Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
California is better when you are young and single, in your twenties and thirties. You meet enough single midwestern transplants in greater LA, but when it comes to settling down, buying a house and raising a family. Then yes, Ohio, etc. is better to return to.

But LA is great to live for a few years, especially if you have some investments/savings that you draw from if needed.
Not everyone wants to have a family or kids. I'm a woman in my almost mid thirties who never wants kids... ever. L.A is the place for me. It's 2012 now and believe it or not, many folks don't want a family.

Also, I still see nothing wrong with raising a family in L.A I'm not into the whole traditional Midwestern Values thing. L.A is fine for raising a family in my opinion. I don't think the Midwest is necessarily better for raising a family at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 19,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Not everyone wants to have a family or kids. I'm a woman in my almost mid thirties who never wants kids... ever. L.A is the place for me. It's 2012 now and believe it or not, many folks don't want a family.

Also, I still see nothing wrong with raising a family in L.A I'm not into the whole traditional Midwestern Values thing. L.A is fine for raising a family in my opinion. I don't think the Midwest is necessarily better for raising a family at all.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but you're saying this from the perspective of someone who, by her own admission, doesn't have kids and "never wants kids... ever". That's kind of like a trust-fund baby saying that he doesn't see why someone would need a job to live in LA.

I've been here 26 years. 4 years was spent as a student in the Manhattan Beach school system. We left in 1984, but I came back in 1990 and currently live in Pasadena with my family. I've lived all over LA - Marina Del Rey, Sunset Plaza, Silverlake, Beach Cities and now SGV. Some of my family are teachers in the Torrance and Manhattan Beach school districts.

There are lots of reasons why many of us with kids think LA is not the best place to raise kids. To me and I'm sure most, the biggest issue is the schools. I have a 4th-grader and a 1st-grader. Pasadena is a beautiful, wealthy city that has a dirty little secret: it's schools are awful. So, if you care about your kids' education, that means you have to apply for the ultra-competitive private schools. We do well and our private school's tuition is relatively small compared to other LA schools like Crossroads, Harvard-Westlake, Lawrence or Campbell Hall, but it's still almost $20k per year, per student. Believe me, that takes it's toll after a while. Add to that the fact that private schools require annual monetary donations on top of tuition, and the cost really goes up. Including property tax, we spend probably $55k per year on elementary education!

Unless you are wealthy and can afford private school, or you can afford to live in an area that has a solid public school system, like Manhattan Beach, PV, BH, La Cañada, or South Pasadena, you are faced with a dilemma if you take your kids' educations at all seriously. Class sizes in many area public schools are huge - 30+ students in many areas, over 40 in places like Glendale! Then there is the social element, meaning the kids who aren't really there to learn but are there to socialize and/or cause trouble. That also leads to safety issues. My cousin in Torrance says he spends more of his time babysitting than actually teaching, and that's in a relatively decent public school. This problem is widely known to be true throughout the area.

Last edited by Mighty Bleistift; 02-08-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
Well, I think the problem of too many kids from low income households choking the public school system is not just an LA problem but nationwide

Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I'm a woman in my almost mid thirties who never wants kids... ever. L.A is the place for me.
Bravo. Too many people on the planet, and the kids have little to look forward to, anyway. And it appears one saves around $55K per year not having to send the kids to elementary school. That's a lot of good play money.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
Both have thir positives '& negatives

Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM

150 posts, read 243,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So running away from "Kalifornia" back to the snuggly wuggly arms of the Bible Belt transforms one back to immaturity? OK, we'll buy that.
I'm sure he got himself a bible, a double-wide trailer, and a meth lab. Probably feels like a king.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Well, I think the problem of too many kids from low income households choking the public school system is not just an LA problem but nationwide
So your saying kids from low income households should not go to school?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 PM

302 posts, read 452,974 times
To me, it's about where you come from and if you're the type of person who wants or needs change in your life. I certainly think you can raise a family in CA just as you could in OH. The thing is, if you have been at one place your whole life, do you want to change it, or do you want to stay in the place you know. For me, I've grown sick of Chicago's winters, and I cannot wait to move to Southern California. There's also a ton of SCers who are sick with only one season, the materialism, and the people in SC who would gladly welcome moving to a place like Chicago or elsewhere. Really depends on the type of person you are and the place you are in life.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 PM

475 posts, read 507,963 times
NEVER EVER !
I don't want to be surrounded by stupid conservatives.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM

38,882 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
To me, it's about where you come from and if you're the type of person who wants or needs change in your life. I certainly think you can raise a family in CA just as you could in OH. The thing is, if you have been at one place your whole life, do you want to change it, or do you want to stay in the place you know. For me, I've grown sick of Chicago's winters, and I cannot wait to move to Southern California. There's also a ton of SCers who are sick with only one season, the materialism, and the people in SC who would gladly welcome moving to a place like Chicago or elsewhere. Really depends on the type of person you are and the place you are in life.
At my last job, I worked with a lady who is a native Californian from Anaheim. At one point, she surprised us by giving her notice of resignation. The reason was that she had purchased a house in Minnesota and was moving there. She told us that she grew tired of how crowded and expensive California is. The reason she chose Minnesota was that her older daughter (who is married and has 2 or 3 kids) was already living there and she talked my co-worker into moving there. Last I hear, my former co-worker has adapted to life in the Midwest and is thoroughly enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles