Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times

Advertisements

I knew someone who moved to Houston, and within six months she had moved back here - all because of the weather. JerZ, please check into Houston very thoroughly before deciding to move there! By the way, if your husband's from here, he'll probably find the Houston weather pretty unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 261,966 times
Houston is not that bad... maybe she moved to a bad area.

Move to an upperscale, newer area like The Woodlands and you will like it. It honestly is not that hot... its bearable, and you have A/C in your car.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not Kidding. I grew up in Canoga Park. Houston is hotter. Humidity is killer.

But...

If I were going to spend $500K today and I had a choice between Houston and West Hills I'd take Houston over West Hills.

Houston, 5000 sq feet, Brick, granite, custom everything, good demographics, maybe even a dock on the bay in Clear Lake. (By the way, you get this kind of value in other places too: Colorado Springs, Huntsville, AL, the Carolinas....jobs in these places too. Ah shucks: There's no movie stars though.)
Attachment 4700

West Hills, 1300 sq feet, LAUSD, 50 year old house, next door neighbor parks his car on his lawn and you pay him to mow your lawn. (He bought his house in 1973 for $45K, He's your kind of guy, right?)
Attachment 4701

The West Hills house ought to be in this video:

YouTube - Dr. Housing Bubble - Real Homes of Genius
Hey, West Hills is not all like that. The 500k Houston home is nice, but you would pay property taxes through the nose though.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Hey, West Hills is not all like that.
You are correct. But the $500K homes are.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I knew someone who moved to Houston, and within six months she had moved back here - all because of the weather. JerZ, please check into Houston very thoroughly before deciding to move there! By the way, if your husband's from here, he'll probably find the Houston weather pretty unbearable.
I wonder about people who move from A to B and then back to A again as in the case above. Don't they do their research? Don't these people check out the weather, crime (including maps of sex offenders, child abusers), schools, job situation, traffic patterns, political climate, civic initiatives, construction, zoning laws, culture, demographics, local taxes, etc.? All this information is a few clicks away. City-Data and its forums are great sources. Sure, sometimes things happen unexpectedly but from what I've read, it seems people go back to A again because they didn't know something they easily could have researched. I downloaded three years of daily weather data and every school performance data set I could find. I read local newspapers, went to Department of Transportation web pages, viewed TV stations' internet news broadcasts, checked out job potential of employers other than my own, researched sports leagues for the kids, set up Google alerts for information on the new area, and contacted people in the HOAs where I might consider living. Guess what? No surprises. Good decision based on research.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times
From what I've seen - people don't dig in and give the new city enough time. I cried everyday for the first 6 months I lived in LA - but I got over it - I met friends, I learned to drive on the freeway without breaking out in hives - and though I don't love LA by any means - by year 2 I got to a point where I was actually happy living here. Of course you're going to be homesick the first year or so in a new place - if you focus on that the entire time - then of course you'll be ready to move back.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Thanks, everyone, for all your help.

It's probably moot now because my husband has pretty much decided against Houston, period. So I don't need to think about it or research it.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
From what I've seen - people don't dig in and give the new city enough time. I cried everyday for the first 6 months I lived in LA - but I got over it - I met friends, I learned to drive on the freeway without breaking out in hives - and though I don't love LA by any means - by year 2 I got to a point where I was actually happy living here. Of course you're going to be homesick the first year or so in a new place - if you focus on that the entire time - then of course you'll be ready to move back.
Hey there! Connecticut, cool. Can I ask why you're moving if you liked LA? Just curious. Have you lived in the northeast before?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM

330 posts, read 1,402,214 times
I have not lived in the Northeast - I'm an South Carolina native -been in LA 4 years - and now hubby has a job at a school there - so off we go. I'm happy to go back to the East Coast - our parents and extended family members are getting older - and we really need to be able to get home quickly if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles