Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 58,000 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to LA from DC within the next week. I am moving with my girlfriend who already has a job out there. We will be splitting a room in a house with other people, so rent is not too bad. I just recently graduated with a master's of social work degree and have applied to around 25 jobs out there, about half of which only require a BA/BS degree, and have only received a couple calls. I know that social service jobs are really difficult to come by these days (which is crazy considering there are so many people in need right now)...because of the economic situation, so I am considering applying for other types of jobs until I can find a full time social work position.

My first question is if anyone here is familiar with the job market for social workers in LA right now what is the average length of time it takes for people to find jobs?

Second: Are employers less likely to contact people who live out of state? I am wondering if I would have better luck with my job search if my resume said CA instead of VA (although I mentioned I was relocating)

Third: If I am not too picky about the type of job that I have temporarily while I am seeking a full time job..where will I have the best luck finding something? Retail/Restaurant? I have a little bit of previous experience in both areas. How long does it typically take someone to find a random job if they are not very picky? I just probably would not want something that pays much less than 10 an hour.

I know that each person's situation is different so you never really know how it will turn out...but I am just curious to hear from anyone with input on the topic.
Sorry this is a little long..

Thanks!

Last edited by Red1024; 08-12-2010 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 AM

94 posts, read 491,124 times
You should have no problem finding work if you are willing to do anything. There are quite a few jobs out there working with the developmentally disabled/ group homes that start around 10 an hour. Keep in mind though, that California's economy is really crappy these days. They are proposing to cut, and have already cut, many services. You will find a job in Social Work just fine, but it may take awhile. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1024 View Post
I am relocating to LA from DC within the next week. I am moving with my girlfriend who already has a job out there. We will be splitting a room in a house with other people, so rent is not too bad. I just recently graduated with a master's of social work degree and have applied to around 25 jobs out there, about half of which only require a BA/BS degree, and have only received a couple calls. I know that social service jobs are really difficult to come by these days (which is crazy considering there are so many people in need right now)...because of the economic situation, so I am considering applying for other types of jobs until I can find a full time social work position.

My first question is if anyone here is familiar with the job market for social workers in LA right now what is the average length of time it takes for people to find jobs?

Second: Are employers less likely to contact people who live out of state? I am wondering if I would have better luck with my job search if my resume said CA instead of VA (although I mentioned I was relocating)

Third: If I am not too picky about the type of job that I have temporarily while I am seeking a full time job..where will I have the best luck finding something? Retail/Restaurant? I have a little bit of previous experience in both areas. How long does it typically take someone to find a random job if they are not very picky? I just probably would not want something that pays much less than 10 an hour.

I know that each person's situation is different so you never really know how it will turn out...but I am just curious to hear from anyone with input on the topic.
Sorry this is a little long..

Thanks!
Regardless of what your field jobs are hard to come by right now, especially in Ca but don't give up.

Yes, you would think there would be a need for social service types of jobs, but when a state is broke and many of the cities as well, how do you think they can meet payroll? Government jobs might be harder to find than private sector and we all know most social service jobs are financed by the government or partially anyway. Or they depend on donations which of course are down.

Yes, living in the area will certainly help.

I am sure you can find something in retail or restaurant type of jobs, but even they are not a given.

Good luck

Nita

Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 AM

Thanks so much for the responses.They have been very helpful and encouraging haha.. i appreciate it.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,823,761 times
I have a friend in L.A. with an MSW who has been at her position for 5 years and is deathly worried about layoffs.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 AM

thanks for the comforting response..appreciate it haha..i know you are just being realistic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles