U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:13 PM

23 posts, read 14,486 times
Smile Cities in LA

What are the cities right next to/if not in downtown LA?

Please list as many as possible, oh and if they are good or bad areas... thanks!!! OH! and the average cost of an apartment in the area if possible...

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,882,747 times
Only Los Angeles is near downtown LA. I live in Pasadena which is around 10 miles from downtown and Glendale may be a little closer. West Hollywood is probably 5+ miles away from downtown and Beverly Hills is a few more miles further out. Burbank is probably 10 miles; also Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. I think these cities are the closest to downtown.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Only Los Angeles is near downtown LA. I live in Pasadena which is around 10 miles from downtown and Glendale may be a little closer. West Hollywood is probably 5+ miles away from downtown and Beverly Hills is a few more miles further out. Burbank is probably 10 miles; also Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. I think these cities are the closest to downtown.
I want to be able to survive off public transit for a bit.. before I have to be rushed to by a car... possible if I move close to downtown?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

If you want to live near downtown there are many areas to consider especially if you want to rely on public transit. Anywhere along the Gold Line from Pasadena into downtown and out to East LA are plenty of residential areas; some are expensive [parts of Pasadena & South Pasadena] and some are reasonable [Highland Pk, Cypress Pk, Chinatown, Boyle Hts, East LA] but with some neighborhoods having gang activity. Echo Pk and Silver Lake are accessible to downtown by bus. Hollywood is close-by along the Red Line subway and has plenty of affordable neighborhoods; also North Hollywood & Studio City. The Blue Line goes into south-central LA but that area has more crime\ gangs than the other neighborhoods I mentioned although it is not bad around USC. Once the Exposition Line opens it will allow a person fast transit from as far away as Culver City.

Rents are generally from $800 up to over $2000 for fairly nice\ safe areas.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
some are reasonable [Highland Pk, Cypress Pk, Chinatown, Boyle Hts, East LA] but with some neighborhoods having gang activity.

Are there any neighborhoods in particular that have gang activity? I'd like to stay away from these.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingOver! View Post
Are there any neighborhoods in particular that have gang activity? I'd like to stay away from these.
East LA to Highland Pk along the Gold Line have gangs but it is only in certain neighborhoods where gang activity is bad. Many people are moving into Boyle Hts for example; an area that once had considerable gang problems. Same thing for Highland Pk. Gangs generally go after other gangs and cause problems with graffiti and vandalism. It is rare to read of a non-gang member being intentionally shot by gang members but it happens when the idiots shoot wildly into a crowd. Gangs are trouble because they deal drugs and are involved in other crimes. So living in a heavily gang area is not recommended. The least expensive neighborhoods are often where poor people live and where poor people live there are gangs. Echo Pk and parts of Hollywood have some gangs also but not to the point that the gangs are a major problem.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks so much californio sur!!! Your such a help! Do you happen to know what's the best listing to find an apartment? I've looked on Craigslist but that's it. Do you know of anymore? Like maybe local papers that would have the neighborhoods you told me about?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:00 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,738,927 times
Here's a nice resource for you:

Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,155,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingOver! View Post
Thanks so much californio sur!!! Your such a help! Do you happen to know what's the best listing to find an apartment? I've looked on Craigslist but that's it. Do you know of anymore? Like maybe local papers that would have the neighborhoods you told me about?
westsiderentals.com

Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM

9,863 posts, read 12,571,386 times
Cities or neighborhoods? I know it can be kind of confusing because of how this place is laid out. Still that is the nature of this beautifull part of the world that we call Los Angeles. Gardena could be a city accept for the fact that it is a neighborhood of the city. The same can be said about so many other segments of the city. Someone once posted a map of the LA neighborhoods that may work well for this question. Kind of cool to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles