U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 AM

17 posts, read 32,810 times

Advertisements

I'm currently doing a volunteered tour in Afghanistan, i did one in Iraq and felt i needed to get the best of both worlds. 4 months from today i'll be heading home, 5 months i'll be honorably discharged from the military fulfilling my obligation to the contract i signed 5 years ago. My 1SG in the military who is now retired, works at LAX as a BFO, with 90 personnel staff under him. He was kind enough to invite me to his home and a position at the airport. I currently live in NYC, my plan was to apply for Federal Air Marshal. I was selected last year but i couldn't provide them with a DD214 [discharge papers] therefore, they were obligated to give up my slot. Now, im currently on the NYPD list, passed the exam with flying colors [first one done] and was using this field as a last resort, since they've upped their salary. My problem is that i don't want to live in new york anymore. People depend on me too much making it hard for me to depend on myself, i just want to disappear from it all and finally begin my own life. I traveled to Los Angeles last year just to see what life would be like, and i loved it. So my question to you would be, given my situation, would it be wise to relocate and pursue a career in the LAPD? I am aware of any and all risk, so please refrain from using any deragatory statements concerning the LAPD, my philosophy towards people who talk and don't do much, should always keep quiet. Like Mike Tyson says "everyone always has a plan until they get punched in the mouth" or mouf, if u want to consider his lisp. Any helpful experiences with relocating will be appreciated and noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 AM

132 posts, read 300,957 times
If you want to be in L.A., now's the time to do it, before you get tied down to a new life in New York. Might as well at least give it a shot, it sounds like you have a plan with a good chance of success.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM

7,060 posts, read 17,932,840 times
i think almost every city department in under a hiring freeze right now due to the economy. you should probably call or email the department and see how many officers they plan on taking on in the next year or so.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM

899 posts, read 1,196,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i think almost every city department in under a hiring freeze right now due to the economy. you should probably call or email the department and see how many officers they plan on taking on in the next year or so.
What he said. But you could always get a job with a company while you wait for the LAPD if they are not hiring right now. I know the company I work for (Time Warner) pretty much guarantees you a job if you're a vet.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 32,810 times
actually, the LAPD emailed me, unfortunately testing centers are closed until further notice, but the salary looks somewhat decent for a cop. I'm the type of guy that doesn't need alot, and i hate consistency in my life. I like progressing, my 1st 2 years in the Military i made it to the rank of Sergeant; although, now i can't be promoted because lack of time in service, been offered the next rank twice already. LAPD looks like a fun job to keep my life on edge and on the line. Thanks for the info guys!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,070,924 times
There are tons of departments in the LA area, PLEASE don't make the mistake of looking at LAPD only.

PM me if you'd like more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or