U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Ummm... not EVERYONE in Southern California went to USC or UCLA and I'm sure most Southern Californians could care less what either team is doing. It would be nice to have a team for the millions of people in Greater L.A. who would like a team to support and show pride in a team that isn't affiliated with a college.

If you went to Cal, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Harvard, Texas A&M, University of Michigan, Cal Tech, University of Illinois Urbana, Montana State Helena, University of Portland, University of Redlands, blah blah blah and the thousands of other schools Southern Californians are alumni from, you probably would rather NOT support UCLA or USC and have a hometown team that you can go to games for.

So you're are in favor of the Chargers moving up there? Even though they come from your cities little brother tp the south? It will be a slap in the face to us in San Diego if this happens.

I agree with Danny, the Jaguars are the best fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,226,013 times
A lot of people from LA attend Charger games. I've taken the Amtrak train to my relatives in Rancho Penasquistos on weekends and it is full of football fans. Angelenos support the Chargers and Raiders and even the Rams but it is unfair that the second largest city in the U.S. doesn't have a pro team. Even the governor has been trying to get a stadium built but Arnold wants Anaheim as the site near the train.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,479,264 times
So just because L.A. doesn't have a team it's ok to take another cities, specifically a city that is so close to L.A.? This is the first time I have to disagree with you. Why can't L.A. just start up their own football team without stealing anyone elses?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,226,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
So just because L.A. doesn't have a team it's ok to take another cities, specifically a city that is so close to L.A.? This is the first time I have to disagree with you. Why can't L.A. just start up their own football team without stealing anyone elses?
It's not LA's decision. The NFL and individual teams decide. When the Raiders left Oakland for Los Angeles is was merely to make more money; then they moved back to Oakland for a new stadium. It's business and has nothing to do with one city taking from another.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:10 AM

454 posts, read 751,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
The city of L.A. isn't really involved. The one proposed stadium is in City of Industry and isn't even in L.A. city limits and the stadium would be financed by the private sector. The NFL and owner of the Chargers would be making a choice to leave San Diego. Sorry, but the Chargers exist for one reason. MONEY MONEY MONEY and guess what... Money. They will go where they think they can get the most. If it isn't in San Diego... well bye bye SD. L.A. lost teams for the same reason... poor stadiums, attendance, and MONEY.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 AM

454 posts, read 751,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
USC is a team that people who will never attend school still like to wear their colors. Maybe you haven't noticed all the fans that they have. Have you been to the Colloseum during a USC game? The parking lot is full of people having the LA' areas biggest tail gate party. The fans rival many NFL teams fan base, unlike the schools you have mentioned. Heck my kids friends all wear USC shirts even with the current NCAA problems going on. Our hometown team is the USC Trojans. Now the UCLA contingent will be hitting hard soon, but I hope you get the point here. And sure you can choose to not want to check out either USC or UCLA games but still they have an amazing following and the worlds closest rivalry geographically.
Yes, I did not deny that USC has an enormous following. They do and it is very impressive! Its a great thing for L.A. BUT, my point is we should also be able to handle the prestige of an NFL team. Who says somebody can't be a fan of the hometown NFL team and a local college team?

And while the Trojans and Bruins have their fan base, it still misses out on a lot of people that could support an NFL team. I guarantee you over 75% of college grads in the L.A. area went to a university other than USC or UCLA. Take a graduate of Stanford University living in L.A. that loves football and likes to go watch games. Unless Stanford is playing USC or UCLA, they probably aren't going to go watch the Trojans or Bruins that were rival schools. The fan base for the Trojans and Bruins is still overwhelmingly alumni of those universities and families of those alumni. You also have people that support one of those teams but didn't go to college, mainly due to the lack of an NFL team. And while there are many people that do support the Trojans or Bruins and have no personal relation to those schools, there are probably twice as many people that don't care about either because they did not attend those universities or have relations to them.

L.A. deserves an NFL team that represents the whole city. Every single person, Trojan, Bruin, Anteater, Pepperdine Wave, community college grad, janitor, movie producer, Walmart employee, billionaire, blah blah blah can stand behind an NFL team that represents the city of L.A. College football is great and I think will thrive alongside an NFL team in L.A., but we can and should be able to handle both the college and NFL level.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM

21 posts, read 16,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Yes, we are too laid back to be that crazy. But if we ever made it to the Super Bowl, I'm sure it would get crazier then usual.
Laid back my arse. Walk in silver and black in front of yellow and blue and witness the reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles