Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 59,836 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I just moved to Long Beach from Chicago and am looking for things to do, places to check out, websites that might help. I am, I guess what they would call, a liberal hipster. I love folk, jazz, blues, funk-lets just say I love music, especially live. I love coffee shops, book stores, art galleries. I guess what it comes down to is that I have a passion for culture. But I'm new to the area and don't know where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago81 View Post
Hey guys,
so i moved to Long Beach 2 years ago from Chicago and I HATE it. I'm a musician and a writer and I plan to move up to Berkeley to go back for my masters in Journalism. I can't stand the culture in Southern California. The people here have no spirit, no pride in where they live. Their lives revolve around their breast implants and when their next pedicure is. You go out for an evening and everyone is just to cool for their own good. Everyone walks around looking so bored! Ugh! Anyway, I can't wait to leave. I've considered going back to Chicago but I do love the weather out here-the mid-west winters are brutal. My one concern-is the culture better up north? I've visited San Francisco before and I loved it-the people seemed so laid back. Is Northern California culture different from Southern California culture?
i thought you were trying to get out of socal. you're probably better leaving if this is how you feel. i personally like long beach though, the entire coastal stretch from downtown to belmont shore is easily bikeable and has something from everyone whether you're gay, a yuppie, or a punk. anyways, i hope things work out for you.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Tonight there's the Rivets and Rockets exhibit downtown on Pine. It's free. I think there'll be music there too. You can probably walk to the Dollar Bookstore (everything's a dollar). Not brilliantly organized but there are great finds (for $1!). Alex's Bar is closer to the traffic circle, but it can get crowded and loud. Go on a weekday instead to scope the place out. Unfortunately, if you watch True Blood on HBO, this is where the bar "Fangtasia" is filmed so it might've changed some. But I recall it was a pretty cool place with, importantly, pretty cheap drinks and taps. And even when there are bands playing it's usually a cheap cover.

Tomorrow's the BuskerFest, also free, downtown. You might enjoy it. The common theme of all the free summer street events has been environmentalism. Solar powered stages, bike valets, and the like. If you want to get involved, there are booths. Ask someone.

San Pedro has changed. This is Chuck Bukowski's old haunt but much is different. Still, though there's not much there anymore and the town's on the verge of big development, I like The Whale & Ale English pub. A little pricey but just a nice place, nice owner, good people. (NOT FAKE.)

Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM

10 posts, read 59,836 times
I'm doing a little research, I intend to leave no matter what. Just want to make sure I experienced everything I could before I leave for Berkeley. And it's not long beach I have a problem with, it's the cities around long beach. I work in Orange County. Thank you for your advice.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
you'll find this up north but go get some Peets Coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles