Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 PM

14 posts, read 52,352 times

Advertisements

These boards are fantastic, and thanks in advance for any input on this question I have!

I've decided to move to West Hollywood (coming from the east coast) after reading about neighborhood pros and cons in LA. It's about 30 minutes to work in rush hour traffic, so I'm ok with that. What are the official boundary roads for WeHo (separating it from Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc)? Additionally, what are the best "areas" to live in, as far as *walking distance* to grocery stores, farmer's markets, laid back bars, and coffee shops? I've heard Santa Monica and Sunset are lively roads, but I'm not sure if I should live between the two, closer to one, etc.

I am a gay male in my 20s, so living in the "gayer" area (if there is one! haha) of WeHo is completely fine with me. Actually, I'm hoping by living here, I will have a slightly easier time of meeting new friends in the community.

Again, thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 27,809 times
There are probably a lot of "best areas" to live in WeHo, as it's a great area. I am in the process of moving out of WeHo myself (purely due to money issues) but have loved my stay here.

For the last five years I lived right between Sunset and Santa Monica, near the Astro Burger on Santa Monica and it was fantastic! Walking distance to everything you mentioned plus more (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, nightlife...)

And with a 5-10 min car drive, I can be at the Grauman's Chinese, the Arclight, The Grove, and just about any "happening" spot on Sunset, Hollywood or Melrose. So I would highly recommend this particular area.

Just google for the Astro Burger on Santa Monica Blvd., then map out a 1-2 square mile area around that center point and go apartment/house hunting. Can't go wrong.

I'm not gay myself, but the area is mostly gay/lesbian with a lot of older (straight) Russian people who migrated here in the 1970s.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM

245 posts, read 712,469 times
For a very gay area you might want to google up Norma Triangle. It's an area closest to the more popular clubs near Santa Monica and San Vicente. Outside of the triangle is very gay also and that's where my partner and I live. Streets between Sunset and Santa Monica can get a little claustrophobic while Santa Monica to Melrose offers some more breathing room. Santa Monica is where you'll find a more gay atmosphere while Sunset is more straight. These days, however, Sunset is turning gayer from my experience. Either area whether it's Sunset, Santa Monica, and Melrose, clubs, cafes, restaurant, and shopping are all within short walking distance. My only suggestion is to stick to west of Crescent Heights that intersects Santa Monica, Melrose, and Sunset. It's not that you won't be happy east of it, but for a gay guy I find it's just slightly livelier to the west.

Glad you're moving to LA. There are actually other gay areas around here. Silver Lake is also known for it's a little older gay population with nice relaxing bars. There are also other places dispersed throughout the city.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 52,352 times
Thanks, guys, for your help.

I'm assuming outside of CraigsList and WestsideRentals, driving through the neighborhood looking for an apartment can be the best way to find a place? I'm taking a trip out there in a week to apartment hunt before my move to do just that. I've never done that, however, so I'm nervous about crossing my fingers too hard for a great un-listed (online) place.

ozzymandius--is your old place available to rent?

FrostyThe2nd--thanks for the boundary roads. I was hoping for a description just like the one you gave.

Any other comments from the board members?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
You are doing things exactly right, hit the town for a couple days. My daughter drove through several neighborhoods that she had heard about but wasn't thrilled with them, but once she found an area she liked she found a place listed on Westside rentals and ended up signing a lease the day after she got there. There are also TONS of "for rent" signs everywhere and if you see a street or neighborhood that appeals to you there will probably be something there to rent.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,361 times
I am a gay male myself and I really like the West Hollywood area, but I wouldn't live there. The area is too busy and I get annoyed quick by the overly crowded streets and places. It helps to have a job within WeHo to avoid driving out of the area. Driving in and out of WeHo is a pain in the butt. Anywhere in WeHo is a good place to live. I would suggest you live near supermarkets so you can avoid driving to do a quick grocery errands.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,988 times
If you're young and without a family, West Hollywood is probably the best place in the LA area to live in, straight or gay (but even more if you're gay). Everything is walkable, you really don't need a car unless your drive is a far walking distance. The West Hollywood/Mid wilshire area is probably about as central and accessible as you're gonna get in LA.

The gay part of West Hollywood runs along Santa Monica Boulevard from Robertson Boulevard to La Brea Avenue, with many gays living north and south of SMB along there too. It does get progressively less gay east of Crescent Heights though.

It also gets cheaper as you go east... the rent in the western part of West Hollywood rivals some of the most expensive parts of LA county as its right where most of the nightlife is and close to Beverly Hills and the sunset strip. If you go east of La Cienega, it's still very gay and active but a bit cheaper.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Several years ago we used to live at the corner of Sunset/La Cienega. We used to walk a lot. We were right there at the Sunset Plaza with lots of shops and restaurants. We moved out when the House of Blues moved in. After HOB, it was impossible to sleep at night with all the car alarms going off. But, it was a really happening place and I kind of miss it in a way.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
I lived in WeHo about 10 years ago (in my 20s) and it was a LOT of fun! I lived at Mediterranean Village Apartment Homes and it was very gay, very friendly, and very fun. Walking distance to lots of gay bars. Great pool (lots of eye candy). My neighbor across the hall threw some very wild (and fun) parties.

I would think it's the perfect place for a gay guy in his 20s. But, it's not for everyone. I had a couple of gay friends who loved visiting but found it to be "too gay" to live there, heh.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM

425 posts, read 958,596 times
on the subject of walkable, how is an area like Los Feliz in that regard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles