U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 AM

196 posts, read 276,997 times

Advertisements

I am trying to come up with some ideas for stuff to do for two visitors to LA- aged 16 and 21. Now i know the obvious stuff like the beach and hollywood/ farmers market/the grove/ the canyon/annenburg pool/getty/lacma /studio tours but just wanted any other off beat or unusual recommended spots- maybe cafes/ shopping areas/ bars/ museums/vintage clothes shops that you think two girls in this age group may enjoy.I just want them to have a great experience of the city in the 9 days they have here.

Am i right in thinking that a 16 year old can be in a bar as long as they drink no alcohol?I know the 21 year old will need id for a drink in a bar.

they will be on public transport too.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 AM

5,164 posts, read 10,324,536 times
In my experience, no one under 18 is allowed in bars. Even then of course, the 18-20 year olds receive a different colored wrist band or stamp to differentiate them from the over-21 crowd. Also, if they like to go out late, be aware that the buses and subway trains stop running well before the bars and clubs close for the night.

I'd like to recommend Universal City Walk; there are lots of restaurants, at least one arcade, some cute shops, etc. This is a great place to go if they're taking the subway, because the Universal City station is just down the hill from Universal (which includes City Walk, the ampitheater, Universal Studios, etc.). They can take the free tram up the hill and back (about a three minute ride).

When will the visitors be here, and what part of L.A. are they staying in?

The Getty Center is beautiful if they're interested in museums. You can spend an entire day there and not get bored.

There are usually free concerts at various parks throughout L.A. during the summer, too. For example, Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills has free concerts every Sunday at 6:00 p.m. (but they get you the parking if you don't get there really early).

I'm not sure how easy the Getty Center or Warner Center would be to get to by bus... but at least these are some ideas, anyway!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks sandy co- i will check those places out. I love the getty and have taken visitors many times already. I wonder if they can public transport it there from highland park area.....will research it.

I am shocked about the bars- i thought they could at least go in a pub and have a coke- but having only been in a bar once since i got here what would i know?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 AM

260 posts, read 279,842 times
Minors are not allowed in true booze-only bars but are in pub-type places that also serve food.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,161,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
Minors are not allowed in true booze-only bars but are in pub-type places that also serve food.
This is true. And minors cannot sit at the bar counter.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 AM

cheers- all helpful. will find a pub that serves food.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM

10,535 posts, read 14,059,997 times
A club that we frequent in Ventura is licensed as a resteraunt untill 10pm. After 10PM it is 21 and over. Then again the action doesn't start untill after 10 anyway.

You may find some places that are under 21 clubs. I think Florentine Gardens is set up like that, or was in the past.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,995,220 times
there are all ages clubs in hollywood. arena night club has an all ages nights. but they would probably need a ride afterward.
otherwise they will NOT be allowed into bars. all the fun bars, even the ones with food like library bar in downtown LA, have strict over 21 enforcement.
the best thing to do is end up at a restaurant like the yardhouse or weilands brewery (before a certain time) and eat, but not drink. weilands would be good after a trip around j-town.
i would also suggest that they take in shopping on melrose and not the grove or those other sanitized areas. melrose is so much better for teens and early 20s'. but before they go there have them go to santee alley in downtown. a lot of what you see on melrose comes from the garment district and santee alley is right in the garment district. great deals. t shirts. jeans. bootleg CD's, sunglasses. quintessential LA experience. santee is a day event. grab lunch in dtla, walk around the alleys and on your way out grab a TJ DOG (AKA danger dog[hotdog wrapped in bacon]).

pasadenas also a great place to walk around. both in old town and at the paseo colorado.

if you want them to experience LA food. find your nearest In n Out. roscoes chicken and waffle. pinkberry yogurt. maybe you can even have them catch at a show at one of the local music venues (wiltern, orpheum are both rail accessible).

lots to do in this great city of ours.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:31 PM

The oneJaq and Jaq Bird Lolly Chalk Mats

Thanks for that really useful advice- i sent them to down town today to cliftons/walt d hall/bradbury and moca and they said they wanted to go to the garment /fashion district which they had heard about in london- which may be where you are describing.they also want to find the vintage clothing shops which i am guessing may be on vermount.

in and out is on menu for saturday and farmers market in pasadena tomorrow night but i did not know about melrose so will work out how to get them there.

i wonder of they can get to santa monica from highland park on an overland train from union maybe??will research the places you have both suggested.

thanks everyone- most helpful as usual on here.they are loving it so far.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 PM

502 posts, read 621,049 times
Note, I haven't really taken into account accessibility by public transport.

If into museums:

Huntington Library & Gardens in San Marino (near Pasadena)
Norton Simon (Pasadena)
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA--two locations in downtown)
Museum of Tolerance (West L.A.)
Getty Villa (the original, now overshadowed Getty, a reproduction of a Roman villa at Herculaneum)
Aquarium of the Pacific (in Long Beach but accessible via Blue Line)
California Science Center--there is a "Mummies of the World" special exhibit running through November 2010 (requires pricey admission). The CSC is one of a group of museums at Exposition Park including the Natural History Museum and the California African-American Museum.
La Brea Tar Pits

If into the offbeat:

Museum of Jurassic Technology (Culver City)
Museum of Death (Hollywood)

If into cars:
The Petersen Automotive Museum (museum row)

If really, really into cars:
The Nethercutt Collection (Sylmar)

Griffith Observatory
Griffith Park in general is cool and has a carousel and trains.

Bob Baker Marionette Theatre (reputedly the longest-running puppet theatre in the U.S.)

If into flea markets (great for shopping & people watching--note, these are held once a month, on a Sunday):

Rose Bowl (Pasadena; 2nd Sunday of month; mammoth; requires admission)
Pasadena City College (Pasadena; 1st Sunday; free)
Long Beach Flea Market (2nd Sunday; requires admission)
The L.A. Flea Market (just debuted in July at Dodger Stadium; admission required)

A lot of kids scour thrift shops for cool duds. The primary chains are: Out of the Closet, Goodwill and Salvation Army.

Amoeba Music in Hollywood is a mecca for the music/video lover.

The Smell is a now quite famous all-ages music venue in downtown L.A. They have great shows and a low cover (usually $5) but some people will be put off by the somewhat gritty location (in an alley), especially by the time the last band has played.

Snag some cheap seats at the Hollywood Bowl or Greek Theatre and absorb the quintessential L.A. summer concert experience.

Downtown L.A. (DTLA) in general is a great place to explore and safety shouldn't be an issue during the day (maybe avoid skid row or anyplace that feels uncomfortable; is Pershing Square still sketchy?) Check out the Central Library, Grand Central Market & Broadway in general, Olvera St., Disney Hall/Music Center, Little Tokyo, historic Chinatown, Angel's Flight funicular. As mentioned earlier, DTLA has many "districts:" garment, flower, fabric, toy, jewelry; you can pick up pinatas or a quinceanera dress. Eat at Philippe, Cole's, The Pantry or Clifton's for a taste of yesteryear. I hear American Apparel is in financial straits but they have an outlet store at their factory in DTLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles