U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,485,545 times

Advertisements

ZIP codes are supposed to handle roughly the same mail volume. If a company with a large volume of mail moves in, the USPS may adjust the boundaries especially if mail volume in an adjacent ZIP code goes down. Residents often complain about changes to their Congressperson, I don't know how often it is successful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
So I always wondered what makes a city a city (vs a community or development) and I think my sister (a substitute teacher) explained it best ... Per her it's a city if it has its own Post Office.

That being said I can say for a fact that West Hills (91307) is a city which split off from Canoga Park (91303,91304 post office in 91303) in 1985 when Castle Peak Estaes were being built (this allowed portions of 91307 to attend schools in Las Virgenes School district (Round Meadow Elementary, AEWright Middle Scool, and Calabasas) While it did take awhile for the post office to catch up it became its own city and a post office was built. Bell Canyon also is just a community within 91307 (private and guard gated).

Woodland Hills (91367/91364) is also a city with a post office in 91367. The border between the cities is dependent on wether u r on the north side of Ventura Blvd or South side (wrong information has the freeway as the border and has caused some business's like Vista Ford to show incorrectly as 91364 when they r 91367.

Calabasas (91302) is a city with 2 Post Offices (one having its own zip code of 91372) this being said Hidden Hills (91302) is just a VERY EXCLUSIVE guard gated community it's not a city.

Bad signage and information has recently appeared causing many to think that all of the San Fernando valley (starting at Valley Circle/Mulholland off ramp off the Ventura 101 freeway (border between Calabasas and Woodland Hills) to now become the city of Los Angeles. Wrong, So Wrong. It's not and u can't group the areas b/c of how different the weather (usually varying about 10-15 degrees hotter in the Valley). Los Angeles the city is located off of the Hollywood 101 not the Ventura 101. I can also tell u that even though every sign might show it now the Ventura 101 runs East/West not North/South. The San Diego 405, Hollywood 101/170, and the Golden State freeway 5 all intersect with the Ventura 101/134 (turning into the 210) meaning those freeways run North/South so the Ventura 101 cannot run east/west.

So u know a fakie when they think the valley is Los Angeles, the border between zips in Woodland Hills is the Ventura freeway opposed to the Blvd, or that Hidden Hills or Bell Canyon are the cities while Woodland Hills, Calabasas, West Hills are just the communities.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 AM

8,660 posts, read 4,791,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
ZIP codes are supposed to handle roughly the same mail volume. If a company with a large volume of mail moves in, the USPS may adjust the boundaries especially if mail volume in an adjacent ZIP code goes down. Residents often complain about changes to their Congressperson, I don't know how often it is successful.
It is primarily geographical with the road networks along with political divisions being determinative
Los Angeles County is so built up about the only thing getting an independent zip code based on volume would be something like a UCLA relocating. Carrier routes however are continually being adjusted to make each as close to eight hours of work possible. That my mean the volume of mail or the mode of delivery may determine the route assignments with a small volume of mail. I.E. walking all day with a small volume versus driving to central delivery points or road side boxes with a large volume of mail. After adjustments many customers complain, especially businesses and mail recieving agencies like the UPS store and its clones after having been near the beginning of one route suddenly finding itself near the end of the newly adjusted route.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:03 PM

9,655 posts, read 5,391,952 times
West Hills used to be park of Canoga park.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:21 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,896,641 times
It's funny how that works.
I used to live in 90803 which is very well known as Belmont Shore but if you look it up, it is Long Beach.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 08-04-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 PM

943 posts, read 1,171,848 times
The bottom line is that the place name associated with a zip code, used by the Post Office, is not necessarily the same as the place name best known by the residents. They are usually the same, but not always. The Post Office has its own logic for assigning names to zip codes, which differs from the way cities are normally given their names.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinK105 View Post
So I always wondered what makes a city a city (vs a community or development) and I think my sister (a substitute teacher) explained it best ... Per her it's a city if it has its own Post Office.

That being said I can say for a fact that West Hills (91307) is a city which split off from Canoga Park (91303,91304 post office in 91303) in 1985 when Castle Peak Estaes were being built (this allowed portions of 91307 to attend schools in Las Virgenes School district (Round Meadow Elementary, AEWright Middle Scool, and Calabasas) While it did take awhile for the post office to catch up it became its own city and a post office was built. Bell Canyon also is just a community within 91307 (private and guard gated).

Woodland Hills (91367/91364) is also a city with a post office in 91367. The border between the cities is dependent on wether u r on the north side of Ventura Blvd or South side (wrong information has the freeway as the border and has caused some business's like Vista Ford to show incorrectly as 91364 when they r 91367.

Calabasas (91302) is a city with 2 Post Offices (one having its own zip code of 91372) this being said Hidden Hills (91302) is just a VERY EXCLUSIVE guard gated community it's not a city.

Bad signage and information has recently appeared causing many to think that all of the San Fernando valley (starting at Valley Circle/Mulholland off ramp off the Ventura 101 freeway (border between Calabasas and Woodland Hills) to now become the city of Los Angeles. Wrong, So Wrong. It's not and u can't group the areas b/c of how different the weather (usually varying about 10-15 degrees hotter in the Valley). Los Angeles the city is located off of the Hollywood 101 not the Ventura 101. I can also tell u that even though every sign might show it now the Ventura 101 runs East/West not North/South. The San Diego 405, Hollywood 101/170, and the Golden State freeway 5 all intersect with the Ventura 101/134 (turning into the 210) meaning those freeways run North/South so the Ventura 101 cannot run east/west.

So u know a fakie when they think the valley is Los Angeles, the border between zips in Woodland Hills is the Ventura freeway opposed to the Blvd, or that Hidden Hills or Bell Canyon are the cities while Woodland Hills, Calabasas, West Hills are just the communities.
SO much misinformation in here, it's scary.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,892,785 times
I find it really fascinating that the parts of the city of LA in the SFV use their neighborhood as an address instead of Los Angeles. parts of the city of LA that are on the basin side of the hills just use Los Angeles. I don't think we have the option to write our addresses otherwise. I live in west LA area but I work in Hollywood. For both of these addresses, I use Los Angeles. I'd like to use "Hollywood, CA," but no one else does so I'd feel weird. The port areas of Los Angeles also use their neighborhood name as though it were a city like Harbor City, Wilmington, and San Pedro.

I don't know what the northeast areas write, but I'd assume it's Los Angeles and not Eagle Rock, CA. right?

I think only LA and NYC do this (Brooklyn, Bronx, etc...). I know Chicago, Houston, Dallas don't do this. If you're in the big city, even on the edge you still write the big city name.

Edit: Dang it, I just realized this is an old thread I already pretty much wrote the same post on

Old 08-06-2015, 12:00 AM

8,660 posts, read 4,791,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I find it really fascinating that the parts of the city of LA in the SFV use their neighborhood as an address instead of Los Angeles. parts of the city of LA that are on the basin side of the hills just use Los Angeles. I don't think we have the option to write our addresses otherwise. I live in west LA area but I work in Hollywood. For both of these addresses, I use Los Angeles. I'd like to use "Hollywood, CA," but no one else does so I'd feel weird. The port areas of Los Angeles also use their neighborhood name as though it were a city like Harbor City, Wilmington, and San Pedro.

I don't know what the northeast areas write, but I'd assume it's Los Angeles and not Eagle Rock, CA. right?

I think only LA and NYC do this (Brooklyn, Bronx, etc...). I know Chicago, Houston, Dallas don't do this. If you're in the big city, even on the edge you still write the big city name.

Edit: Dang it, I just realized this is an old thread I already pretty much wrote the same post on
The name is a back up should you have a wrong zip code. Any zip code starting 900 should be Los Angeles so it is routed to the correct unit. Other community names tells the postal worker to send a piece to 90(1-4) in the Los Angeles District to someone with that area's scheme knowledge to route the piece to the correct zip code and then carrier route.

San Pedro being a 907 is in the Santa Ana District Despite being part of the City of Los Angeles

Old 08-06-2015, 06:56 AM

6,561 posts, read 16,202,603 times
Yes, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
SO much misinformation in here, it's scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles