U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 PM

636 posts, read 1,796,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, let the citizens of the US enjoy themselves "ONE" night....not for weeks before and weeks after the 4th of July. That is the problem, the fireworks are abused like so many other things. A few rotten people ruin it for the rest. And as I stated...let our "citizens" enjoy our fourth!!! But it should only be done on the fourth of July!!!
At least they stopped with the firing of guns! 20 years ago I could hear guns firing all over LA on New Years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:26 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,618,115 times
In Los Angeles, the use of fireworks is illegal because most of the individuals lighting them off #1 have to sense of safety for themselves or the structures around them #2. have no clue as to what the 4th of July is really about beyond "the day you light fireworks".

Every year, there are house, apartment, garage & tree fires due to idiots lighting them off next to a building or tree. The bottle rocket goes on the roof, into the dryed fronds of a palm tree and boom - You have a Fire. Funny thing, is that after the tenants light their building on fire, they expect the building owner to pay for their furniture, their clothing, and hotel/alternative housing.

Last year about a few weeks after the 4th, I saw some kids standing outside of their apartment bldg. They were lighting sky rockets off and they were hitting palm trees. The palm trees were about 1 foot away from the roofline of a 3 story bldg. I called the cops and waited around for about 1/2 hour. The cops never showed even though the police station was 2 1/2 blocks away. typical.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,438,110 times
LALady, Boy you are lucky.....we still hear the guns going off...even more on the fourth of July!!
greggd, Oh yes....we also called the cops for some gangs running up and down our neighborhood causing problems...it was a "no-show" too. We live 1/2 mile from the police station.
We live in a nice neighborhood. Mostly older people who have owned their homes for 35 years. Well kept yards and great neighbors.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 07-06-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
LALady, Boy you are lucky.....we still hear the guns going off...even more on the fourth of July!!
greggd, Oh yes....we also called the cops for some gangs running up and down our neighborhood causing problems...it was a "no-show" too. We live 1/2 mile from the police station.
We live in a nice neighborhood. Mostly older people who have owned their homes for 35 years. Well kept yards and great neighbors.
wow... didn't know people hadn't got the message about firing guns into the air.

And I call police about car alarms (ringing for hours) ... they ALWAYS show up but I think the cops responding to car alarms is a specialized unit of LAPD.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM

To be honest I don't know if those people were infact just firing those bullets into the air---could have been at each other! Now New Years eve is horrible. We just stay in the house and even that can be dangerous!! How sad. As for the 4th of July...most of those people firing off the fireworks and guns don't even know what the 4th of July is really all about!! They just enjoy the "BANG".

Old 07-09-2007, 01:39 AM

5,404 posts, read 7,694,911 times
i love that people are so terrorized by artificial flames and some ka-booms that they stay home and tip tap away at their computers complaining!!! i love the 4th. this year me and a group of friends were together staring out. we saw all the wonderful lights in the sky. i look forward to it. the cops come by every block, but after they leave the big guns are back out. its like a professional show on every block! its been like this for years. and you know what, i only heard sirens once all night. it was an ambulance, probably some dum kid blowing off his fingers. anyhow the only prob i have is that they lasted late into the night. i had to work thurs!! but i love all the lights. and yes this citizen does not know what the 4th is about! its just like st pattys and cinco de drinko, another reason to party and drink.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 AM

571 posts, read 976,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
I've been listening to literally 1000s of fireworks going off in the streets. Is the 'no fireworks" law the most ignored law in LA?
Going off in the streets of LA, Are you sure that was not gun fire?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 AM

571 posts, read 976,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i love that people are so terrorized by artificial flames and some ka-booms that they stay home and tip tap away at their computers complaining!!! i love the 4th. this year me and a group of friends were together staring out. we saw all the wonderful lights in the sky. i look forward to it. the cops come by every block, but after they leave the big guns are back out. its like a professional show on every block! its been like this for years. and you know what, i only heard sirens once all night. it was an ambulance, probably some dum kid blowing off his fingers. anyhow the only prob i have is that they lasted late into the night. i had to work thurs!! but i love all the lights. and yes this citizen does not know what the 4th is about! its just like st pattys and cinco de drinko, another reason to party and drink.
I also love the 4th. but where we are at we don't have to hide and wonder if the police are on there way to bust us. Unlike california Arkansas lets us have fun on the 4th of July. And we don't have those crappy safe & sane fireworkes like thay sell in a few towns if california.
We are good to go on New Years Eve to

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
I was speaking about "GUNS" shooting real bullets!! And the fourth of July means a whole lot more then a big party!! I go out and enjoy the fireworks--the legal fireworks, and I take time to remember "WHY" we are celebrating the 4th of July. I stay in my home when those guns start firing in the air. I suppose we each have our own opinion on this subject, obviously!!

Dozens of wildfires rage across the West: One more reason CA has strict regulations regarding illegal fireworks. CA got less then 3" of rain this year. These fires are not in the city of course but the illegal use of fireworks goes on out in the ourskirts of the city as well and so many fires are started this way.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 07-09-2007 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I also love the 4th. but where we are at we don't have to hide and wonder if the police are on there way to bust us. Unlike california Arkansas lets us have fun on the 4th of July. And we don't have those crappy safe & sane fireworkes like thay sell in a few towns if california.
We are good to go on New Years Eve to
In LA you would definitely have to hide your fireworks from the police. Even the sparklers are forbidden!

Things are so controlled in LA that the biggest fireworks shows are no longer given on the 4th. The show occurs on a day before the 4th. The powers that be (LAPD probably) decided that the shows on the 4th were getting too big and rowdy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles