Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I've been to the Reagan Library and I highly recommend it!

As for Maxine Waters ... I'd rather slit my wrists with a plastic butter knife and slowly bleed to death over several days time than vote for Maxine Waters!
Ah, come on! I'd much rather vote for Waters than bleed to death. My watershed point would be more like choosing between voting for Maxine Waters or suffering a full day of explosive diarrhea. I think I'd go for the diarrhea as long as I had a pretty good supply of witch hazel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You left out one.

7. She is gross.

(How many beers would you have to drink to.....?)
There hasn't been enough beer brewed since the beginning of time to convince me to ... you know ...

Old 10-17-2010, 05:47 AM

74 posts, read 195,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Was anything I posted inaccurate? You can defend Republicans but any party that includes people like Bill O'Reilly, George Bush, Sarah Palin, Tea Party racists, Fox News fanatics, anti-gay bigots, "creationists" anti-science yahoos, Fiorina capitalists, etc. are so beyond the educated American to be a huge Midwestern\ Southern brain waste. If you can defend a party like that than perhaps you are also a Republican embarrassed to admit it in public
Well, there's some of that in the CA GOP, but there are also a lot of moderates. Look at how well Meg Whitman is doing in the Silicon Valley, which is a centrist place: she's losing.

The CA GOPs two extremists are the OC Christian conservatives, and the anti-immigrant/anti-illegal-immigrant yahoos. The old CA Republican tradition is kind of liberal compared to the rest of the country.

If Reagan came back to life, he's win office based on name recognition, not for his center-right politics. He'd unify the factions.

That said, if some random person came up with a platform based on Reagan's actual policies and practices, they'd lose. They'd have a better shot running as a Democrat (a la Loretta Sanchez).

Old 10-17-2010, 06:02 AM

What about Maxine as mayor of LA?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgift View Post
Well, there's some of that in the CA GOP, but there are also a lot of moderates. Look at how well Meg Whitman is doing in the Silicon Valley, which is a centrist place: she's losing.

The CA GOPs two extremists are the OC Christian conservatives, and the anti-immigrant/anti-illegal-immigrant yahoos. The old CA Republican tradition is kind of liberal compared to the rest of the country.

If Reagan came back to life, he's win office based on name recognition, not for his center-right politics. He'd unify the factions.

That said, if some random person came up with a platform based on Reagan's actual policies and practices, they'd lose. They'd have a better shot running as a Democrat (a la Loretta Sanchez).
Your assessment is entirely consistent with what I have read and posted various articles about how a Reagan Republican is not how Republicans think today. Moderates who are more concerned about fiscal policy and less interested in social issues are the old Republicans that used to dominate California and the East Coast. People don't realize that San Francisco used to be a strong Republican stronghold; also Los Angeles. But those wealthy Republicans turned Democratic years ago; Diane Feinstein is an excellent example of a politician who is really a moderate Republican that doesn't exist anymore except governors like Schwarzenegger.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Maxine Waters, if she were governor, would put California back where it belongs. She seems has a plan to get the economy moving, helping consumers, and ending global warming.
Would that be before or after she serves her long jail term?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Muddy Waters for Prez!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNvOn...eature=related

Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Your assessment is entirely consistent with what I have read and posted various articles about how a Reagan Republican is not how Republicans think today. Moderates who are more concerned about fiscal policy and less interested in social issues are the old Republicans that used to dominate California and the East Coast. People don't realize that San Francisco used to be a strong Republican stronghold; also Los Angeles. But those wealthy Republicans turned Democratic years ago; Diane Feinstein is an excellent example of a politician who is really a moderate Republican that doesn't exist anymore except governors like Schwarzenegger.
This is totally true.

I hope that Prop 25 will pass. I think it will, in the long term, help Republicans get back to being an effective party. In the short term, it benefits Democrats, of course -- but when a party is faced with electing 50% of the legislature, the party has few options. They would have to alter their platform.

Right now, they can stop a budget with only 2/3 of the vote. That leads them to grandstand on the budget issue, where they have excessive power. Since they can't pass laws, they grab onto the only power they have.

There is no law that says the Republicans must be the right-wingers on all issues. In fact, back in the day, Joe Lieberman unseated incumbent moderate Republican Lowell Weicker by attacking "from the right". Lieberman the Democrat was more conservative than Weicker the Republican.

It would be good for both parties to re-establish a mix of left and right issues, particularly on social issues, and allow economics to be the main shaper of the party line. Democrats could again be the populists, and the Republicans could be the business party.

I'd much prefer a class war to the "culture war" we're seeing today.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
I think that Malicious Maxine running for governor is a terrific idea, and I hope she goes for it. That way, it would be a slam dunk for the GOP, and its candidate would win by a landslide. Btw, has anyone ever seen or heard this woman in a good mood? In every single public appearance she is shrieking and howling about something, or attacking someone in that shrill accusing tone of voice of hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles