Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM

17 posts, read 35,127 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I bought a car a couple of months back and thought I had registered it but now (as I go to sell it - in the next hour) I've realized it was an incomplete application because it wasn't smogged. The new owner wants to walk away with it tonight but my roommate is telling me I need to complete my transaction so it's registered with me before I can sell it on. Technically I think at the moment it doesn't belong to me. I have the certificate of title minus the bottom section that the previous seller kept. Can I sell this on tonight? If not, and I go to the DMV tomorrow with a smog certificate and register it in my name, how long will it be before the new owner can get it?

Is there any way, in this situation, that the new owner can drive the car away tonight and I can get my cash??

Complicated I know - sorry - would appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 19,027 times
The law states that the previous owner is responsible for smogging it. So really it shouldn't be your burden. My friend went through this pain in the ass B.S. and the car didn't pass smog, it is now sitting on a street corner in the Valley. I am all for clean air, but Ca has to be the most ridiculous place to purchase a used car.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 35,127 times
Lol. I called the DMV today and they said that it is now my responsibility to get the smog check done unless there is an agreement (i.e. I sell the car "as-is") with the buyer. As my mechanic informed me it wouldn't pass, I'm just going to have to sell it as is and hope for the best!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,020,310 times
I was recently faced with a registration problem and I finally decided to join AAA and let them take care of it. They did, and I've had questions related to another vehicle and they've satisfied me on the best way to do that too.

So I'd advise you to join AAA and take advantage of their member services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles