Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 12:48 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,684,919 times

Advertisements

Well,

I'm finding out for myself after all these years that this heat in LA really isn't as bad as I previously thought. I know that we have had a cooler than usual summer so this is the strange thing, well, one of the strange things. I find myself really getting used to this heat. So much so that maybe on a subconscious level I like it? Could it be? I've actually realized all summer up to this point that my body has fully adapted to the conditions here. It is supposed to be around 98 degrees in Glendale tomorrow so we are warming up.

I do experience tiredness from the heat but nowadays, that won't dampen my enthusiasm for life. But I think that when you are in a good mood and you consistently feel that way, it is infectious because that causes you to enjoy just about everything. I do hope this thread stays open for a while. I just wanted to discuss the heat in LA and how I think it is actually not as bad as I previously thought. I still go outside and exercise when it is 90+ degrees outside. The key is to drink lots of fluids and to wear light colored clothing. How many of you think that the heat in LA/S. Cal. is actually not that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Today was pretty bad in Pasadena [over 100F] and tomorrow is suppose to be worst but after the coolest summer on record who cares if it gets hot for a few days?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 AM

787 posts, read 1,934,688 times
Well...I am shocked that you've come around a bit lately.

In this thread you were extolling the virtues of San Franico's summer weather. Of course, Mark Twain (the ultimate satirist) had some thoughts on that (even if he really didn't say it).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-has-best.html

The plain and simple truth is that the summers in Los Angeles are about as pleasant as ANYWHERE in the entire United States. Trust me, I did a stint in on the east coast. The winters were tolerable but those summers BLOW. If you are complaining now...they'd have to send you to Bellvue if you lived anywhere on the eastern seaboard for a summer.

Of course, if you really prefer a cold and foggy summer and want to pay higher rents/mortgage costs, San Franisco is always willing and ready for you.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:58 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,684,919 times
I'd like to address a few points here: first of all, yes I did in fact praise San Francisco's summer weather and that's mainly because I have been a person whose body deals better with the cooler temperatures and I have always felt fresher and more energetic when the weather is in the 60s compared to when it is in the 90s or 100s. Also it is part of human nature that humans will adapt to the conditions they live in if they are exposed to them long enough(at least that's what happened in my case).

Secondly, the pleasant summers that the poster above me mentions depends on where in LA we are referring to as LA has what are called microclimates. The coastal areas tend to be cooler than the inland areas. It also depends on personal preference too. I really think it is because I have adapted to the conditions here but it may be too soon to tell. I think I'd have to spend more time in this heat to determine that. I have been VERY critical of LA summers for years. I'll admit that but that was then and this is now. Yes, I do think it is strange that I feel this way about the summers here because if someone hates heat, they'll always hate it. Well, the fact that I have changed is most definitely better for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles