U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM

186 posts, read 619,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
Wolf gang puck's food tastes like cardboard. Sure he's famous, but his food still sucks.

People don't come down town because they don't know what is down town. Development be damned. The fish market, the farmer's market. You need to hear what the yelpers have to say about downtown before you just build over everything.

free concerts down at that plaza (sorry bad with names). There is already so much going on then to bring a big eye sore to the area.
I am sorry to say, but I am a downtown lover. We are one and the same. I have been on yelp since it first started in the bAy area. I love la.curbed, metroblogging, SSC, SSP, etc. We are really on the same side here. I used to not like the idea of LA live, then I have warmed up to it.

I have been to every place you have and possibly more. ACtually, since you are a downtown loyalist I should probably give you a list of places I like to go. I know of all kinds of great whole in the walls that need more support to survive. I have been to lost souls cafe, the litte italian mom and pop shop in the middle of nowhere, etc. I have been to royal claytons.

Development is GREAT for downtown. The free concerts are called GRAND PERFORMANCES and it is in the cal plaza. I hope you arent doing lip service and have actually gone. There was an AwESOME show last week. AWESOME.

There is also MOCA afterdark that rocks! I love the local theatre and East West Players. They make great ethnic productions. The Grand Ave. festival rocks too. I cant wait for the linda lea theatre to finish and play legit asian movies and film festivals. I love the arts walk. I like watching special events at the Colburn school. I like going to art openings. The programming at the music center is world class. I LOVE the music center. IT is a damn shame more Angelenos dont take advantage of this GREAT place. THey have dancing, film festivals, orchestra, opera, just really first rate culture. I love it. Also, you gotta love last remaining seats and little tokyo festivals. Both are great. I even want to go watch the derby dolls (who play in little tokyo). THere is good news too my friend. Just like the Orpheum, 4 more art deco LA theatres are being beautifully restored creating the most unique live theatre district anywhere. With the new broadway theatres, the music centre, linda lea, cal plaza, you MAY not need places like LA live, but I think LA cant have too many live events. If LA is to be a true city, I think it can handle all of the development. In 10 years downtown will have REAL neighborhoods. The rich finance people near grand ave project, the arts crew in the arts district, the tourists in LA live, etc. etc. Downtown will appeal to everyone and have distinct neighorhoods.

I also like watching spoken word at the lost souls cafe. I like going to sousa cafe in chinatown for good live ethnic music and luectures. I like the Zocalo public forum series at the LA central library. Heck I even like highland park and leimert park in south central. There is culture all over LA.

The problem is that you and I are very rare. More people need to experience these areas, ESPECIALLY downtown. Our downtown is big enough for businesses, tourists and urbanites alike. That was my main point and praise for LA live. THey are promoting pedestrianism, tangential development, downtown economic expansion as well as cleaning it up for tourits and ex-urb residents. IT is true that downtown has central market, the fish market, countless small grocers, and a mitsuwa, but it could also use a Ralphs and Whole Foods.

If you have been downtown then you know about Evo, Elleven, and Luma. Once you go East of Luma, downtown looks gritty and raw again. This is where downtown will continue to have an edge. I respect that you already think downtown is developed enough, but LA is 4 million proper, 10 million county, and 13-15 million metro. LA deserves a HUGE downtown. There are 4 schools in and around downtown, 3 out of the 4 arts related. No developement is going to remove Sci-Arc or Colburn. LA live wont hurt these.

LA has SO much more to grow via infill. There are so many unused dead zones. I dont think development will hurt it.

LA live is for tourists, businesses, and clean cut Angelenos, but that isnt a bad thing. LA live fuses with its surroundings. Because of LA live you have South group. South group is a great developer. They wanted to expand the side walks and add outdoor cafes but the crappy LA city government said no. LA governement wanted Luma to remove the sidewalks to widen the street for more cars. South group refused and after months and months of fighting, they now have their widened sidewalk and an outdoor cafe. Developers like this are backing LA live. My whole point is that LA live isnt a devil like Walmart. It isnt the best as I said, but I think it is better than you think.

Anyhow, maybe southpark wont be your hood. Maybe its the arts district, historic core, old bank district, grand ave area, or the gritty toy district/fashion district/skid row area.

I too am an urbanite and wish I was living in Tokyo (on the edgy and slightly gritty side), but I can still appreciate LA live.

As for Wolfgang puck, well lets just say I think he is overrated, but cut is the best steakhouse ever. It almost feels like an ultra modern but minimalist style sushi lounge. Cut is a steakhouse for the 21st century. I have to give Wolfgang mad props.

Dont be so hard on LA live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
On the egyptian theatre, it doesn't have anything special or uniquie to excuse the price range they set. The only occationaly have something good.
They are overpriced as with everything in LA (who wants thinks 500k for a house in Compton is reasonable?), but they have very good programming. THe American Cinematique group is first rate, and I am not sure why you dislike them. IF you dont like it, "last remaining seats" and the new beverly center are great too. the great thing about LA is the diversity. You can have it your way.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
side note. keep your post short because i'm really not in the mood to read long winded explanations. hence the bloated statement. no offence.
Well, it has to be long. You can choose to skip what you please. PEople on this forum are tainted by their biases (as am I) I always qualify all of my statements with references and proof. Even when I prove most of my statements, people ignore them and still ASSUME most of my post for me anyhow.

Also, what is wrong with a long post? I love reading and think long posts are fun.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but all i'm hearing is bloated advertisement. The L.A. auto show has been around for years. alot of these things have already been hear for years. You just seem like you are advertising and not really getting your message across.

sorry but from what you say, city walk and LA live compare. it's the same thing we heard when they were "expanding" citywalk.
On a shorter note, I made is easy to read. I broke my bloated advertisement up into a thesis statement. I have 4 paragraphs with 4 independent supporting arguments just like any other formal essay would be written and I had a conclusion as well. It is a little hacked, but I think if you read a), b) c) d) and my conclusion again you will find that they all support my thesis, which is that LA live is different.

I make bloated arguments because you ASSUMED I was a suburbanite and know nothing of downtown when in fact I know LA like the back of my hand. From Boyle heights downto the harbor area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles