Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Also, and this is just me being lazy, but it's hard to find restaurants that DELIVER in Encino. There's maybe 3. But again, laziness....
Maybe it's just me. I'd rather just call and place an order, told "Yes your order will be ready in 15 minutes" than order it delivered and then being held hostage for the next 15-30 minutes, unable to leave or otherwise change my schedule. I'd rather just pick it up and skip wondering if I owe the driver a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe it's just me. I'd rather just call and place an order, told "Yes your order will be ready in 15 minutes" than order it delivered and then being held hostage for the next 15-30 minutes, unable to leave or otherwise change my schedule. I'd rather just pick it up and skip wondering if I owe the driver a tip.
True, that can be more convenient. Delivery works for us as my SO often needs to work at home, so we're there anyway, etc.

I'm from NY originally, so not having anyone who delivers is crazy to me . How can you LIVE w/o Chinese food delivery  ...There is the website labite.com but they add a fee.

But as I mentioned, it's very minor, it shouldn't prevent someone from living in Encino per se.
More disconcerting is the "adult" store in Encino which is RIGHT NEXT to a Temple.* They share a wall. Awkward...

*(If not a temple per se, it is at least a meeting spot for the Hasidic community. Again, I can't read the signs).

Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
I'm from NY originally, so not having anyone who delivers is crazy to me . How can you LIVE w/o Chinese food delivery 
It's a cultural difference between left coastals (SoCal) and right costals (NYC). We have a car culture. We see no reason to pay some pimply teenager to drive our food to us when we like driving and would rather go get it, and not have to pay said pimply teenager some exorbitant tip.

How can I live without Chinese delivery? (1) I like cooking it myself, probably not common in NYC but yuppie Californians do that, or (2) because I like driving my car and there's about 20 Chinese restaurants within 20 minute driving distance. And if I have to wait for my food I might as do something productive, like driving somewhere. That's satisfying because there's a beginning, a middle and an end. You can see your progress when driving. If it's delivered then all you can do is tap your foot and wonder, "When? When? When?" (I hope I've satisfactorily conveyed why somebody would rather go get it than wait for it to be delivered.)

I guess it boils down to how you want to allocate your labor and expenses. Drive? Cook? Pay somebody to drive or cook?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It's a cultural difference between left coastals (SoCal) and right costals (NYC). We have a car culture. We see no reason to pay some pimply teenager to drive our food to us when we like driving and would rather go get it, and not have to pay said pimply teenager some exorbitant tip.

How can I live without Chinese delivery? (1) I like cooking it myself, probably not common in NYC but yuppie Californians do that, or (2) because I like driving my car and there's about 20 Chinese restaurants within 20 minute driving distance. And if I have to wait for my food I might as do something productive, like driving somewhere. That's satisfying because there's a beginning, a middle and an end. You can see your progress when driving. If it's delivered then all you can do is tap your foot and wonder, "When? When? When?" (I hope I've satisfactorily conveyed why somebody would rather go get it than wait for it to be delivered.)
Oooook, I was more just joking/it was a hypothetical question. It's like when we have clients in from out-of-town at work, they'll invariably comment on the weather, and we'll say something like "yeah, we can't survive without our sunshine!!" Ppl usually don't respond with THIS IS HOW YOU'D SURVIVE. It's ok, you can do whatever u want, lol. Little water-cooler humor there.

I agree, it's probably a coastal thing. *Shrug*. I think it's bc many apts in NY have small kitchens/not a lot of counter space, and if you pick up food, it can be hard to juggle it all in the subway (most ppl dont have cars) Just something I thought of if u were going to live in Encino. Now off to eat my yummy chicken tikka masala made from scratch (yes I, a New Yorker, love to cook and bake)

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM

Well Marchie I just don't know. I know what it's like here on the left coast, but my only idea of what's like on the right coast is people like you. If you say something that is not in my west coast guy experience and you say you're east coast then I think maybe it's an east coast thing.

My house has a small kitchen and not enough/alot of counter space. I've always loved cooking, I don't know whatever was wrong with me buying this house, and now decades later, but I'm leaving soon unless the big one hits and kills us all (particularly me). I have difficulty imagining a smaller kitchen...

Another thing about us "lefties," you will be a freak of nature if you don't own a car. The only people I don't know who don't own cars are couples who own a single car between them, and most couples own two cars (or even three or more). And I'm even buying my second car next month, okay a truck (pick-up).

I'd love to hear about your cooking but I fear it's not a topic for the Los Angeles forum. Please contact me via PM or visit my website (see my profile) and maybe we can discuss that tikka masala or my Thai, Chinese or American recipes.

And we on the West Coast don't need to worry about surviving without our sunshine. It rarely departs for more than a day or two. A benefit of living here!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM

*headdesk*

Baaaack to my original point - it is my impression that in Encino, there are less restaurants which have delivery service (as opposed to say Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica, other places in Los Angeles). As has been *abundantly* demonstrated, this might NOT be a big deal for you. Or it MIGHT. Who knows!!

So: Anyone else live in Encino? Any other ideas why properties are cheap if you are buying there, per the OP's question?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM

16 posts, read 29,324 times
seems i may put off buying an encino place for a while. may just buy my gf's parents place in northridge, which is a much better place, in a worse location. but i think it'll be okay. thanks for all your inputs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles