U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:34 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,862,588 times

Advertisements

IMO just live in Pasadena, there are plenty of 1br apartments in your price range in nice parts of the city. I did a scan on craigslist and there were plenty that weren't scams (before someone chimes in with the standard line about there being scams on CL).

There is nothing wrong with Alhambra but it is not really going to have the lifestyle you seem to be looking for if you want any kind of 20 something single social scene. It has some great restaurants and is primarily hispanic/asian. I know a couple single females who live there with no problem though, similar to your age (a little older). Crime isn't really an issue - and the neighborhood can be quite walkable if you live close to Main St. But honestly, most of them would rather live in Pasadena, and the only thing that stops them from moving to Pasadena is law of inertia.

Rental prices have fallen to the extent that you should be able to find something in Pasadena if that's where you really want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 63,381 times
I decided on a one bedroom in North Alhambra for just under $900, which seems like a good deal. I wasn't able to find anything for this price in Pasadena, at least not in the nicer areas. Dr. Shang - Did I miss something? There are plenty of cheaper apartments NORTH of the 210 in Pasadena, but that area looks a bit sketchy. All the apartments I saw in the nicer areas of Pasadena (near CalTech or Old Town, south of 210 and west of Sierra Madre) are $1000+.

I've already put down to deposit for the place in Alhambra anyway... Let's just hope I'll like it! Plus they're letting me have pets, which is very hard to find. Oh, and month-to-month lease which worried me at first, but I checked out the property and it's not foreclosed, and the landlord says she won't increase the rent.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:42 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,862,588 times
Pretty much all of Pasadena is good except the area north of the 210 and west of lake. There are a few blocks near Rosemead Bl that might be a little dicey too. Some of the blocks between lake and hill near the 210 aren't great either, but with those search parameters you are missing some areas that are perfectly acceptable, for example pretty much all of the 91107 zip code which has lower crime overall than the 91101 zip code where your search range falls within.

I am sure you will get more for your money in Alhambra, and it's a fine area. The two cities are close enough that you will be fine either way.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,194 times
I hope you liked alhambra! I miss it sooo much

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Hello, I am in the same situation that you, when you post this on the forum. I am looking to rent an apartment on south Bushnell street. I was wondering if you move there or if you know more about it that you can share? I being asking and just got a negative response about the street and want to be sure before renting.
I appreciate the help and guidance you can provide. Thank You!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 AM

920 posts, read 783,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonnotrules View Post
Hi, I'm a 27 year old female who is going to be attending school and working part time in the Pasadena area. I am looking for a place to live in the Alhambra/Pasadena area. I will be living alone, and I have some concerns about safety. What are some good areas to live for my situation? I like South Pasadena a lot, but it is a bit costly and I couldn't find too many vacancies. My budget is $900-$1000/month for rent. Alhambra has a lot more rentals within my budget. I've driven around and noticed that North Pasadena looks a bit run-down so I've ruled that area out.

I've looked at safety ratings and Alhambra is rated pretty high (8.5). But it seems like there are different parts of town. Which are the best areas? I saw a place near Alhambra Road and Bushnell that I like, but the entire street is full of apartments so there are clearly many people living on the block and I was wondering what kind of people live there. Families? Young professionals? Gang members? Retirees?

What is your opinion about Alhambra as a place to live, especially for a young single female?

If you have any insight or other areas you would recommend I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
My dad retired and moved to Alhambra, very close to where you're thinking of living. ( He was on Almansor and Lindaraxa Park) It's a fine neighborhood, very quiet and very safe. Alhambra Police spend a lot of resources in the Bean Tract, in that some of the most expensive homes are located in that area. I would visit him and would run at night on Huntington Drive, and then stop in at Twoehes Restaurant on the corner of Garfield and Huntington to get an Orange Freeze. Very fond memories of the area, you should have no trouble at all. And they have tried to gentrify Main Street, right down the street from where you may be living. So they have a decent night life, a lot more affordable than that in Old Town Pasadena, which is mostly hype and way overrated.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

67 posts, read 67,350 times
North Pasadena is not good. Even Pasadena is not that safe IMO. I wouldn't go walking alone at night. Alhambra is all Chinese. You won't see white people there. I should say its pretty safe, Chinese people are not going to do anything to you. See some Asian gangs, but they are not into mugging or raping. They are mostly into drag racing or cell phone scams etc.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM

5,547 posts, read 5,308,025 times
I thought this was an interesting article about the history of Alhambra. A 91 year old resident discovered a picture of herself at age 5 with her family in a 1926 photo that was blown up and used as part of a mural at a newly opened Wells Fargo in Alhambra. Her father had relocated the family from Chicago to southern CA in 1926 to recover from TB, since it was then believed that sunshine helped cure the disease. (In the print version, you can see the original photo...maybe they'll add it to the online article later.)
Taken aback by a photo from way back - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles