your best bet. It's one of the few places in the city where living without a car is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles