Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,277,483 times

Advertisements

I've been searching through old posts, some even made about Northridge fairly recently, but haven't really gotten any answers.

I think I'm looking to move there in a couple weeks.

I'm young, in my early 20s. Is Northridge going to be a miserable place for someone who doesn't have a family, and likes to be out and about?

I've driven up there several times, but haven't really explored outside the immediate area of CSUN, where I'm taking classes.

There doesn't seem to be much around there. Any decent bars, sports bars, shops, restaurants, bookstores? My favorite place to just hang out is at a Barnes and Nobles. Where's the closest one?

Any better communities with some entertainment a short drive away? Possibly to live in with still being a short drive(maybe even a bike ride) away from CSUN?

I'm nervous about ending up in the middle of suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Is Northridge going to be a miserable place for someone who doesn't have a family, and likes to be out and about?

CSUN, where I'm taking classes.

Barnes and Nobles. Where's the closest one?

These concerns have been brought up before and, for the most part Northridge is pretty suburban. The "fun" spots might be a drive. The consensus amongst the posts I've read is you can drive to the happening places on weekends - when you aren't studying - like during the week.

Do a search on northridge csun clubs single bars bands

You weren't able to use the internet to find a B&N near a particular location? What are you majoring in?

Old 12-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These concerns have been brought up before and, for the most part Northridge is pretty suburban. The "fun" spots might be a drive. The consensus amongst the posts I've read is you can drive to the happening places on weekends - when you aren't studying - like during the week.

Do a search on northridge csun clubs single bars bands

You weren't able to use the internet to find a B&N near a particular location? What are you majoring in?
Actually, I tried searching on Yelp, nothing came up. And I used a Barnes and Noble store locator, and it showed the nearest one being across the hill, but I know that can't be right.

Edit:
Scratch that..there's one in Studio City.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,709,419 times
I have heard that Northridge is like a suburban-urban neighborhood of LA. The whole Los Angeles Metro has been all kind of mushed together from bad urban sprawling. All of the once used to be typical suburbs have all been urbanized except in agoura hills and calabasas area. every where else is urban, ex-urban, or suburban-urban. Northridge used to be a suburban neighborhood of downtown LA, but now it's a suburban-urban place where most work in the SF Valley, and then some commute to downtown sometimes.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Actually, I tried searching on Yelp, nothing came up. And I used a Barnes and Noble store locator, and it showed the nearest one being across the hill, but I know that can't be right.

Edit:
Scratch that..there's one in Studio City.
I meant searching the City-Data Los Angeles forum. You can for text in the body of posts and search for text in titles of threads. I know I've seen posts almost identical to yours.

For B&N looks like there used to be one on Tampa but now only Woodland Hills and Encino

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...44632&t=h&z=12

Old 12-14-2008, 12:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,596,514 times
Quote:
I'm young, in my early 20s. Is Northridge going to be a miserable place for someone who doesn't have a family, and likes to be out and about?
Honestly, if you're young and like to be out and about, I can't see you liking Northridge. You're going to have to drive quite a distance to reach any of LA's lively districts.

Quote:
Well suburbia is what the Valley built its reputation on. I'm bored living in Burbank and apparently Burbank's one of the more "happening" sections of the Valley. The best SFV neighborhoods for a young person IMO are Sherman Oaks and and Studio City. I know they're quite a haul from Northridge, but pretty much anything in the Western/Northern/Central Valley is either going to be pure suburbia or slums.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Well suburbia is what the Valley built its reputation on. I'm bored living in Burbank and apparently Burbank's one of the more "happening" sections of the Valley. The best SFV neighborhoods for a young person IMO are Sherman Oaks and and Studio City. I know they're quite a haul from Northridge, but pretty much anything in the Western/Northern/Central Valley is either going to be pure suburbia or slums.
Westwood, downtown, Venice Beach, Mid-Wilshire, and Hollywood are probably the happening and urban parts of Los Angeles. Everything is urban in the city, but some parts are like urban-suburban and urban-rural with suburban or rural characteristics. That's why I think the best urban experiences is in a city's downtown. LA is so big though it has 5 urban parts of the city-westwood (UCLA), Venice Beach (play area), Mid-Wilshire (bsuiness district), and Hollywood and downtown LA (business, play, and residential areas)

Northridge, and practically every other part of LA used to be a suburb of the downtown. Long Beach and Oxnard also used to be suburbs too. Now, with traffic you have Oxnard as an ex-urban city, Long Beach as an urban city, and pretty much anywhere that is not one of the urban neighborhoods I listed, is a highly urbanized inner suburb of Los Angeles-Northridge, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, Pomona, etc...

The whole LA area just mushes together looking like one. It's an urban mess.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm going to CSUN in 2009 btw, and I don't mind that it is a highly urbanized suburban neighborhood of the city. I wouldn't like living in Westwood, Mid-Wilshire, Downtown, Hollywood, or Venice Beach with all the traffic, crimes, and crowds. I like Northridge for being a good campus and being near a mall, and being a safer part of LA. It's still pretty busy and well developed in Northridge and not a true "suburban" neighborhood since it's in an urban city.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:54 PM

53 posts, read 542,776 times
Most of the bars and clubs in the valley are on ventura blvd, but hollywood isn't that far. I make the drive from northridge to hollywood pretty frequently on weekends, it usually takes 20-30 min to get there depending on what time you leave.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I meant searching the City-Data Los Angeles forum. You can for text in the body of posts and search for text in titles of threads. I know I've seen posts almost identical to yours.

For B&N looks like there used to be one on Tampa but now only Woodland Hills and Encino

barnes noble - Google Maps
Yeah, I searched a little through them. I guess I wanted the personal touch.

Aw, bummer, so there used to be one right down the street from campus. That sucks.

Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles