U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 AM

24 posts, read 41,402 times
Default Personal Chef in LA

used to work as a personal chef in NY/Hamptons area for 5-6 years, but then started my business in FL..., and close it last year..., now i would like to relocate in LA working again as personal chef>>prefer the live-in positions, i love this way of living>>you stay close to your boss and family, help them on a dayli basis, not only cooking but also shopping etc., they are happy, i am happy..., used to work on an hour basis, also - you give certain amount of hours to the family but you also work something outside..., do you have some suggestions for people who might need similar help??? appreciate, gina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM

17 posts, read 21,528 times
What are your specialties?

I am looking for a personal chef, for the record.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM

in my humble opinion french cooking is the base of all cooking and I love to work the classic way but also love to experience - Southern, Cajun, Moroccan, anything..., Indian????, Mexican - not too much..., and then comes my native and the top of the cream, Mediteranean..., after many years I realized that the first habitants of Europe (just reading History of Europe, by Dr. J.M.Roberts), Greek, Romans knew The Best, grains, greens, natural, healthy..., this is TODAY's kitchen, and yes, this is my style (the last did not eliminate the first, the French.... but just for my guests....)

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM

4,889 posts, read 6,317,135 times
How did you get so good to be a private chef?

Why don't you either get a job in the restaurant industry, or start your own restaurant?

I'm a very aggressive and savvy amateur chef (but I'd never get a job doing that). But in my experience although I really love French and Mediterranean cooking, I think it would be a big oversight to not also recognize Asian cooking: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc.

And as long as I'm expressing my feelings, IMO Julia Child was one of the best chefs ever (I've got three big Julia Child cookbooks) and a very respectable nod to Bobby Flay who unfortunately I can't cook hardly any of his recipes but I know he's great too! Okay and let's not leave out Rick Bayless (Mexico one plate at a time) and Steven Raichlen (BBQ University, Primal Grill).

Foodies and those who love to cook have got a lot of great masters!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM

nobody wants me in restaurants, even for a sous chef..., no experience, understandable, applied but not much..., used to own small restaurant/coffee shop, made my own menu, panini..., lost it, bad location, bad management, economy..., and I like more to stay in the home kitchens, so working for other people (marvelouse kitchens!!!) is making me believe that i work in "my kitchen"..., how I become private chef - funny, 20 years ago i came in NY, young immigrant with no papers, no skills but with master degree in French History and Litterature (although I am Bulgarian nationality), people here thinks that if you speak French you should cook..., so one Agency placed me in a family as a chef, then other, other family, some celebrities etc.... (i "knew" how to cook, in Bulgaria if you are married woman, you should cook...), naturaly curiouse, with the years i learned, and the more i lernead the more i discovered the ART in the cooking..., you know how is..., it is interesting that we like same cooking, same chefs..., Julia Child should have a monument here, first lady to dare to introduce French cooking...

Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,499,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrazier0912 View Post
I am looking for a personal chef
Here's a recent article on a home chef service in L.A.:Chefs who make house calls - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles