Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times

Advertisements

I used a mobile shredding company to come by and shred a TON of documents a few years back. They came in a large van type vehicle, and shredded everything on the spot. This was a major job, about 10k pages of old business records. It wasn't cheap.

For 1500 pages .... just do it yourself over the span of a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Of course, you might consider getting creative about their disposal by making a great home crafted project that would even be worthy of
videotaping and uploading to youtube, perhaps starting a fad for others who share a similar situation. I would say that I've already seen some pretty
sensible suggestions here, but now you need to combine all of these viable alternatives into a worthwhile project, after all who likes the prospect of
destroying anything that took them so many years to collect.

You might start by doing exactly what userdavey suggested, soaking the whole lot in water, use an old spackle pail or one of those Rubbermaid,
tub-like containers, leaving them to soak and to soften-up for a few days. next, you'll need to use your blender to pulp the documents into usable paper
masche, putting each paste-like, blender load into another polyplastic container which will have a mixture of cornstarch and white glue. If you can still find
a bunch of the old style wire coat hangers, you can now start forming the skeletal frame of whatever piece of sculptured artwork might look best when it is
placed somewhere there around your den or perhaps, in the living room. The possibilities for styles or themes are endless, for instance you might decide to
make the likeness of a standing figure, maybe president Bush or Obama or, take on something a bit easier like a scale model of the White House, but as I
mentioned before, those possibilities are endless! Think it over and get back to us, would you? Have a great day, Lovehound!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Propane gas grill + lighter fluid + paper = ruined grill

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM

106 posts, read 390,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Propane gas grill + lighter fluid + paper = ruined grill
I was obviously talking about a cheap charcoal grill.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perek View Post
I was obviously talking about a cheap charcoal grill.
I obviously own a propane grill.

My house has a fire place. It'll get the job done and the only thing I'll be out will be the labor to clean it again. It's the cost of my lesson in not keeping sensitive paperwork too long in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles