Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 02:19 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Would any fellow Angelenos want a Los Angeles photography thread? Or do we have one that I haven't found yet? San Diego has one so why don't we have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Jesse, I'm happy for you that you are young and solvent enough to partay in West L.A. More power to you. For those of us who are neither, here's a former photo essay I posted, answering your request for photos...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
This is what $1,000.00 a month gets you in a 1-bedroom apartment about five blocks from where I live:

This is what just under $500,000.00 gets you in 2- or 3-bedroom housing in L.A., both are in Compton, which has a reputation of which I think you've all heard :

Here's our educational system in the news!

and here's right where I live, with its demographic of illegal immigrants:

Lastly, this unbelievably famous Art Deco building, the Pan Pacific Auditorium, pictured in every architecture book extant on the subject, was not deemed worthy enough to be saved by the powers that be in Los Angeles. It was subsequently demolished. Everything older than two minutes here is considered a tear-down.

There are those who've moved here making large salaries and are dazzled by the weather: their posting will always be apologist for the largescale L.A. woes that don't affect them personally. There are very young posters here who don't know otherwise and accept all factors here as "normal" while, again, not facing or even acknowledging largescale problems that don't affect them.

There are always trade-offs. Yes, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Texas have horrendous property taxes. Yes, most other non-arid regions of the U.S. have actual bad weather. It would be fallacious not to remind relocators of same. But it is equally fallacious to present the all good, all the time rhapsodising about L.A. to people spending a great deal of money to relocate.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times
Thanks for the photos. That other landmark, the Ambassador hotel, has also been demolished. And today's paper has an article about the impending sale of the Magic Castle to developers that have their sites on the surrounding land. Like Las Vegas, LA keeps none of its history.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Thanks for the photos. That other landmark, the Ambassador hotel, has also been demolished. And today's paper has an article about the impending sale of the Magic Castle to developers that have their sites on the surrounding land. Like Las Vegas, LA keeps none of its history.
Did you read the entire article? Keeping the Magic Castle in operation will be a stipulation of any deal to acquire/redevelop the property.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Would any fellow Angelenos want a Los Angeles photography thread? Or do we have one that I haven't found yet? San Diego has one so why don't we have one.
i created a slide show of over 100 LA photos i took two years ago for a friend in italy, but yahoo has recently made some changes, and it seems to have disappeared into the cyber-ether. i still have the photos, of course, but i spent a great deal of time on the captions, and all are now lost. if i can recreate it, i'll post a link here. maybe that will be my project this weekend...

Old 08-26-2007, 02:41 PM

40 posts, read 157,746 times
Now check out the LA Times website. They have pictures that readers have submitted of the LA area. Some of the pictures are pretty cool.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl08 View Post
Now check out the LA Times website. They have pictures that readers have submitted of the LA area. Some of the pictures are pretty cool.
Check these out:

Los Angeles Public Library Photo Database (Beyond Outstanding)
Advanced Search (http://catalog1.lapl.org/cgi-bin/cw_cgi?getLimitedTerms+6920 - broken link)

CSUN San Fernando Valley Historical photos (Time machine with the click of a mouse)
Oviatt Library Digital Collections

University of Southern California photo database
Regional History Collections

Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa35 View Post
Have any of you heard about the contest going on at livelargehere.com? The site is sponsored by Hollywood & Highland. You can submit your best shots and some photos may appear on the site and could be chosen to be displayed at the Live Art festival on 11/3/07
Well you've obviously have heard of it as you've talked about it here:
Shopping in LA area

work for Hollywood and Highland much spammer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles