Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 AM

69 posts, read 183,814 times

Advertisements

900 block of centennial st, los angeles 90012
it seems to be on the border of echo park and china town, and my friend that lives there says downtown.
if you had to choose where would you rather say that you live?
I am seriously considering moving to an apt there next month. How worried about my safety etc should I be? I am a 20 yr old caucasian female.
my friend that lives there with roommates says that they all feel safe there. and they are young as well. any input on the area would be much appreciated! I currently live in huntington beach, and have been working in LA about five times a week currently, I don't mind the drive too much but it can really add up! this apt is becoming available and is the same amount that I'm paying now, so it seems like I should really take the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,819,659 times
According to the LA Times website, that's Chinatown.

Chinatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

What's the rent per month for the apartment? How big is it?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,117,393 times
if i lived there and someone asked where i lived i would just say "next to dodger stadium". as for which actual neighborhood, that is difficult, it is equidisant from downtown, chinatown, and echo park.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,630,613 times
chavez ravine?

ya, i would say dodgertown. or elysian-ish. but im thinking of all my drives into dodgerstadium, and that area still feels like chinatown. im thinking of the street signs and such.

i would say chinatown. but i feel like its more associated with elysian park than anywhere else.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,491,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
chavez ravine?

ya, i would say dodgertown. or elysian-ish. but im thinking of all my drives into dodgerstadium, and that area still feels like chinatown. im thinking of the street signs and such.

i would say chinatown. but i feel like its more associated with elysian park than anywhere else.
The Chinatown/Echo Park border is very ill-delineated (unlike the Echo Park/Silver Lake border which is pretty clear - Coronado St. ; debate about EP's western border only pertains to people who actually live on Coronado itself.) I'd agree with you that it's Chinatown but some might consider it EP.

Much of what the L.A. Times calls the "Elysian Park" neighborhood in which people (other than the homeless) live in would be considered part of Echo Park by most. Signs in Chinese and Vietnamese are hardly unknown in EP and Asians have been a part of the EP community for decades, from when it was one of the few truly integrated L.A. neighborhoods of its era (mid 20th century) to when it was overwhelmingly Latino (c.1960-c.2000) to its current status of still being majority Latino but highly ethnically and racially mixed (21st century)

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,630,613 times
very true.
also, i was referring to the actual [blue] street signs (city signs) that have the chinese characters.

im trying to remember how far towards elysian park they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Chinatown/Echo Park border is very ill-delineated (unlike the Echo Park/Silver Lake border which is pretty clear - Coronado St. ; debate about EP's western border only pertains to people who actually live on Coronado itself.) I'd agree with you that it's Chinatown but some might consider it EP.

Much of what the L.A. Times calls the "Elysian Park" neighborhood in which people (other than the homeless) live in would be considered part of Echo Park by most. Signs in Chinese and Vietnamese are hardly unknown in EP and Asians have been a part of the EP community for decades, from when it was one of the few truly integrated L.A. neighborhoods of its era (mid 20th century) to when it was overwhelmingly Latino (c.1960-c.2000) to its current status of still being majority Latino but highly ethnically and racially mixed (21st century)

Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM

35 posts, read 96,987 times
just say you live near dodger stadium...or you could also say "beverly hills adjacent"

Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

364 posts, read 988,636 times
Beverly Hill adjacent. LOL!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 PM

69 posts, read 183,814 times
hahaha... does anyone have any knowledge/comments on the safety of that area?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,819,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapommedeterre View Post
hahaha... does anyone have any knowledge/comments on the safety of that area?
I have no personal experience with the area, but from the Google Street Views I'd say its a mixed bag. Not sure if that's an area I'd walk around at night in were a a young woman. I could be completely wrong though... maybe someone has some actual experience there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles