U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 10:15 PM

8 posts, read 27,217 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll be meeting up with some friends from home this weekend and I getting them at the Standard Hotel. I know there is a great roof top bar there but other than that - I don't know Downtown too well. Are there any good night spots etc (not really looking for all out clubbing here) nearby as such?

I already know about the bars etc on Sunset/W Hollywood - but any suggestions for Downtown would be great.

I hear it has been upgraded some in the last few years...

All info appreciated.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 AM

9,709 posts, read 12,790,884 times
I'd check LA Weekly. There's also a downtown LA paper that's also on the internet -- but I don't seem to have it bookmarked in this computer. If you do a search for "things to do" and "downtown LA" you'll probably be able to find it via Google.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 AM

749 posts, read 1,529,004 times
By far one of the most unique bars/lounges in all of Los Angeles is the Edison located at 2nd and Main in Downtown.

The Edison ... living history in Downtown Los Angeles

There is no cover and the historically restored building looks like a 1920's speakeasy....you'll feel like you are in San Francisco more so than LA.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM

7,084 posts, read 18,219,839 times
Downtown Businesses Los Angeles

Also check with the concierge at the hotel. Being that The Standard is a pretty hip place, I'm sure they will have some recommendations of places with in a short walk or cab ride from the hotel.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:41 AM

931 posts, read 1,407,781 times
If you want a place that's walking distance from The Standard, check out Dublin's Whiskey Bar on 7th St (between Flower and Figueroa). It's fairly new, I've heard good things.

Then, if that's not to your liking, you can walk down 7th St eastbound and go to 7 Grand (also a whiskey-type bar, but they have all types of drinks). It's located between Grand & Olive.

These are some good walking options for you. They should all be free cover. You'll need to drive or cab it to get to the Edison from The Standard.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:43 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,217,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
By far one of the most unique bars/lounges in all of Los Angeles is the Edison located at 2nd and Main in Downtown.

There is no cover and the historically restored building looks like a 1920's speakeasy....you'll feel like you are in San Francisco more so than LA.
Edison is fun, but can be extremely busy. Its worth checking out for a drink or two, but its sometimes too busy to even get served at the bars.

I've always had the most fun at the hotel bars DTLA, but thats usually because i'm there for "work", and people are staying in the hotels.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 PM

931 posts, read 1,407,781 times
Yeah, I like the bar/restaurant at the Wilshire Grand Hotel at 7th/Fig. I'm not sure what it's like on a Saturday night, but I've gone there after work a few times to watch Laker games and it's pretty good.

I conversed with a couple guys in town from Australia while I was sitting at the bar watching a playoff game.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 PM

5,409 posts, read 10,969,969 times
start at the standard. it has no equal. neither does the edison. both places i take out of towners. for themore low key spots i go to the figueroa hotel. also pool side. very laid back vibe. within walking distance of the standard you have library bar. great food and concept. there is 7 grand. broadway bar. the association. las perlas tequila bar. quite a few places to check out. it really depends on their mood.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 8,179,129 times
Lots of places actually. Of course LA Live which is mostly a chain restaurant place, but its fun. I haven't even tried to see if there are lounges or clubs in the hotels, but there probably is. Also the Lucky Strike bowling alley there is very expensive, but kinda a happening place.

I provided links to Yelp reviews and the website for each because each scene is pretty different.

213 - Broadway Bar
Broadway Bar - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

213 - Golden Gopher
Golden Gopher - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

The Edison - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

bluewhalemusic.com
Blue Whale Bar - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

The Varnish
The Varnish - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

Seven Grand | Downtown Los Angeles | 213
Seven Grand - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

www.librarybarla.com
Library Bar - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

Spring Street Bar - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

213 Downtown LA Nightlife

And if you need a seedy, inexpensive strip club:

www.samshofbrau.com
Sam's Hofbrau - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 27,217 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info folks - we had a great time.

Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or