U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 AM

147 posts, read 171,405 times
Yep, so far I have been doing local gigs here in Toronto. I was a dancer in an upcoming movie Breakaway that will have Russel Peters, I have also done a couple of local commercials. I realize it may not get me the great networking right away, but in the mean time it's fullfilling my desire .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM

90 posts, read 108,436 times
If you're really serious about acting as a profession, you need to approach it like you would any other profession. You'd assess the industry, figure out how to make yourself look good, and do some smart networking.

To frame it in a slightly different context: You're marketing a product. That product is you. Toronto is a GREAT place to improve your product (learn your craft, hone your skills, all those cliches that mean "work, and then work more"), especially if you're leaning towards comedy. Second City Toronto looks really good on a resume.

In business terms, a trip to L.A. is a good way to feel out the market. More importantly, it's a chance to have fun, get some sun, see new places and things... y'know, a vacation.

I'm a big fan of Bonnie Gillespie's book Self-Management for Actors. I think it's in its third edition.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
If you're really serious about acting as a profession, you need to approach it like you would any other profession. You'd assess the industry, figure out how to make yourself look good, and do some smart networking.

To frame it in a slightly different context: You're marketing a product. That product is you. Toronto is a GREAT place to improve your product (learn your craft, hone your skills, all those cliches that mean "work, and then work more"), especially if you're leaning towards comedy. Second City Toronto looks really good on a resume.

In business terms, a trip to L.A. is a good way to feel out the market. More importantly, it's a chance to have fun, get some sun, see new places and things... y'know, a vacation.

I'm a big fan of Bonnie Gillespie's book Self-Management for Actors. I think it's in its third edition.
Thank you for all of your great help. I am currently doing background work just to build experience, as if I can put in the crazy hours doing grunt work, getting some proper work would be a blessing. As for Toronto being a good market, yes it is pretty good and I would not consider permenantly moving to LA unless A. I have been offered a role there or B. Have become successful in the market of Toronto. also thanks for the book reference!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM

55 posts, read 83,956 times
Gelson's market in Studio city

Old 10-19-2010, 03:36 PM

2,779 posts, read 2,955,886 times
How about hanging out at LAX. Celebs are always flying to do something. My dad used to work there & saw Bill Cosby once.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,447 posts, read 1,262,085 times
i lived in venice and i saw LOADS, and i mean, LOADS of celebrities. the abbot's habit cafe and abbot's pizza are two in particular. i saw javier bardem, jason schwartzman, gretchen moll, angelica huston, wesley snipes, the blonde afro guy from "That 70's show", joan osbourne, and snider from "One day at a time" there. it made me quite happy actually, to see that Snider was driving a really nice car and seems to be doing QUITE well for himself post "One day at a time". i even had a fifteen minute chat about babies and dogs at the taco place next to abbot's habit with none other than molly ringwald, who was so damn nice i could hardly believe it. so hustle down to venice and go sit at abbots habit, you WILL see celebrities. i have yet, however, to see my two husbands, mark ruffalo and benecio del toro, ANYWHERE (tho i understand from friends of mine that beni is partial to dive bars and always has about thirty chicks just waiting to offer him their virginity hahaha)

Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM

LAX is a good one, and I assume paparazzi would be all over it so it would be easier to spot them. Also thanks for the Venice, and gelsons market

Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM

315 posts, read 352,714 times
Beverley center

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,907,680 times
The museums, believe it or not. They usually have their wife/girlfriend and kids with them. Saw Jack Black and family at LACMA; Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson at MOCA on Grand. Also movie events at the Academy on Wilshire or the American Cinemateque at the Egyptian.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
You should just spend your time interning for a production company. You can network and work your way up and it's a lot better odds than bumping into a celeb, getting their info, and them giving you a gig...
This is good advice.
The problem with recognizable celebs is just that they are recognized everywhere they go and build up an inner defense mechanism. Why do you think most celebs have relationships with people inside the industry.
If you are just trying to network avoid “famous” people go for solid industry professionals and in a few years you will have all the celebrity friends you want.
But by that time you may not want them!!
Also if you have teenagers and live in Malibu you will find you have “famous” people of all types picking up their children from your house!!

Last edited by impala666; 10-22-2010 at 01:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles