Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,276,184 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for a few years now and I've always wanted to get back into camping but I still haven't gone yet since moving here. I'm looking for some ideas of nice places to go in the general LA area that are safe for my fiance and I. We are going to tent camp and we want something where we won't have to worry about being killed/mugged or something while we sleep.
We also don't want a place that isn't too urban camping, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea where to even begin looking. I know there's tons of spots in the area but I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Right here:

Above Roads End and Johnsondale Quaking Aspen, Aspen Meadows CA - Google Maps

We've camped here many times. Just pull of the road and get onto old logging roads. Totally remote. Great in summer because it is higher altitude and not too hot. Firewood everywhere. Small creeks everywhere. Beautiful meadows, Dome Rock, rafting, fishing, rock slides all within about an hour drive.

Check out this existing thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...a-camping.html

[text below extracted from one of my previous posts]

If you drive up Highway 190 from Springfield towards the Tule River you can have a blast at these rock slides. Here are a few shots of my buddies enjoying the slides and jumps back around 1988. Note my friend Bob wearing the bike helmet.

We'd camp further near the Aspen Meadows above Johnsondale and Roads End. Even in the hottest part of summer it was cool at night at around 8000 or 9000 feet. Lots of wide open spaces to go four wheeling. Great fishing in the Kern River and on Isabella. Many, many fun times there in the Sequoia Forest there. Many good places to camp on CR-107, the Western Divide Highway. Dome Rock and Elephant Knob are worth visiting.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,971,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I've lived here for a few years now and I've always wanted to get back into camping but I still haven't gone yet since moving here. I'm looking for some ideas of nice places to go in the general LA area that are safe for my fiance and I. We are going to tent camp and we want something where we won't have to worry about being killed/mugged or something while we sleep.
We also don't want a place that isn't too urban camping, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea where to even begin looking. I know there's tons of spots in the area but I'd love some suggestions.

Thanks!
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area:
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - Camping Facilities (U.S. National Park Service)

Angeles National Forest:
Angeles National Forest - Developed Campgrounds

Cleveland National Forest (scroll down to those campgrounds in the Trabuco Ranger district, which covers the Santa Ana Mountains):
Cleveland National Forest - Campground, Trailheads, Picnic Areas

Chino Hills State Park:
Chino Hills SP

Crystal Cove State Park:
Crystal Cove SP

Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
I like anywhere around Malibu. Also love the area above Ojai.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
I have a perfect starter for you ZenMaster:

Cachuma Lake Recreation Area

Quote:
Set amidst acres of wilderness flanked by the picturesque Santa Ynez and San Rafael Mountains, lies glimmering Cachuma Lake. Here you will find practically everything you need for a relaxing getaway in the great outdoors. Mild temperatures, typically sunny skies, and celebrated fishing conditions make camping here during winter months exceptionally rewarding. While our single campsites are first come, first served, we do offer a number of alternative camping opportunities, reservable in advance (1 or 2 BR cabins, equipped trailers, yurts...).

Located off scenic Highway 154 in the Santa Ynez Valley, Cachuma Lake is midway between the beaches and bustle of Santa Barbara and the Danish Community of Solvang. At any age... in any season... you'll find that the Cachuma Lake Recreation Area offers a fun and relaxing getaway.
You can drive there in a half a day (recommend Thursday of non-holiday weekend in order to get campsite) and if you don't like it you can always jump in your car and get home in perhaps 4 hours or less.

I haven't been there in quite a long time but I recall the lake is popular for water skiing.

I'll think a bit and maybe add some more suggestions in future posts.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
Lake Cahuma and Lake Casitas in Ojai are both man made lakes used for the supply of water. You can not swim, water ski, jet ski, ride a canoe or Kayak on either. You can fish on both and use a boat. I know at Casitas that you need to drop off your boat 10 days in advance if you want to use it there. The state has a problem with parasites from other water ways. Cachuma may be the same. Both have rentals though.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,276,184 times
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions so far. Looks like I have quite a bit of looking around to do!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Here's another suggestion for you ZenMaster.

Joshua Tree National Park

Here's a link to a bunch of images.

I live in Northridge and it takes me 2 hours to drive to Joshua Tree NP, and you're closer so it would take even less time. It's sort of towards Palm Springs and then just before you reach PS you take a left (northeast) up towards 29 Palms and I think that's the Morongo Valley.

You camp at J-Tree in the fall or spring and you have to pick an appropriate time to get nice weather. It is hot as hell in the middle of the summer, and could be quite cold during winter storms and probably even get snow.

I really like the desert and J-Tree is one of my favorite places in California. It's so close to civilization that you can make a run on the supermarket for more beer in just a few minutes, or you can take a short hike and get complete solitude.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 34,837 times
I lovelovelove Joshua Tree. Jumbo Rocks has some of my favorite camp sites.

If you want to stick to the foothills, my dad used to take us to a small little campsite called Monte Cristo. There is plenty of easy hiking and the creek is a fun diversion when it is running.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 AM

I'm not even going to tell where my own favorite part of J-Tree is. There's a lot of solitude there and if I blab it all over the Internet my solitude is going to disappear. So wherever it is, it's somewhere within the park boundary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles