Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM

85 posts, read 164,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wromanus View Post
....May be you mean a point of E. Slauson Ave not at 3300?
Does anybody know something about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Did this thread die? I finally spotted the photo album but I can't get to it.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Talking My Zabriskie Point research never die

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
My Zabriskie Point research never die
Just let me know!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,015 times
i want to locate where this landmark was. http://wdthepowerofchoice.com/img/ar...tw-photo02.jpg[IMG]

Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anetness View Post
i want to locate where this landmark was. [IMG]
Looks like Stupas at Borobudur in Indonesia
Borobudur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2012, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Bethleham Steel was located in Veron, CA. Off of Slauson. My dad worked there for 35 years as a crane operator. I remember going there and sitting across the street. You could feel the heat from the molten steel. My father made a good living for a family of 8 children. I remember that he only missed one week of work due to a back injury. We worked rotating shift during the 35 years. He had good friends that also worked there for many years.

Last edited by EAC1943; 07-02-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Hey UB50,
Many times in this thread I thought and you let us think to your fantastic album....
Did you manage at last to get it?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
too bad you haven't been able to find the church. i would have thought that that would have been a great way to figure it all out. have you checked round the watts area? has anyone suggested that?
and bluspark, you got good taste! : P
I wouldn't expect the church to be there. There used to be several large, historic (by L.A. architectural standards), and traditionally styled wooden churches just outside Downtown. Having been built in the late 19th Century, they were interesting holdovers of a time when L.A. was so different from today, not to mention less than a 20th as big population-wise, that it is hard for us today to wrap our minds around it. Unfortunately those churches were all destroyed by fire in a series of separate events over a period of several years. I don't remember when, exactly, but this happened over several years at some point after 1980. I don't recall any malicious intent being blamed for the fires, they just happened the way fires do in old wooden buildings

Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I wouldn't expect the church to be there. There used to be several large, historic (by L.A. architectural standards), and traditionally styled wooden churches just outside Downtown. Having been built in the late 19th Century, they were interesting holdovers of a time when L.A. was so different from today, not to mention less than a 20th as big population-wise, that it is hard for us today to wrap our minds around it. Unfortunately those churches were all destroyed by fire in a series of separate events over a period of several years. I don't remember when, exactly, but this happened over several years at some point after 1980. I don't recall any malicious intent being blamed for the fires, they just happened the way fires do in old wooden buildings
May be some of them were burnt by fire.
We did find out here that OUR church and all that area was interested by the enlarging of USC.

I'm really thinking to open a new speific thread about the expanding of USC and the changing of the areas around in end 60's - beginning of 70's.
Would be nice to have in one thread witnesses, maps and pictures before that.
(sorry for my English)

Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Many of the people in this thread will be interested in the epic Noirish L.A. thread over at SkyscraperPage.com, a web community that focuses more typically on architecture, construction/engineering, and other related subjects. Currently it's over 900 pages long and full of marvelous photographs most of which I had never seen until reading the thread.

I give you fair warning: if you're at the office when you read this, and you need to get actual things done today, DO NOT click on the link. It will devour your day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles