Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:04 PM

186 posts, read 835,337 times

Advertisements

LA live is coming online!! Very exciting. There are tons of other great projects, but I really like this one.

Here is the paraphrased description of LA live via NOKIA Theatre l.a. live

STAPLES CENTER
L.A. LIVE is anchored by STAPLES Center, the world's most successful arena.
In its relatively short history, STAPLES Center has also become the premier venue for musical performances, family entertainment, televised award shows and many major events in the region.

NOKIA Theatre l.a. live
The 235,00 square foot, 7,100-seat venue will host 125 music, family, dance and comedy acts, award shows, televised productions and short running Broadway theater events annually.

CLUB NOKIA
Club NOKIA will host 150 concerts annually - concerts that are currently booked in non-AEG controlled venues in Los Angeles through AEG's live music division, Goldenvoice.

NOKIA PLAZA
the 40,000 square foot open air plaza, capable of hosting special events, community gatherings, cultural festivals and live performances will be located in the very heart of L.A. LIVE. The plaza space has been designed with flexibility as well as state-of-the-art "plug-and-play" technology to accommodate broadcast events, large celebrations, festivals, outdoor concerts and other live programming. The ability to close 11th street/Chick Hearn Court during non-peak hours is another major amenity serving L.A. LIVE as it connects STAPLES Center and provides a pedestrian friendly campus as well as excellent logistics for red carpet arrivals for guests attending events taking place at any of the venues.

STUDIOS
A 110,000 square foot showcase studio will be home to SportsCenter and a number of live shows and original programming broadcast on ESPN and its affiliate networks including ABC Sports. An additional broadcasting center is planned to accommodate national and local entertainment coverage, sports, news and music broadcasts.

RESTAURANTS
L.A. LIVE will be open for lunch and dinner, offering outdoor dining to take advantage of Los Angeles' pleasing climate.

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar will occupy approximately 7,250 square feet on the bustling corner of Olympic and Figueroa Boulevards. Just south is The Farm of Beverly Hills, a 7,000 square foot American restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and an array of fresh bakery items.

Los Angeles' legendary Conga Room will relocate from its mid-Wilshire location and occupy approximately 13,000 square feet of second floor space. Since it's opening in 1998, the Conga Room has become the premiere intimate performance venue for top name Latin, World & alternative music. Featuring live entertainment Thursday through Saturday nights, the nightclub will also host special events, a television broadcast with live, weekday Latin music programming and daily radio broadcasts. The new Conga Room is owned by a group of high profile celebrities and entertainment executives including Jimmy Smits, Jennifer Lopez and Paul Rodriguez.

Los Angeles' nightlife guru, Sam Nazarian of SBE Entertainment (Hyde Lounge, Prey, Privilege and Area), brings his sushi and robata bar concept, Katsuya to L.A. LIVE. Designed by Phillipe Starke, the ultra-hip 7,600 square foot, ground floor space will be utilized as the main dining room and a cocktail lounge will share the area.

Long Beach-based Yard House offers a wide menu of American food, excellent service and over 100 different beers from around the world and will feature a large outdoor dining terrace.

New York-based Rosa Mexicano brings a fine dining concept of traditional and nouvelle Mexican food within a contemporary David Rockwell design. Known for their pomegranate margaritas, guacamole freshly prepared tableside, and indoor water wall,

Los Angeles' own culinary icon, Wolfgang Puck will bring an exciting new California cuisine concept of fresh seafood, salads and steaks concept to L.A. LIVE in a 7,500 square foot location. The space, centrally located on NOKIA Plaza, will also be used for private parties and special events.

Several quick service restaurants are planned for L.A. LIVE as well.

Bowling
Hollywood's own Lucky Strike will occupy approximately 24,000 feet on the second floor offering a café and bar, plus billiard tables, dart and private function rooms in addition to 18 state-of-the-art bowling lanes.

Cinemas and Premiere House
The West coast flagship for Regal Cinemas will be built at L.A. LIVE including a new 140,000 square feet of state-of-the-art cinema with 14 screens and 3,800 seats including an 800-seat house suitable for the industry's most glamorous movie premieres. With close proximity to the convention center and the headquarters hotel meeting and ballroom spaces, it is also expected that the theaters will be utilized during the day for corporate presentations and break out space.

Corporate Office Space
L.A. LIVE will become the 25,000 square foot executive headquarters for AEG
Herbalife will relocate its executive offices to 60,000 square feet at L.A. LIVE's Nokia Plaza.
Holme Roberts & Owen, an international law firm with offices in London, Munich, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Colorado and Utah, will lease 25,000 square feet of office space within L.A. LIVE

Museum
The Recording Academy (NARAS) and AEG are together developing The GRAMMY Museum, the permanent home for the GRAMMY Awards. Slated to open in October 2008 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary year of the GRAMMY Awards, the one-of-a-kind museum experience will be the cornerstone of the exciting L.A. LIVE development and is expected to draw over 300,000 visitors annually.

The GRAMMY Museum will introduce artists of all musical genres, unveil the creative process, teach the art and science of recorded music, examine its rich history, demonstrate its evolution, and celebrate the pinnacle of the music industry's success - the annual GRAMMY awards telecast. Guests will experience music from a never before seen insider perspective that only The GRAMMY Museum, with the support of The Recording Academy, can deliver.

Located on four levels at Olympic Boulevard and Figueroa Street, the 33,400 square foot museum will bring guests through a unique, interactive journey and educational opportunity unlike any other. A rooftop event terrace for over 450 guests will host private functions and fundraising galas and will enjoy spectacular views of downtown.

The GRAMMY Museum will introduce artists of all musical genres, unveil the creative process, teach the art and science of recorded music, examine its rich history, demonstrate its evolution, and celebrate the pinnacle of the music industry's success, The GRAMMY Award telecast. Guests will experience music from a never-before-seen insider perspective that only The GRAMMY Museum, with the support of The Recording Academy, can deliver.

HOTELS
Designed by Gensler, the 1,001 guest room, 1,150,000 square foot Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotel soaring over 54 stories in the sky will serve as the focal point of the entire district and a venerable beacon for the South Park neighborhood. Operated as two separate entities under The Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott brands, the hotel will serve both the convention, group meeting and tourist market on its competitively priced main floors, as well as offering five-star accommodations on its upper levels for headline performers, visiting sports teams and executives doing business at L.A. LIVE and downtown. Guests of the hotel will enjoy spectacular views of the Westside, South Bay, ocean and downtown skyline. The hotel will also include substantial meeting, ballroom and amenity space, planned in excess of 84,000 square feet including the largest ballroom in Southern California with capability of serving 3,000 seated guests. The tower will also include 224 luxury Ritz Residence condominiums on its uppermost floors, enjoying optimal views and amenities such as valet, concierge, maid and food services provided by The Ritz-Carlton.

Up to 400 additional guest rooms are planed as part of a second "boutique" hotel in a later phase of development.

The second phase will open in October of 2008 with the ESPN offices and studio, the ESPN zone, the restaurants, the Grammy museum, Club NOKIA, The Conga Room, Lucky Strike, the broadcast studio and the corporate office space.

The third phase will complete the project in late 2009 with the opening of the JW Marriott, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel and Residences, ballrooms and Regal Cinemas.

PARKING
Approximately 3,500 new parking spaces will be added to the existing parking supply servicing STAPLES Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center. The district-wide parking management strategy will involve shared parking among many demand generators and will build upon the successfully operating parking program at STAPLES Center to distribute peak parking demand throughout L.A. LIVE while providing ample close-in parking to serve tenant and customer needs. Employee parking will be located at remote facilities within a few block walk or shuttle ride.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
L.A LIVE is well served by public transportation systems including the MTA Blue Line Station at Pico and Flower Streets, the MTA Red Line Subway at 7th and Figueroa, the LA Dot Downtown DASH shuttle service and numerous MTA regional and local bus routes. L.A. LIVE is also centrally located within the regional freeway system with seven major interchanges on the nearby 110 and 10 freeways and on a grid of major arterial streets with excellent inbound traffic capacity during the high traffic volume peak periods. The district will feature wide sidewalks, rich landscaping and attractive hardscape features aimed at connecting various venues while also providing linkages to adjacent residential and commercial areas and public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 PM

119 posts, read 881,147 times
Sounds great So long real estate market holds up finally Downtown will be on the map again (On a major scale not seen since the early 1960's, not to say the LA Convention Center and Staples Center are not big deals they are but I remember to Hollywood for work by bus and Blue and Red line trains downtown is dead by 6 PM and I was in my late 20's early 30's and I was scared.) And other Retailers such as Lowes, Vons, Target, bloomingdale's, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Albertson's, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's et al will come in and make Downtown LA a residential neighborhood and tourist destination.(I know that its not River North / Streeterville / Lincoln Park area in Chicago nor Midtown Manhattan in New York but its a start)

One thing bothers me only 3,500 additional parking spaces; they need at least 5,000 spaces.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM

179 posts, read 921,495 times
Sounds like another city walk or egyptian theatre.... how boring.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
Well, city walk is lame like the entire city of ORlando florida or the river walk in San Antonio. Orlando is like number 4 in the nation for tourist destinatoins, sadly enough. To be honest,tourists are usually sheep, and the more sheepish you make a place the better. Citywalk, the grove, and orlando pack the place with bodies. Downtown needs more bodies to make it more "appealing". There are legit places in downtown like Edison, blue velvet, peets, the arts district, royal claytons, gallery row, cal plaza, MOCA, music center, and tons of very cool planned developments, but lets face it, most Angelenos and tourist dont go downtown cause its empty or gritty or both. LA live will help change that, and in addition help spure tangential development. So even if it were lame, it would be hugely successful. Combine that with the grand ave project, and you have got a pretty good deal. Anyhow, in my next post, I will explain to you why I disagree with your assessment.

PS:
What is wrong with the Egyptian? YOu dont like revival theatres playing art house and classic cinema? Do you mean Mann's Chinese?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Citywalk and LA live dont quite compare

Quote:
Now, I would like to refute your comment.

A) LA live already has the conventoin center and 3 facilites are going to be made to enhance the efficiency of it (like banquet rooms and presentation technology in the performance venues). Businesses may not WANT to meet in LA but they have to since LA has $$$$$ and people. So, the convention center is sure to be quite attractive once it gets supplemental facilites and an attractive and safe area to do business in. In additon three major corporations are moving into LA live making it a work district. They still have space for 3-4 more, and it hasnt even been built yet. 7 corporations could eventually end up there. THat combined with a huge convention center and additional facilites make it a very lively work district. So business is covered. Now if only LA would become more business friendly!!!
b) There will be some culture. Angelenos love outdoor venues like Cal Plaza, Hollywood Bowl, GReek theatre, etc. THe Nokia plaza will probably be used as yet another centralized outdoor venue, so that is cool. In addition there seems to be a good Grammy Museum. At first I thought it was gimmicky, but it seems pretty damn cool and interesting. A lot better than the dumb museum in times square or Fishermans wharf that tourists seem to flock too. This added element of culture is nice. It isnt great culture, but something is better than nothing.
c) It truly is Live. They are not kidding. THe Staples is a legit performance venue,you cant deny that. ALso, the two performance halls they are building are also legit. If there is one thing Angelenos love, its peformance events. They will likely sign VHI, BET, ESPY's, Grammy's, etc. That is alot of high profile red carpet events that generate media attention and buzz. Three huge venues in one place cant hurt! Concerts, shows, broadway, its endless. In addition, ESPN has already agreed to move sportscenter to LA and other shows to LA live. In addition LA live is trying to bring even more LIVE broadcast facilites that are currently in Atlanta and NYC and if LA live is successfull, I am sure they will succeed. Also, the Conga room used to be super legit. It used to be spicy and hot hot hot. That was one of the better places in Socal outside of El Floridita for true spicy latin salsa. Now it seems they sold out a bit and are trying to turn it into a cultural latin live music mecca. I am not sure I like this, but it cant be all that bad. They will probably have some really cool latin themed events, which is sorely needed in this town. Citywalk couldnt come CLOSE to that type of high profile LIVE entertainment. Citywalk focuses on low end chain restaurants and retail, not large profile museums and live entertainment. They are not surrounding by high end residences or businesses either. Citywalk is a shopping mall with extra entertainment. LA live is true LIVE entertainment with residences, business, plazas, and some food. Big difference. Is it times square? No. But this is LA and award shows and movie premiers come here no matter how crappy LA gets. This makes it viable.

c) It is diverse. LA live has multiple parcels divided up properly. The off streets are urban, pedestrian, and dense. LA live attempts to breathe with the other streets like figgy, olympic, etc. IT helps spur OPEN development with GROUND FLOOR retail. Just look at South Group, LA central, Concerto, Merdux properties, and the met lofts that have all been developed around LA live. The off developments already brought a nice Ralphs (with sushi bar, dry cleaners, etc.) and are soon to bring a Whole Foods (if the economy holds). Who knows what kinds of legit shopping, dining, cultural or entertainment venues will spring up 2 or 3 blocks out of LA live if the economy holds. I dont believe Citywalk has done this.
d) THe restaurants are actually decent. At first I thought the restaurants were going to be bad, but now they are okay. They have been TRYING super hard to bring in legit players. Flemings isnt great, but hey, it could have been a nasty Outback. Wolfgang puck is trying to bring in a good restaurant and if you have been to cut or spago you would know this resto is going to be legit. They tried to bring in Petros (from my locale of Manhattan Beach), but they are sill negotiating. Petros will satisfy any foodie. YOu would NEVER and I repeat NEVER see Petros in Citywalk, it is far too legit. ALso, Katsuya is a good place. It isnt the best Japanese in LA, but easily better than most Japanese restaurants in San Diego or Santa Barbara. LA live might not be able to lure really good restaurants, but they are trying the best they can. That is great news. Other developments would put bland national chains and no local places, but LA live seems to be trying to lure top local businesses. That makes me respect them more.

Citywalk has a legit theatre and has billiards and a lucky strike lanes type of place, but I dont think LA live is hurt by these. LA live needs a great theatre, bowling alley, and normal recreational things to keep tourists happy during the day and I think having these is actually fine.

All in all, I am actually quite happy with the development. They are widening sidewalks, putting in street facing retail, and trying to embrace downtown. I will go to LA live often. I wouldnt mind eating at a cut or Petros quality restaurant, seeing an awesome concert, attending a conventoin like the LA auto show or E-4-all (video game expo), or going to an outdoor concert. I MAY even bowl or see a movie, but that wont be the destination for me. THe best thing about LA live is that they actually care about helping downtown and merging with their surroundings. They have put private party and corporate event space throughout the complex so that businesses will still be lured to the development and not fear being overcrowded by tourists.

I dont know, I just like their philosophy. It isnt the coolest urban place or perfect, but it seems pretty respectable for what it is. They seemed to try and cover all the bases.

Sorry but I dont think Citywalk and LA live compare.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 AM

Sorry, but all i'm hearing is bloated advertisement. The L.A. auto show has been around for years. alot of these things have already been hear for years. You just seem like you are advertising and not really getting your message across.

sorry but from what you say, city walk and LA live compare. it's the same thing we heard when they were "expanding" citywalk.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
Well, city walk is lame like the entire city of ORlando florida or the river walk in San Antonio. Orlando is like number 4 in the nation for tourist destinatoins, sadly enough. To be honest,tourists are usually sheep, and the more sheepish you make a place the better. Citywalk, the grove, and orlando pack the place with bodies. Downtown needs more bodies to make it more "appealing". There are legit places in downtown like Edison, blue velvet, peets, the arts district, royal claytons, gallery row, cal plaza, MOCA, music center, and tons of very cool planned developments, but lets face it, most Angelenos and tourist dont go downtown cause its empty or gritty or both. LA live will help change that, and in addition help spure tangential development. So even if it were lame, it would be hugely successful. Combine that with the grand ave project, and you have got a pretty good deal. Anyhow, in my next post, I will explain to you why I disagree with your assessment.

PS:
What is wrong with the Egyptian? YOu dont like revival theatres playing art house and classic cinema? Do you mean Mann's Chinese?

On the egyptian theatre, it doesn't have anything special or uniquie to excuse the price range they set. The only occationaly have something good.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 AM

side note. keep your post short because i'm really not in the mood to read long winded explanations. hence the bloated statement. no offence.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:28 AM

Wolf gang puck's food tastes like cardboard. Sure he's famous, but his food still sucks.

People don't come down town because they don't know what is down town. Development be damned. The fish market, the farmer's market. You need to hear what the yelpers have to say about downtown before you just build over everything.

free concerts down at that plaza (sorry bad with names). There is already so much going on then to bring a big eye sore to the area.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but all i'm hearing is bloated advertisement. The L.A. auto show has been around for years. alot of these things have already been hear for years. You just seem like you are advertising and not really getting your message across.

sorry but from what you say, city walk and LA live compare. it's the same thing we heard when they were "expanding" citywalk.
Sorry to hear that. I guess convincing you LA live is cool and you convincing me that it is like citywalk is like me trying to turn you into a republican from a democrat. I am satisified with the points that I make and we will have to agree to disagree.

I am an urbanite myself and go to DTLA (grit and all), Tokyo, NYC, etc., so I sorta understand your POV. I have seen the most urban environments in the entire world, and my idea of great living is a 400 sq. ft studio in Tokyo, so I know LA live is not completely "urban". Anyhow, lates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles