U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:42 AM

749 posts, read 1,518,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
I know economy is bad everywhere in the US but it seems California is becoming bankrupt like Greece that is negative -101 % or worse than Greece ? I love California lifestyle thinking of moving there from Florida .

What a pity such a beautiful god blessed scenery and nice weather State is going through rough times how worse can California can be. worse to worse Federal Government come in and take over the State . USA is still the strongest and richest country in the world in terms of our government
Actually, Chapter 9 of U.S. bankruptcy law prevents a state from filing "bankruptcy" like a municipality can do (e.g., a city, town, etc.). New York City nearly did that in the 1970's.

A state "could" be put into a receivership which would somewhat resemble a bankrkuptcy.

California's debt to GDP ratio is something like 7% to 10%. By contrast, Greece is something like 110%. Yes, we need to get our house in order but this is a problem that can be solved.

Can California declare bankruptcy? What about Greece? - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 AM

406 posts, read 612,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Actually, Chapter 9 of U.S. bankruptcy law prevents a state from filing "bankruptcy" like a municipality can do (e.g., a city, town, etc.). New York City nearly did that in the 1970's.

A state "could" be put into a receivership which would somewhat resemble a bankrkuptcy.

California's debt to GDP ratio is something like 7% to 10%. By contrast, Greece is something like 110%. Yes, we need to get our house in order but this is a problem that can be solved.

Can California declare bankruptcy? What about Greece? - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine
i guess Greece is in worse shape as their foundation is weak and EU is not giving them enough support. California is part of USA and USA has been through period of rough times and good times . I believe it is just a matter of time things will be the same again . As for Greece it is hard to say because they got way greedy than US and people over there are uneducated unlike the United States tons of people have college degree including myself nowadays .

Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM

11,084 posts, read 13,116,576 times
Quote:
I know economy is bad everywhere in the US but it seems California is becoming bankrupt like Greece that is negative -101 % or worse than Greece ?
California can't go bankrupt (due to the laws) but it could become sufficiently dysfunctional that the federal government could possibly be required to step in some day. But until then remember that taxpayers have practically unlimited funds that could be taxed and taken by the state to continue operation. It seems to me that the tax and spend forces will eventually transcend fiscal conservatives and then taxes will increase sharply and the state will have plenty of money for all the programs and retirements and give-aways and boondoggles it wants.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
California can't go bankrupt (due to the laws) but it could become sufficiently dysfunctional that the federal government could possibly be required to step in some day. But until then remember that taxpayers have practically unlimited funds that could be taxed and taken by the state to continue operation. It seems to me that the tax and spend forces will eventually transcend fiscal conservatives and then taxes will increase sharply and the state will have plenty of money for all the programs and retirements and give-aways and boondoggles it wants.
Just let Federal government take over !

Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 AM

23,609 posts, read 29,698,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
...and then taxes will increase sharply and the state will have plenty of money for all the programs and retirements and give-aways and boondoggles it wants.
Which will be real easy for the small handful of people who will be left there to collect on the public services. If that happens, those who can will leave!

Quote:
Yeah! They've done so well with the country!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which will be real easy for the small handful of people who will be left there to collect on the public services. If that happens, those who can will leave!
Yeah, people like you, people like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quote:
Yeah! They've done so well with the country!
The federal government has done such a great job of ruining ... er ... running the federal government that I can hardly wait for them to do the same great job in California.

Actually I think that both California and US have the same disease, the same structural problems, that I think California's symptoms are more obvious but eventually the federal government will come to have the same problems that California has. The government has gotten too big. The government has become more important than the wellbeing of the citizens.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 AM

5,113 posts, read 4,651,486 times
Almost all states are in financial crisis with California leading the pack. The federal government is in deep unsustainable debt and the printing machines have working 24/7 printing new money which will result in hyperinflation. The feds no longer have the capability to bailout states.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM

lol let IMF take over !

Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,780,320 times
According to an April, 2010 article in the L.A. Times, California's unfunded pension liability exceeds $ 500 BILLION. These are debts that you never hear about and are not part of the $20 BILLION deficit they are always talking about. We are completely screwed. L.A. is only really good for two things anymore. The climate and making money. When it's time to retire, it will be hard to stomach the tax burden that is most certainly coming for California.

California's $500-billion pension time bomb - Los Angeles Times

Mike

Old 10-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
According to an April, 2010 article in the L.A. Times, California's unfunded pension liability exceeds $ 500 BILLION. These are debts that you never hear about and are not part of the $20 BILLION deficit they are always talking about. We are completely screwed. L.A. is only really good for two things anymore. The climate and making money. When it's time to retire, it will be hard to stomach the tax burden that is most certainly coming for California.
Now you know why I'm getting the heck out of here!

What's worse, most states and the federal government too have been making retirement commitments in a similar manner. It's like watching two trains speeding towards one another on the same track, the state and federal government (and taxpayers along for the ride) making retirement commitments exceeding 100% of the budget, and public employment retirees expecting their employer to honor workplace commitments. And worse, private retirement funds are in the same situation.

The only way this will work out well is if a whole bunch of people die sooner than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or