Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Really? You think? Actually, my uncle Michael Bogan was killed on Sept. 6, 1934 in Camden, NJ, and details of his death are still locked from public view by the police in Camden. My uncle was killed because he was a witness in the killing of Officer William Feitz. The only question is whether it was the dirty cops who killed him or a member of the Mais-Leganza gang. Witnesses for this case were ending up dead pretty quick within days of the officer's killing. My family have always had integrity and honesty, even while struggling. By the way, my father was born in 1920, and if you think life was good for the lower classes in Camden during those years you are seriously wrong.
Your dad's close in age to my grandparents, and they or their parents definitely would not have called the cops if Capone, Nitti, or Ricca were up to anything, nor would anyone in their neighborhood have done so. Even if nothing happened to that person, their neighbors would shun them. That's how things were.

And I know very well things were bad for the lower classes in American big cities during those years, Chicago just like Camden and Philly. However people looked out for each other, and that's gone now. Obviously there weren't many jobs during the '30s but before and after that the factories were there. When they closed for good is when the Chicago South Side,North Philly, and Camden (amongst other areas) took massive dives.

BTW, googled William Feitz - the story of Robert Mais and Walter Legenza was quite interesting. I'm surprised there's only been one movie made about them, you'd think there would've been many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Your dad's close in age to my grandparents, and they or their parents definitely would not have called the cops if Capone, Nitti, or Ricca were up to anything, nor would anyone in their neighborhood have done so. Even if nothing happened to that person, their neighbors would shun them. That's how things were.

And I know very well things were bad for the lower classes in American big cities during those years, Chicago just like Camden and Philly. However people looked out for each other, and that's gone now. Obviously there weren't many jobs during the '30s but before and after that the factories were there. When they closed for good is when the Chicago South Side,North Philly, and Camden (amongst other areas) took massive dives.

BTW, googled William Feitz - the story of Robert Mais and Walter Legenza was quite interesting. I'm surprised there's only been one movie made about them, you'd think there would've been many.
My Irish uncles were not above reproach, but even they had a code of ethics when it came to their own neighborhood, and they never stole a thing. But like you've so rightly said, people looked after each other back then. To some extent this still happens in smaller communities. I believe it could happen again in the larger communities if steps were taken to get the ball rolling.

Mais & Legenza were cleared of this crime, It was an associate who ended up getting the electric chair for the killing. I still try to get my uncle's police record, year after year, but keep hitting a brick wall of silence.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,933,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Where in the IE? Lake Smellsomemore?
I was thinking maybe Bro-mont...but that would work, too

Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Anyone who labels the "Black Beverly Hills" (Baldwin Hills) as "ghetto" is either a stereotyping ass or has never been to L.A.

They do the same with Inglewood.
im black and i use to always thing inglewood was the ghetto do to the gangs, but now i know it isnt and wanna visit.

i hear ingelwood has many caribbean black folks to

Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
Quote:
My Irish uncles were not above reproach, but even they had a code of ethics when it came to their own neighborhood, and they never stole a thing. But like you've so rightly said, people looked after each other back then. To some extent this still happens in smaller communities. I believe it could happen again in the larger communities if steps were taken to get the ball rolling.
It does say something that in the old working class neighborhoods of the east and midwest - for example Burnside in Chicago where my grandparents were from, or Camden - it took 70-80 years for them to truly become the type of ghettos we know today whereas in the working class neighborhoods of the Valley like Van Nuys and Panorama City it only took a little over 40 years. Maybe because the old east coast and midwestern neighborhoods were planned around people and had well built structures while the Valley was planned around the car and had shoddily built structures? Not the only factor - the deindustrialization of America was the biggest factor - but it's probably a factor.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I admit I use race heavily when evaluating an area. I kid you not, look at the data here. If the population is predominantly black or hispanic (ie. 80%+) the crime will be through the roof, schools will be terrible etc. Meanwhile if you take an area with 80%+ white or asian community it will have best schools, low crime etc.

Its pretty much a fact here. Black and Hispanic community = ghetto while white and asian community = pleasantville

Statistics don't lie.

You should look up the, "whitetopia" communities, places with 90%+ white population.

Here is a popular one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeur_d'Alene,_Idaho#Demographics
and its because of people like you that places like baldwin hills or cambira heights, queens, ny will always be nice high class black areas out of a bunch that are ignored all cause people think its cool to stereotype.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Whether its today or 50 years ago, people make the choice to allow their neighborhoods to become blighted, or they decide to have some pride of place, get off their arses and do something about it. Being poor has nothing to do with living in filth.
you were owned from the beginning as the person wrote above when your grand parents were living in camden their was plenty of jobs and factory work.

a lot of people tend to ignore the fact that most ghettos in cities in america that are broke now were filled with jobs and mostly white and happy to live in.

so i dont blame race here i blame the city itself. the jobs should of stayed or they need to come back.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Mais & Legenza were cleared of this crime, It was an associate who ended up getting the electric chair for the killing. I still try to get my uncle's police record, year after year, but keep hitting a brick wall of silence.
wow your irish and your talking about pride of areas? lol

i have a irish friend who tells me all the time that irish folk back then were the blacks today and took no type of pride in their areas and commited plenty of crimes just like blacks and a lot were involved in gangs.

so this is funny to me lol. imma tell my irish friend this tommarow.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,275,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I admit I use race heavily when evaluating an area. I kid you not, look at the data here. If the population is predominantly black or hispanic (ie. 80%+) the crime will be thro the roof, schools will be terrible etc. Meanwhile if you take an area with 80%+ white or asian community it will have best schools, low crime etc.

Its pretty much a fact here. Black and Hispanic community = ghetto while white and asian community = pleasantville

Statistics don't lie.

You should look up the, "whitetopia" communities, places with 90%+ white population.

Here is a popular one: Coeur d'Alene, Idaho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, then, what about impoverished, overwhemingly white communities in Appalachia? And the upscale, largely black communities in the DC suburbs?

It's more an issue of poverty/socioeconomic levels, rather than race. Unfortunately, the political power dynamics in this country suggest that many communities of color which are impoverished lack the political clout to ensure that they get good access to public services and amenities that other, more affluent (and largely white) communities take for granted.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,998,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwatch View Post
I can even say some folks label predominantly African American neighborhoods like Baldwin Hills as ghetto when it is clearly not one.
Most white people are afraid of walking in brown and black neighborhoods that are middle class so they just simply label it a ghetto due to that fear. If I am wrong about this please correct me. Thanks
Can't speak for up north. But I know down here, if an area is predominant ANY race, it's usually going to be a ghetto UNLESS it's a place like Coronado where you have a bunch of snooty folks.

Santee - predominant white trash, ghetto, bros running around

El Cajon - predominant African American, ghetto, all sorts of unruly folks walking up and down (Same with Skyline and Logan Heights)

Escondido close to the 15 - predominant Hispanic, SIGNIFICANTLY run down, day laborers aplenty

Then there are other areas with Asian gangs that I know of - like some parts of Sacramento, especially near Tahoe Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwatch View Post
The reason I reveal this is so the reader will not think I am some "cholo" who lives with 10 other people in a 1 bedroom apartment.
I found this funny too - though most cholos I know don't live with a bunch of people, they usually live with their girlfriend that they abuse every day. Just sayin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles