Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM

197 posts, read 665,417 times

Advertisements

I am a 31 year old single male moving to LA in October and my job will be in downtown LA. I was fortunate enough to have a temporary work assignment in LA before my move and was able to preview some of the areas recommended by the board (Los Feliz, Silverlake, Miracle Mile, Downtown, Pasadena, etc).

Of these areas, I liked Pasadena the most. I drove quite a bit through Pasadena and see that its neighborhoods run the spectrum from working class to wealthy. I'm not sure when I will be back to look before I move so any info would give me a heads-up for when I do go back.

Any suggestions on particular complexes or resources for listings (besides Craigslist and picking up those apartment guides at the grocery stores)? Ideally, I would like to get a 2 bedroom for less than $2k/month. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 AM

32 posts, read 87,369 times
Depends on what kind of apartment you are looking for. There are large complexes built over malls (Paseo on Colorado; one on Del Mar right above the Gold Line) and then there are small, 4 unit places and duplexes and everything in between. I would get out a map of Pasadena and try and make sure you do not rent anything north of the 134/210 freeway. Those areas can be a little dicey in terms of safety.

I have no idea about rents but try the website "westside rentals". Not sure if I can post a website directly on here but google that and it should pop right up. They do offer a section on Pasadena rentals.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:33 PM

237 posts, read 666,685 times
Pasadena is among my favorite places, and is highly regarded by most of southern California (it does have its problems and problem areas). Overall, it is expensive housing and hot during the summer. The temp difference can be 10 degrees or more than downtown LA.

I would highly recommend the Gold Line to save you the commute by automobile to downtown LA. However, if that is not possible for you, there are streets you can take to get you to downtown LA and back.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM

197 posts, read 665,417 times
Are the areas around the Gold Line metro stops in Pasadena decent? Are some metro stop areas better than others? It would be nice having the option to walk to the Metro station. I'm not sure how much or how quickly parking fills up, but it looks like the metro stops don't have a lot of parking spaces and most of the stations charge a monthly parking fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles