Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDA View Post
If you are willing to commute one hour the Vally is an option, but I know nothing about the Valley. It's a little cheaper and I don't think they are in LAUSD. I could be wrong. Pasadena is nice and I hear that L.A. people are buying addresses to send their kids to school there. I'm not familiar with Pasadena either but I know it has lots and lots of pretty areas.
Most of the San Fernando Valley, including almost all of the Los Angeles portions and the City of San Fernando, is in LAUSD. The only part of Los Angeles NOT in LAUSD is a small section of West Hills, which is in Las Virgenes USD.

Burbank is not in LAUSD, and that could be an option for people who do not like large school districts or cannot get a home zoned to good schools in LAUSD (I.E. a home zoned to Palisades HS or El Camino Real HS) or BHUSD. I do not know the quality of BUSD schools.

University HS in LAUSD is, from my knowledge, mixed. I do not live in Los Angeles, but I know this from the internet.

When you look at homes in LAUSD, check where they are zoned with this handy tool: School Finder

And when you figure out the zoned schools, check GreatSchools.net

In addition, LAUSD has magnet programs. The Los Angeles Times has a column called "Ask a Magnet Yenta" dedicated to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 05:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

When you look at homes in LAUSD, check where they are zoned with this handy tool: School Finder
I tried unsuccessfully to find a reverse tool of that above; one that would find the boundaries of a particular school (e.g. Canoga Park High School). I was trying to find the El Camino Real High School boundary with Canoga Park High School for the West Hills area.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I tried unsuccessfully to find a reverse tool of that above; one that would find the boundaries of a particular school (e.g. Canoga Park High School). I was trying to find the El Camino Real High School boundary with Canoga Park High School for the West Hills area.
Ah, here's a map: http://ecr.lausd.k12.ca.us/images/ec...ary_hi-res.pdf - It shows the ECR zoning map.

I do not know where to find other maps.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,432 times
If you will work in beverly hills and have up to 4k for housing, simply rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment in Beverly Hills, West Los Angeles or the west end of west hollywood, for less than 4k and begin looking for a home or condo over the next year. Take your time, find good schools etc. You may save on housing by moving to the valley, but may end up paying more for private school tuition, transportation expenses, and lost time commuting. Get your foot in the door with a resonable condo in a good area where you wont have to flip for a private school. Save up, then in 5 or so years upgrade to a home.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:06 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times
Summer is the time to rent in Los Angeles. Right now there are plenty of nice rentals in your price range. Look in the Hollywood Hills as well, I've seen a few. My friends in LAUSD districts have all successfully gotten their children into magnet schools. Pasadena is a great option but a little far on the morning commute IMHO. BH has loads of rentals in your price range right now. My advice is to keep your commute as short as possible, all other factors considered. WEHO has some wonderful neighborhoods as well.

I wouldn't advise buying anything without knowing where you want to be. Contrary to what's often spewed here, if you have decent credit, you don't need a bunch of cash to get in the door. It's totally a buyer's market.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:17 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicago View Post
Hi,

I'm considering moving from Chicago to LA. I understand the tradeoffs - house/condo/apartment/commute...

My particulars:
- wife, 1 baby, 1 on the way
- looking for 2 to 3 bedroom house or condo
- safe neighborhood
- work in beverly hills
- willing to commute up to 1 hour

Generous local oracles, what advice have ye?

Thanks in advance.
In this order due to closeness:

Beverly Hills
Westwood
West Hollywood
West LA
Venice
Santa Monica

I heard people live in Century City (which is a few blocks away from Beverly Hills), but I honestly don't know how true that is. I've always thought of CC as a couple of blocks of office buildings.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:46 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Virtually all of the SFV is LAUSD.

I hope this guy's monthly housing budget was after 401(k) contributions, 2 X $5K Roth IRA (2008) contributions, private school tuition (when his kids are old enough), college savings contributions, medical insurance (if not covered at work), disability insurance, and auto insurance.
Child care if his wife works.

Moving to LA doubled my auto insurance.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 AM

636 posts, read 2,644,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
In this order due to closeness:

Beverly Hills
Westwood
West Hollywood
West LA
Venice
Santa Monica

I heard people live in Century City (which is a few blocks away from Beverly Hills), but I honestly don't know how true that is. I've always thought of CC as a couple of blocks of office buildings.
Century City has a community of expensive condos.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
I hope you can help! I am trying to find a map showing the zone areas for Hale Middle School in Woodland Hills... any ideas where to find one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles