U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM

25,256 posts, read 14,910,924 times
Default Westside subway projected to reduce traffic by 1%

Quote:
“Remarks that transit relieves traffic congestion are common, but they are without a factual basis,” said Tom Rubin, a transportation consultant and former transit agency executive in Southern California. “The roads in Los Angeles are so far over capacity, it is difficult to get improvement from new transit projects.”
Westside subway won't relieve much traffic, according to MTA's draft environmental impact report | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

I think busways are the better solution for public transit. They can be built at a MUCH lower price and so much faster than subways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 13,333,260 times
I am thinking that the problem with subway systems is that you can't take your car with you. We love our cars around here and prefer to have them when we travel. Maybe what they need to build is an underground freeway system that we can speed from one end of the city to the other. with few points of exit. LOL

Old 09-03-2010, 01:01 PM

11,940 posts, read 13,023,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Westside subway won't relieve much traffic, according to MTA's draft environmental impact report | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

I think busways are the better solution for public transit. They can be built at a MUCH lower price and so much faster than subways.
Subways have a better effect on the neighborhoods around them and also aren't subject to the limitations of traffic. Buses just put more traffic on the street.

BTW that report is also assuming continuous population growth, something I wouldn't be so sure about.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
i'd give up on my dream of an extensive LA subway system if we were promised exlusive bus only lanes with express service all over the city. i don't see that happening though. if a train runs underground, people at street level don't even realize they are there. however, if someone driving down wilshire in stop and go traffic sees an empty bus lane, they will ****** and moan to their elected officials about 'wasted space'. however, in the long run, trains are more cost efficient as they carry more passengers, have lower operation costs (no fuel, less maintainence, and fewer operators per passenger), and have a longer shelf life. in the meantime i'll get around the city on my vespa, zipping through traffic and finding easy parking no matter where i go.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 13,333,260 times
Brism, I like your idea about the Vespa and if I were living in the city and not in Oxnard I would do the same or similar. Just wondering how the subways run without fuel? Are they attomic powered, LOL. The reason I bring it up is that if they are electric powered then someone still needs to be making electricity and for the most part unless it is Atomic, it is still made from something and in many cases that is some kind of fuel. LOL Just my 2 pennies worth. LOL

Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM

5,112 posts, read 11,788,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am thinking that the problem with subway systems is that you can't take your car with you. We love our cars around here and prefer to have them when we travel. Maybe what they need to build is an underground freeway system that we can speed from one end of the city to the other. with few points of exit. LOL
The problem with subway systems in LA is that they aren't being built where they should be. The busiest freeway in the US is the 405, but there is no rail, subway, or bus express lane along any part of it. The busiest rails in the area are the ones that go to the SE LAC cities and head in to major business centers in the LA area(Green and Blue). The westside isn't a big destination from the source nor the other way around. A better use of funds would be a 405 line or connecting the Blue and Green lines(and Silver) through the South Bay

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
The problem with subway systems in LA is that they aren't being built where they should be. The busiest freeway in the US is the 405, but there is no rail, subway, or bus express lane along any part of it. The busiest rails in the area are the ones that goes to the SE LAC cities and head in to LA. The westside isn't a big destination from the source nor the other way around.
It's a shame too.

Think of how much good a subway line that shadows the 405 from the Valley all the way to LAX would be.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
It's a shame too.

Think of how much good a subway line that shadows the 405 from the Valley all the way to LAX would be.
Funny thing is that stretch is not the busiest portion(405/605/22 interchange stretch of the 405 is busiest section of freeway in the US)

Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,876,396 times
The idea behind the subway is to give people an alternative to driving, not to make a high impact reduction on surface traffic. NYC has a great subway system, but the street traffic is still a nightmare.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
The idea behind the subway is to give people an alternative to driving, not to make a high impact reduction on surface traffic. NYC has a great subway system, but the street traffic is still a nightmare.
And that idea is cost prohibitive. The idea behind any major public transportation project should be to give viable commuting alternatives to the most people possible, and it doesn't do that. The costs are too great for idealism or cultural projects(like the East LA Gold Line extension that cost ungodly amounts for very little gain in ridership compared to what other projects would have added). New York City's subway infrastructure was built many years ago at a far lower cost, and without it, the already terrible traffic gets even worse(or people just leave).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles