Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 44,158 times

Advertisements

I am a single 28 year old moving to LA in 4 months for work. A family friend who is in her 50's was in town this week and was painting a very different picture of LA than some of my friends who are transplants and just moved there.
I shrugged it off as she is from CT, where I am from, and people there do not understand cities. i have lived in Cincinnati where the crime and racial tension is right in your face so am assuming LA is the same way. Just be aware of your surroundings and make sure you stay out of the bad areas...is that a safe assumption?
For 2,400 a month for a one bed I would prefer to be on the beach. I hear traffic is awful and will be working in Woodland Hills. What are good safe, young, fun areas, with bars and nightlife in walking distance?

Thought and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrod89 View Post
I am a single 28 year old moving to LA in 4 months for work. ... i have lived in Cincinnati where the crime and racial tension is right in your face so am assuming LA is the same way. Just be aware of your surroundings and make sure you stay out of the bad areas...is that a safe assumption?
For 2,400 a month for a one bed I would prefer to be on the beach. I hear traffic is awful and will be working in Woodland Hills. What are good safe, young, fun areas, with bars and nightlife in walking distance?
Crime and racial tension are in your face only in the very worst neighborhoods. For most LA residents these are only abstract concepts never seen in real life (except on TV).

Yes you stay aware of your surroundings and increase your vigilance depending on the neighborhood. In most of the San Fernando Valley you can be practically oblivious and have little risk, although increasingly at night, and much increased in the 2AM-5AM hours. I sometimes go to downtown L.A. and the area makes me uncomfortable because there are so many street people. I just keep my scan going including paying attention to what's happening directly behind me, and everything is fine. I would NEVER do that at night time, wouldn't go anyplace downtown unless there's valet parking and I never hit the streets.

There's plenty of good safe fun areas with bars and nightlife in Woodland Hills, particularly in the part called Warner Center. However to get the best experience you should have a car. Then all the places are 5-10 minute drive, not far enough to worry about traffic.

I haven't rented in ages but I'm pretty sure your $2400 would get a nice apartment in Woodland Hills, suspect that $2400 wouldn't be enough for the beach, but what do I know? I'm guessing it might take 30-45 minutes to commute in from PCH & Topanga Canyon area.

If I were you I'd get a nice apartment not too far from work and instead of commuting you can use that time to meet people during happy hour! And if you hook up you're only minutes away from your cushy apartment.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 8,084 times
I looked at beach apartments in Santa Monica. I am in the midst of a move to LA. I know the 405 up to the Valley is horrible, although not as bad as the commute into the city. Santa Monica to Woodland Hills runs about an hour each way. Dunno if that's a commute you want. You can easily find a beach apartment in SM for $2400.

Though maybe you could drive up to Woodland Hills from SM on Topanga Canyon. Anyone want to comment?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 PM

Is Woodland Hills too suburban? I think I would rather be by the water. Nighlife wise, not a club person by any means. Lounge, good food, chill bar with TV's to watch a game.
I hear the commute is rough and an hour is not ideal, but I would love to live near the water since that is where I would like to spend my free time. Even if you leave at 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning can you make it in better time or is the traffic constant?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,229,475 times
Funny asking about what areas are safe, versus which areas to avoid. Most of the city is quite safe, in my opinion. Lived here nearly 20 years now. And I would look for places close to transit (or soon to be, like along the route of the Expo Line). Years ago my wife and I bought a place near a future station, and now we are reaping the benefits.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM

199 posts, read 543,925 times
Kenrod89, you might have to decide between the beach + commute versus living near your job in Woodland Hills.

I feel that Woodland Hills is a more suburban area, however I've only been out that way 2-3 times. Lovehound knows the area well. I would take her advice if you decide on Woodland Hills.

As for the beach, I adore Santa Monica. You most certainly can get a nice place there for $2400 a month. Just a quick glance over at Craigslist shows this: Top Floor* Ocean View* Beach Front (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1900307037.html - broken link)
Another one even less expensive: High Floor, BRIGHT, OCEAN View, OCEAN Breeze-Come See the Difference! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1900134653.html - broken link)

If you don't want a high rise or to be right on the beach, there are lots of what I call "full of character" buildings in Santa Monica where you might have to walk a few blocks to get to the beach. There are plenty of places to eat, bars a great pub (quite a few Brits have made Santa Monica their home) and the wonderful Third Street Promenade.

Here's more on Santa Monica: Visitors - Downtown Santa Monica - Third Street Promenade (http://www.thirdstreetpromenade.org/visitors/index.html - broken link)

If I were 28, I'd go for the beach. It's hot up in Woodland Hills, and I can imagine working during the day, driving back to the beach and cooling off by the water.

Ken, you're going to see homeless wherever you go in LA. At least, that's been my experience. And you're right to just be aware of your surroundings. btw, I'm in my early 50's and have felt safe in all four of the areas of LA that I've lived in--except when driving! But you're coming from Boston! You know how to drive. You'll be fine.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM

199 posts, read 543,925 times
One more thing...lol...just in case you think that since I'm in my early 50's I go to bed by 11pm. I'm a night-owl and have been out at events in Hollywood at 2am. I've come home and had to walk around my neighborhood (after finally finding a place to park) at 1-2am and just kept my head up and walked with confidence. Never had a problem.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the advice on Santa Monica. I went on craigslist there seems to be a lot of great places in the price range in the area. Looking at the visitors guide there seems to be some great food and nightlife options right in that area. I will have to check it all out in person when I make a trip out there in october. My best friend is also starting grad school at UCLA this fall and will be on campus so am hoping that is not too far away from the Santa Monica area either, it does not look to be.

What are some of the hot spots to go out at night in the area? Any good bars for day drinking with a view of the beach?
Anyone have any suggestions for any good gyms that have indoor basketball courts? Recreational Softball/Vball leagues to meet new people?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
There is no doubt that SM has great restaurants and night life.

Go Bruins! I'm a UCLA grad myself.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 AM

I am excited to hit up the tailgate for some UCLA games with him...New England is more of a pro sports area. We love our Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox.

Are there are good bars that show or have an Patriots or Sox following? While I look forward to meeting lots of new and diverse people, from my time out in Cincinnati I found it nice to get together at the bar with a bunch of like minded fans to watch a Patriots or Sox game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles