Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 67,201 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

The company i am contracting with at the moment has a position in their offices in Arcadia and Monrovia. What are these places like? Ideally wanted to be close to the coast but i can see from the map these places are probably 40 miles from the coast. This is probably too far to travel everyday isn't it, say Santa Monica or Marina Del Ray to Arcadia? If i wanted to travel say no more than 45 minutes to work where would a good palce be...towards the coastal area mind. Thanks!

As it is i am used to travelling for 2 hours for a round trip to work.

What time does the rush hour kick in LA (morning and night)? Google maps told me driving shoud would take 2 hours from Santa Monica to Arcadia for a 45 mile drive. I reckon i could handle an hour driving each way but not 2.

Thanks

Laurence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 AM

26,573 posts, read 26,433,288 times
You'd be going against traffic if you drove from Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey to Arcadia or Monrovia, so it's doubtful that it would take you two hours one way. OTOH, that's an awfully long drive every day. Arcadia and Monrovia are suburban, mostly conservative cities that are family oriented. The smog factor is higher since they're inland.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM

It's good to be going against the traffic but yes it is a long drive everyday. Back here in London i let the train take the strain and chill out with a book or paper during my commute.

Shame the offices are there, i don't really want to live in suburbia as i have no dependents and like to party at weekends plus i haven't lived by the coast since i was a kid in LA. Would be wonderful to wake up to the sea every day...and i don't particularly want ths smog either!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:41 AM

4,482 posts, read 9,241,814 times
Seal Beach or Long Beach would be closer - probably as close as you could get. It'd still be an hour and a half in traffic.

You'll have to live with the smog. In Arcadia and Monrovia it's at its worst in the mid-late afternoon. Then you'll have the long drive home, just looking at concrete and cars, contributing to the smog yourself. So for 11-13 hours/day you'll be away from home and the beach anyway.

On the other hand, you could find somewhere closer (Pasadena?), discover an appreciation for the mountains, and head for the beach on the weekends.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,266,155 times
I've seen so many posts from transplants who want to live in a community with a desirable feature (such as urban nightlife, coastline) despite the distance from their actual job. In reality, the long commute will probably sap your energy (not to mention your wallet for gasoline costs) that it isn't worth it. Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Redondo Beach to Monrovia is a long, long way, and the I-10 freeway is pretty hellish.

I would concur with sil3454 that you're probably better off to find a closer community that is desirable such as Pasadena, lots of nice archietecture, character, and is pretty close to the mountains, and save your coast/beach visits for the weekends.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
If you take on that commute you'll be spending so much time in the car that you won't have time to enjoy the beach when you DO get home. I agree with the others that you're better off living closer to your work and going to the beach on weekends. You don't have to live in suburbia; Pasadena or somewhere like that still has nightlife, and is a lot easier.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,812,123 times
I think you'll be happier living in a place like Pasadena. The coast is great and all, but once the novelty wears off after a year or two, you'll be wishing you lived closer to work most likely. Additionally, you'll be able to take the light rail transit downtown to hit up the Thursday night art walks and all the cool new restaurants and bars downt there.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1000 View Post
Hi guys,

The company i am contracting with at the moment has a position in their offices in Arcadia and Monrovia. What are these places like? Ideally wanted to be close to the coast but i can see from the map these places are probably 40 miles from the coast. This is probably too far to travel everyday isn't it, say Santa Monica or Marina Del Ray to Arcadia? If i wanted to travel say no more than 45 minutes to work where would a good palce be...towards the coastal area mind. Thanks!

As it is i am used to travelling for 2 hours for a round trip to work.

What time does the rush hour kick in LA (morning and night)? Google maps told me driving shoud would take 2 hours from Santa Monica to Arcadia for a 45 mile drive. I reckon i could handle an hour driving each way but not 2.

Thanks

Laurence

Forget the beach areas, enjoy them on weekends. If you are young and single you may want to consider Pasadena. It is a great town for young professionals. Another posibilty is Sierra Madre, but there are not as many singles there.

Both Ar and Monrovia are great communities. Aracadia is more family friendly and Monrovia is similar but not as upscale.

Nita

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1000 View Post
It's good to be going against the traffic but yes it is a long drive everyday. Back here in London i let the train take the strain and chill out with a book or paper during my commute.

Shame the offices are there, i don't really want to live in suburbia as i have no dependents and like to party at weekends plus i haven't lived by the coast since i was a kid in LA. Would be wonderful to wake up to the sea every day...and i don't particularly want ths smog either!
Larry, even against the traffic I wouldn't consider the commute. It isn't against traffic the entire way, only after you get past the L.A. basin.

Nita

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the response everyone. It seems the dream of coastal living wouldn't be worth it (such a shame). I spoke to my dad and he said even back in '82 it took an 1.5 hrs to get from Sunset Beach to Pasadena! Crazy!

I think i have been spoilt over here using public transport. A 10 mile drive in London takes an hour so i know how pointless it can be to commute by car.

As long as i am in an urban area with young people and things to do that'll be fine, as you say at the weekend i can hit the beach if i want. All i need is a fairly nice, safe-ish area to live so i can meet people (i don't know anyone in LA), keep fit, party at weekends etc. I have always lived in big cities and have enjoyed holidays/vacations to other big cities so would prob be a little lost/bored in a small quiet place.

All this and the job isn't a definite anyway! lol. Still better to be prepared than leave to last minute - i had that situation going to work in Madrid last year and my life was chaos for 7 days before arriving there. Nobody needs that stress.

Laurence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles