U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM

11,976 posts, read 11,460,372 times
You guys are in the vicinity of the $578M Kennedy High school that opened recently. Just indicative of the spending that requires those tax bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM

749 posts, read 910,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Within five years of Proposition 13's passage, nearly half the states passed similar measures.

Washington State voters passed their own version of Prop 13 called I 747 several years ago... one judge threw it out and taxes sky-rocketed for many.

Not the case in New York or Massachusetts.....the two expensive housing market examples I used.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM

13,156 posts, read 23,504,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Not the case in New York or Massachusetts.....the two expensive housing market examples I used.
I have no knowledge of Massachusetts.

I do know my Godmother lives in Fort Myers Florida and almost all her neighbors are ex New Yorkers with a few from New Jersey... some came to escape the weather... most, especially the men left New York for Florida fleeing New York taxes...

The Wall Street Journal had a story a few months ago listing some very high profile wealthy New Yorkers that now claim Florida residence solely to escape oppressive taxes.

My field of expertise is primarily West Coast... CA, NV and WA. Nevada has oodles of ex Californians that left because of taxes... my good friends father (I was best man at my friends wedding) moved to Nevada when he learned he had terminal cancer... he moved only to avoid CA taxes. He died 3 years after leaving CA

Several of my high school buds retired from Law Enforcement and moved to Nevada... they recieve between 100 and 180k pensions from Oakland and moved to NV the year they retired...

Nevada and Washington have no State Income Tax and Oregon has no State Sales Tax... California has high Income Tax, High Sales Tax and Property Tax of 1.5% on my home.

Interesting discussion

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 AM

8,275 posts, read 9,429,490 times
Quote:
Well it's official... just received my new property tax bill and anyone that says California property is taxed at 1% doesn't have a clue.

My property tax is more than 1.5% based on the Assessor's inflated opinion of the value of my 1725 square feet home built in the 50's... with Formica counters and linoleum floors

Fair market value is at least 100k less and I am again appealing... last year I got it lowered 90k and this year it was raised 83k

My real property tax is a whopping 1.88% based on the Fair Market Value.

In addition... there are several ballot measures where my city is asking property owners to come up with another nearly $800 per residential parcel and, if passed, would push me over 2%

Maybe, my neighbors that bought when I did and walked away are really the smart ones?

We are being asked to pay hundreds of dollars more for everything from Police, Fire, Schools and even a $24 dollar a year per line telephone tax and higher county vehicle license fees...

All of this in a city that spent millions building a new, never to be used police substation only to tear it down 4 years later and give Police Pensions to 50 year old retired Police Officers with lifetime medical ranging from 100k to 183k per year and schools that spend nearly 15k per student per year.

Property Owners are tired and many have finally said enough is enough...

End of Rant... see you at the polls.
It seems oakland is full of dirty, filthy low life crooks stealing BIG time from the property owners. Ca is really in the toilet & if brown is the next govenor its gonna get alot worse. The pensions are crazy & 15k per student is about twice the nation avg. Oakland looks out for its cops, firemen/firewomen & students but they sure arent looking out for you. Cops that kill innocent animals are punk ass ******* & i bet if you were alone with them without their gun they would coward down big time. UGH!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
It seems oakland is full of dirty, filthy low life crooks stealing BIG time from the property owners. Ca is really in the toilet & if brown is the next govenor its gonna get alot worse. The pensions are crazy & 15k per student is about twice the nation avg. Oakland looks out for its cops, firemen/firewomen & students but they sure arent looking out for you. Cops that kill innocent animals are punk ass ******* & i bet if you were alone with them without their gun they would coward down big time. UGH!!!
I'm not a Republican or Democrat... never have been.

I do know Mayor Browns was unable to implement the turn around promised and he has been extremely vocal against Prop 13...

There have been several high profile officer shootings of animals in the city this year... the results of the Internal Reviews not mandate special training for law enforcement on how to deal with pets and wildlife.

A stray deer was shot many times because officers didn't know what to do with it... a pet dog that by ALL REPORTS was a gentle loving family pet was killed by officers answering a home burglar alarm.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-05-0...ority-officers

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...bay&id=7701549

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-19-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 AM

19 posts, read 34,288 times
I found another tax item which is excessive in CA. I always understood that when you trade a vehicle, you only pay sales tax on the difference in price between the trade and the new vehicle's Selling price. But in CA it seems the tax is on the selling price with or without the trade. So 9.75% tax and no break on the trade. This tax rule alone would be bringing in millions to CA. Still broke.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashguy77 View Post
I found another tax item which is excessive in CA. I always understood that when you trade a vehicle, you only pay sales tax on the difference in price between the trade and the new vehicle's Selling price. But in CA it seems the tax is on the selling price with or without the trade. So 9.75% tax and no break on the trade. This tax rule alone would be bringing in millions to CA. Still broke.
Very true and the tax maybe as much as 10.25% depending on where you live and not where you purchase.

Most states only charge tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the new vehicle purchase price... after all, the tax has already been paid on the trade-in.

If a vehicle changes hands several times... it's a windfall for the State...

Someone once told me the Government can never go broke because every time a dollar changes hands 3 times... the goverment gets a dollar.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 AM

18,324 posts, read 14,509,288 times
Quote:
Someone once told me the Government can never go broke because every time a dollar changes hands 3 times... the goverment gets a dollar.
Government can never go broke because it hocks the futures of our children, grandchildren and beyond by issuing bonds on which it has to pay debt service as well as eventually make good on.

I guess being $20 billion (probably more like 40) in the hole isn't considered being broke by the dreamers in the Capitol. It's just a minor annoyance!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 AM

749 posts, read 910,673 times
Quote:

My field of expertise is primarily West Coast... CA, NV and WA. Nevada has oodles of ex Californians that left because of taxes... my good friends father (I was best man at my friends wedding) moved to Nevada when he learned he had terminal cancer... he moved only to avoid CA taxes. He died 3 years after leaving CA

Several of my high school buds retired from Law Enforcement and moved to Nevada... they recieve between 100 and 180k pensions from Oakland and moved to NV the year they retired...

Nevada and Washington have no State Income Tax and Oregon has no State Sales Tax... California has high Income Tax, High Sales Tax and Property Tax of 1.5% on my home.

Interesting discussion
I am sorry your friend's father passed away from cancer. But I don't feel sorry for anyone getting a pension of 100k to 180k, esp. on the public dime. If they can't live on that maybe they should watch Suzie Orman.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:00 AM

2,915 posts, read 6,336,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
New York City is MORE expensive than LA....Boston is not cheap by any means. The world has not come to an end in either of those places with seniors being booted out on the street and they have no Prop. 13.

I am not saying that is good or bad but it is a fact.
Massachusetts has Proposition 2 1/2. It was actually Proposition 2 but during the campaign it became known as Prop 2 1/2 because it limited property taxes to 2.5%. However, I don't know if it follows any of the other parameters of Prop 13. Therefore, it's likely no other state has a measure identical to Prop 13, but I'm sure some or even many states have some limitations on property taxes and how much a person can be taxed on what would otherwise be a gain on paper only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles