U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you make enough to qualify for a home loan in L.A.?
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- YES 85 29.31%
Do you personally earn over $110,000.00 per annum- NO 205 70.69%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 PM

70 posts, read 206,988 times
how old are you people who are so worried about gangs? what is there to be afraid of? i think you guys just bought into the media hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,855 times
Talking I Agree w/ FASTFILM!!!!

i totally agre w/ u FASTFILM, hilarious ;-)

Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 20,154 times
Default Scary!

Wow, some of you ladies and gents are scaring the crap out of me! lol

I was in LA for a week and saw many bad areas but also saw many great things, too. Yes, you guys were having a heat wave but after that...the weather was perfect, the traffic was really no different from what I'm used to in DC and neither are the high rents on apartments and houses. People seemed laid-back, most of the people I ran into spoke English, and I thought almost every decent neighborhood I drove through had a cool mix of people.

I'm going there to break into the entertainment industry because that's the place you sort of gotta go... but now ya'll have got me thinking twice...and NYC is just so damn expensive for what you get, which, housing wise, is VERY little. On the other hand, you don't have to drive everywhere and there is even more culture in the Big Apple.

One thing I don't like is it seems like the weather never changes. I enjoy sunshine but the desert leaves me feeling parched all the time...plus I like the occasional rainstorm and even snow...also, my budget for rent is around $1800-$2000 a month but that does not seem to get you a lot, either, and the apartments in the sections I like (Fairfax, Miracle Mile, and adjacent to Beverly Hills) were not impressive. Being able to see into your neighbor's windows and vice versa seem to be the norm! Talk about overcrowding...plus I'll miss high rise living.

As for crime, I thought this extremely disturbing!

Right on Sunset!

Wow!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:00 PM

1,425 posts, read 2,866,637 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...s-vs-cali.html

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,073,435 times
I hate the weather changing. It changes too much in Los Angeles still if you ask me. My ideal weather would be NO RAIN, EVER, 83 degrees every day, maybe 85, and every night would be 65 to 67. That's perfection. Fortunately, we get a lot of perfection. And even our "crappy" weather, which is like 65 high, 45 low, is still WAY better than most places, since we still have sunshine. Why would you WANT the weather to change?! There's one great season -- summer. I want that as long as possible, and endless summer is ideal.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM

26,362 posts, read 51,952,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Why would you WANT the weather to change?! There's one great season -- summer. I want that as long as possible, and endless summer is ideal.
Ask any guy what he'd rather have for a weekend: Three sevens, or one ten. (Heck, I'll take four sixes.)

To many, Variety is more important than quality.

Last edited by Charles; 10-19-2008 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 06:37 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,757,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ask any guy what he'd rather have for a weekend: Three sevens, or one ten. (Heck, I'll take four sixes.)

Variety is more important than quality.
Huntsville weather is rubbing off on you?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,073,435 times
Variety is not good with weather, at all. I grew up in Portland, we had plenty of variety, snow, rain, cold, hot, clouds, etc. It's really annoying. I just want it to be NICE all of the time.

And yeah, I want one 10. Not three 7s.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
You Forgot Silver Lake X3

Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM

267 posts, read 539,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
Friends? You can make new friends. Family? That is what email and telephones are for.

This is what is keeping people in Southern CA:

1. Friends
2. Family
3. Jobs
4. Weather
5. Tortas, gorditas, pastor, barbocoa, ceviche, flautas and carne asada
6. "Bilingual Required" Employment Ads (Maybe Not)
7. Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios
8. Soak City, Wild Rivers and Raging Waters
9. Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Kings and Mighty Ducks
10. Beaches
11. The chance of becoming a famous movie star
12. No $ for an airplane to fly out of here
13. No $ for gas to drive out of here
14. Can't or won't sell their house
15. Afraid of harsh climate elsewhere

These and many more reasons are why people will stay in Southern for the rest of their lives and never, ever leave!

quote=jlrobe;30111]Really? I have yet to see a place like CA. Chicago, miami, and toronto are the only places I saw that could compare to living in CA reasonably enough. Chicago is WAY too cold, miami is hurricane alley, and I dont have a canadian citizenship.

Are there any other places?

Arizona - too hot
Seattle - too wet
Texas - too texas (except san antonio)
denver - ???

Anyhow, I would have to find a much better place to live and work if I were to move. I went to school for 8 years (undergrad, grad, and more grad) and if I moved to another city, I would have to start a whole different career and go back to school, which I suppose isnt too bad, and I would have to move thousands of miles away from my family and friends.
[/quote]

Miami is Hurricane Alley? There's been no more major hurricanes to hit Miami than major earthquakes to hit LA. I lived there for most of my life and went through one bad hurricane in 1992. BTW...I'd must rather face hurricanes than earthquakes, at least you know when they are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles