U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times

Advertisements

I have several hundred record albums (vinyl): classic rock, progressive rock, jazz, new wave, punk. Anyone have any recommendations on where I can take these to sell? Preferably a one stop shop rather than sitting all day selling them at a swap meet or itemizing them for craigslist or ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 PM

12,006 posts, read 13,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have several hundred record albums (vinyl): classic rock, progressive rock, jazz, new wave, punk. Anyone have any recommendations on where I can take these to sell? Preferably a one stop shop rather than sitting all day selling them at a swap meet or itemizing them for craigslist or ebay.
Amoeba?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Amoeba?
Good. I just called them and they are open and buy records on Sundays too so that might be good to beat traffic.

Amoeba Music > Sell Used Records and LPs, Sell Used DVDs, Sell Used CDs, - Sell Us Your Music Collection - Highest Prices Paid!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times
That's a great idea. I'm moving in about 4 months. I have some classic records (e.g. Beatles white album). I have no facility to take these with me. I gotta sell them or toss them.

I'll take 'em to Amoeba. Any are left I'll toss 'em.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM

497 posts, read 617,423 times
Check Record Collector News for many places which buy vinyl, including stores in OC and SD:

Record Collector News--record stores

Rockaway Records in Silver Lake is also listed and is a major vinyl buyer/seller.

I have no connection with the magazine but they are a one stop resource for SoCal (and beyond) record collectors.

If you give your kids a cut, maybe they will sell them on ebay?

Lovehound, if you have any records left over, can you donate them to a thrift shop, where they'll do some good besides sitting in a landfill (and they might give you a receipt to lower your taxes)?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times
@ smiles @ Drunk on KA

Yeah, of course, I won't toss these albums. Any I can't sell of course I'll give them to some charity or other organization. I give most of my "not worth selling" stuff to Goodwill.

I may have given a mistaken impression that I'd toss them into the trash.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:31 AM

144 posts, read 282,566 times
CD Trader in Tarzana also buys vinyl...have sold to them, Amoeba and Second Spin - but just CDs, DVDs, cassette and VHS tapes - never vinyl so I'm not sure which is best in this case.

Amoeba has many more buyers (the guys and girls who evaluate the items and make their offer to you) - there is a lineup and the sellers go to the next open buyer spot at the counter when it opens up. CD Trader has only had one buyer evaluating items every time I've been there - the wait can be long. Second Spin usually had two or three buyers so it was faster. All of them will page you or find you when they are finished evaluating your items and let you know what they will offer for them. Amoeba and Second Spin offer cash or a greater amount in store credit (I think 20% but can't remember, haven't done it in six months or so) - CD Trader gave cash only (if I remember correctly).

Last edited by Freebird; 09-10-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
CD Trader in Tarzana also buys vinyl...have sold to them, Amoeba and Second Spin - but just CDs, DVDs, cassette and VHS tapes - never vinyl so I'm not sure which is best in this case.

Amoeba has many more buyers (the guys and girls who evaluate the items and make their offer to you) - there is a lineup and the sellers go to the next open buyer spot at the counter when it opens up. CD Trader has only had one buyer evaluating items every time I've been there - the wait can be long. Second Spin usually had two or three buyers so it was faster. All of them will page you or find you when they are finished evaluating your items and let you know what they will offer for them. Amoeba and Second Spin offer cash or a greater amount in store credit (I think 20% but can't remember, haven't done it in six months or so) - CD Trader gave cash only (if I remember correctly).

Good info, thank you.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,231,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
(e.g. Beatles white album)
I have two Meet the Beatles on vinyl

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

10,499 posts, read 13,978,310 times
My dad still has all his vinyl records spanning from the 1960's to the 1980's. He has played each record a total of 4 times. Back when he bought them he copied them to real to real tape. My parents had an old system that was more like a peice of furniture. Had a turn table, am/fm tuner and a real to real tape unit, with 2 big speakers on either end. When cassette was the big deal he had them copied to cassette tape. Then it was to CD's. A few years back he put them on his MP3 player. He bought a turn table that will record to the computer and downloaded from there to his mp3 player. All those records still look new with the original covers. Pretty cool if you ask me. LOL Not bad for an old man in his 70's. Got to hand it to my dad keeping up with all the newest stuff. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles