U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 PM

167 posts, read 477,085 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Need suggestions on a place to move to in the next few months. Currently live in Brentwood and love it but my company will be relocating from the LAX area down to Torrance (near Western and 190th St). My lease goes month to month when it is up so I am in no real hurry. I do not want to live in Torrance...wayyyy to suburban.

Anyway, looking for a diverse area (the thing I did not like about Brentwood - lack of diversity), safe for a 30 something female to walk around /take the dog out, etc with cute little cafes/restaurants, etc.

I am thinking now my only option that fits the above for a decent commute would be Culver City but maybe I am missing some other place since I am relatively new to the area?

Love living a few miles from the beach and mountains so that will be hard to give up.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,396,479 times
if torrance is way too suburban, i'm not sure how brentwood worked out for you. anyways if you want diversity, you shouldn't live in the southbay beach cities, not much diversity there. i would look at san pedro or long beach.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,311,107 times
You could get away with santa monica, that isnt a terrible commute.

I don't have much experience with stuff south of El Segundo, but as said above, LB or San Pedro may work.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,445,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you want diversity, you shouldn't live in the southbay beach cities, not much diversity there.
Phooey on that - all kinds of people live in the beach cities.

Manhattan Beach might suit OP just fine.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM

7,541 posts, read 5,140,598 times
Inglewood, El Segundo, Del Amo area of Torrance, Hawthorne, Long Beach or else Downtown LA.

These aren't "suburban" areas and are a mix of businesses, industrial and homes/apartments.

Along Artesia in Redondo Beach is also not very suburban.

Gardena, area, not too suburban, lots of businesses, but you wont get stuck without anything to do.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 18,281 times
Default Where to live in torrance

I'm looking into apt for rent and Sepulveda blvd keeps coming up with nice looking places, I am wondering if this is a bad part of torrance? We have a 4-year old and want it to be safe and somewhere where he can play, not on a major highway. As you can see, I'm totally new to the area.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 21,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjls View Post
I'm looking into apt for rent and Sepulveda blvd keeps coming up with nice looking places, I am wondering if this is a bad part of torrance? We have a 4-year old and want it to be safe and somewhere where he can play, not on a major highway. As you can see, I'm totally new to the area.
Hi, kcjls:

What's the address? You should be fine as long as it's west of Western Ave. Anything east of Western is not really considered Torrance.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,024,007 times
Beach cities are so much fun. Lots to do, lots of cool people. I think the OP would like Hermosa best, but people in all three cities intermingle so pick a place you can afford (whether it's in Manhattan, Hermosa, or Redondo).

Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,024,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
anyways if you want diversity, you shouldn't live in the southbay beach cities, not much diversity there.
????? There are all kinds of people at the beach (except maybe not a lot of urban fans--beach people tend to be more outdoorsy). All religions, all races are well represented in the south bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or