Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times

Advertisements

I am NOT an LA basher but a conversation I had recently with an immigrant shopkeeper from Hong Kong got me thinking.

The ISSUE is CLEANLINESS (or lack of it) and DOGS:

-The dog population in downtown Los Angeles has grown expontentially in the last few years.

-Unfortunately, irresponsible dog owners do NOT clean up after their dogs and the public sidewalks become a public toilet.

-I saw the owner of a small retail shop in downtown washing down the sidewalk outside his store on 7th steet in downtown. The gentleman is an immigrant from Hong Kong who has been downtown for about 8 years.

-He told me in the last few years the increase in DOGS has made things worse. He has to clean up after them nearly every day!!

-He said in his native Hong Kong the fines for such offenses are so great that people think twice. I assume enforcement is probably stricter too. But the STREETS are CLEAN.

-I know this might look like a pathetic thread....a guy complaining about DOG you know what. Lots of other more "serious" issues to worry about but it is such a basic quality of life issue: CLEANLINESS.....we really could and should demand more of ourselves and fellow citizens.

CLEAN STREETS and Demoracy should NOT be an oxymoron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
My question is are these dogs owned by people or are they just wandering around? The owners are responsible are they not for their dogs? If the dogs are not owned and just wandering around maybe the city should put them down. Seems like a pest control issue to me.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I think Downtown LA needs an area council to deal with residential problems. West Hollywood used to be just as bad with lax dog owners & out-of-control club patrons but they've cracked down in recent yrs at the behest of local businesses & also single-family home owners. Unfortunately problems like these are often demographic in nature and you really won't see a huge change until Downtown area residents start aging into their 30's & 40's and become more responsible & sensitive to nuisances.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My question is are these dogs owned by people or are they just wandering around? The owners are responsible are they not for their dogs? If the dogs are not owned and just wandering around maybe the city should put them down. Seems like a pest control issue to me.

Definitely owned by PEOPLE who walk them around the block for a walk but REFUSE to clean after FIDO has done his little deed.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
People who don't clean up after their dogs should be publically caned.

That'll learn em.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 AM

79 posts, read 211,439 times
Fontucky
Publicly caned, I would say publicly Stoned

Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam222 View Post
Fontucky
Publicly caned, I would say publicly Stoned

I say let's do BOTH!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
We can get stoned while they get caned.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM

Now we are talking....

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
People who don't clean up after their dogs should be publically caned.

That'll learn em.
That would probably happen in Singapore, where caning is used as a penalty for certain offenses. They have all sorts of fines for certain types of behavior, such as littering, jaywalking, not flushing a public toilet after use, and driving over the causeway to Malaysia on a nearly empty fuel tank [to take advantage of lower gasoline prices in Malaysia]. There's an old joke about Singapore being a "fine" country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles