Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,926,551 times

Advertisements

My background is from the Mediterranean and every time I'm in LA and get asked my ethnicity, people always guess Armenian as if they are the only people in that region of the world living in SoCal. I have never ever been asked if I'm Armenian outside of LA. Never in the IE or OC and especially outside of SoCal. Most people think I'm Italian but not in LA.

Gotta be honest and say I don't go to LA much since I'm not a fan of the city. Are Armenians a large minority throughout the city or just Glendale, Burbank, and N. Hollywood? I know these are the main cities they reside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 AM

8,429 posts, read 10,839,583 times
I think there are quite a few living in East Hollywood also.
Bob.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:47 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
In 2000 (latest stats available), 152,910 Armenians lived in LA County, 1.6% of the population. 138,015 speak Armenian at home. 53,394 were born in Armenia.

Burbank (2000):
8,312 Armenians (8.3%)
7,927 speak Armenian at home
2,803 born in Armenia

Glendale (2000)
53,840 Armenians (27.6%)
54,176 speak Armenian at home
17,361 born in Armenia

Los Angeles (2000):
64,997 Armenians (1.8%)
57,924 speak Armenian at home
29,068 born in Armenia

Pasadena, Montebello, Altadena and La Crescenta also have substantial populations. Don't forget about Little Armenia in East Hollywood.

In 2000, LA county had 39.7% of the nations self-identified Armenians, with Glendale having 14.0% of the nation's total. So if you hang out around there, it might be a fairly common question if you somehow match the looks, or your last name ends in -ian or -san, or -an.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,350,944 times
Well, I grew up with a bunch of Armenians in the area I grew up in (North Hollywood), and my local community college was around 30% Armenian (Los Angeles Valley College).

To tack onto David's numbers, here's what the estimates are for 2009 (http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en)

Los Angeles County: 201,944
Los Angeles: 83,249 (of which, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of them are in the Eastern part of the San Fernando Valley and Hollywood)

Glendale and Burbank are full of Armenian businesses, with a growing Armenian presence in La Crescenta and Pasadena.

However, I've been noticing more Armenians moving to the West San Fernando Valley. There's an Armenian Elementary School near me in North Hills. One of my best friends, who used to live in Glendale, moved to Northridge. So take it for what it is.

Here's a good way to know; if you see a Zankou Chicken, there's probably Armenians nearby

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,926,551 times
Quote:
Here's a good way to know; if you see a Zankou Chicken, there's probably Armenians nearby
Zankou isn't even Armenian!!!! Its Lebanese!

I'm actually surprised how little they are in the LA population. I don't venture into the known cities much but I go to Eagle Rock sometimes and Pasadena.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:11 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,350,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Zankou isn't even Armenian!!!! Its Lebanese!

I'm actually surprised how little they are in the LA population. I don't venture into the known cities much but I go to Eagle Rock sometimes and Pasadena.
I thought the founder was Lebanese Armenian? Either way...really AWESOME food. Every single Armenian I know raves about it, and the ones in the San Fernando Valley always have plenty of Armenians in them.

Remember, LA is a really large city (with borders that make no coherent sense) that cover everything from Chatsworth to San Pedro. Armenians seem to be clustered in an area in the East SFV + Glendale and Hollywood. In those areas, they seem to make a majority of the population. Everywhere else, not so much.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM

938 posts, read 4,080,368 times
Anecdotally, Glendale, Burbank, Tujunga, Montebello, East Hollywood, and parts of Los Feliz all seem to have plenty of Armenians. They are beginning to move into La Canada and La Crescenta, much to the chagrin of the current residents. BTW, Zankou's (which is delicious) was founded by Armenian immigrants from Beirut; many Armenians moved to Lebanon (among other places) following the Armenian Genocide around WW1.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,253,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
My background is from the Mediterranean and every time I'm in LA and get asked my ethnicity, people always guess Armenian as if they are the only people in that region of the world living in SoCal. I have never ever been asked if I'm Armenian outside of LA. Never in the IE or OC and especially outside of SoCal. Most people think I'm Italian but not in LA.

Gotta be honest and say I don't go to LA much since I'm not a fan of the city. Are Armenians a large minority throughout the city or just Glendale, Burbank, and N. Hollywood? I know these are the main cities they reside.
Armenians might be the largest group of mediterraneans in LA. So if you look mediterranean then that might explain. Why, do you have a problem with Armenians?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,462,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Anecdotally, Glendale, Burbank, Tujunga, Montebello, East Hollywood, and parts of Los Feliz all seem to have plenty of Armenians. They are beginning to move into La Canada and La Crescenta, much to the chagrin of the current residents. BTW, Zankou's (which is delicious) was founded by Armenian immigrants from Beirut; many Armenians moved to Lebanon (among other places) following the Armenian Genocide around WW1.
And the Valley as a whole.

BTW there have been Armenians in Beirut since the time of the Crusades ; however, as most of us know, after the Armenian Genocide, Armenians scattered throughout the world, and California has the largest Armenian population in the US.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Armenians might be the largest group of mediterraneans in LA.
Bust out a map and look to see just exactly where Armenia is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles