U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM

6,230 posts, read 9,498,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post
Flight & hotel & rental car booked back in MArch through Expedia was about $1,200
You paid for a hotel in Hollywood. That was your first mistake. Hollywood is a tourist spot. So of course prices are naturally inflated there.

Quote:
Hotel parking was over $100
Shouldn't have paid for that hotel in Hollywood in the first place.

Quote:
Rental car Upgrades were over $120
Upgrades to a rental car? Lol you could have just took public transportation! LA has buses AND subways. Let's not forget the fact that you stayed around Hollywood during your entire stay. You could have saved nearly $200.

Quote:
Checking bags were $50
You went over the limit. Airlines charge minimum $25 for a suitcase. If it's more than 50 lbs, it'll cost you $50. For someone staying in CA for four days I can't imagine what you thought you would be doing to bring a +50 lbs suitcase to LA.

Quote:
WSR membership $60
I don't know what that is. But you probably shouldn't have paid for it.

Quote:
Airport parking $70
Airport parking?! You left your car in Atlanta?! You should have taken a taxi or asked your family to bring you to the airport. That's what I would have done.

Quote:
(I think I'm missing a couple of things)
No your not. I get it totally. You simply don't know how to spend money. No offense. But my cousin has the same problem.

Quote:
The whole skin issue and parking/traffic issue was what really turned me off. Trust me, we have bad drivers in Atl but in LA the folks have no reguard for your safety or theirs!
You came to the wrong city. You should have went to San Diego for sunshine, ok drivers, and good weather 24/7. Please try California again some day but make it San Diego. You will love it. I'm 200% sure it is what you were looking for. You just got it mixed up because of some LA-based tv show. They always glamourize things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,862,095 times
We Angelenos and former Angelenos have a built up shell to protect us from the smog and other bad air.

We're all like attractive smoggy turtles.

When I went to Oregon on vacation I couldn't believe how clean the air was.

Seriously though, the air thing is reason enough not to move here. Traffic would be number 2 (both literally and figuratively).

Although you picked the wrong prospective parts to live, i.e. Hollywood, it sounds like it wasn't for you anyway.

Good luck on your search!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,541,666 times
[quote=DT97;16399816]

"Negatives: My face and lips immediately got very irritated the first day. Face was very red and lips were dry, cracked and itching. ( 2 days after returning home they were clear again)"

Care to tell us how you caught that?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM

116 posts, read 186,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You paid for a hotel in Hollywood. That was your first mistake. Hollywood is a tourist spot. So of course prices are naturally inflated there.

Shouldn't have paid for that hotel in Hollywood in the first place.

Upgrades to a rental car? Lol you could have just took public transportation! LA has buses AND subways. Let's not forget the fact that you stayed around Hollywood during your entire stay. You could have saved nearly $200.

You went over the limit. Airlines charge minimum $25 for a suitcase. If it's more than 50 lbs, it'll cost you $50. For someone staying in CA for four days I can't imagine what you thought you would be doing to bring a +50 lbs suitcase to LA.

I don't know what that is. But you probably shouldn't have paid for it.

Airport parking?! You left your car in Atlanta?! You should have taken a taxi or asked your family to bring you to the airport. That's what I would have done.

No your not. I get it totally. You simply don't know how to spend money. No offense. But my cousin has the same problem.

You came to the wrong city. You should have went to San Diego for sunshine, ok drivers, and good weather 24/7. Please try California again some day but make it San Diego. You will love it. I'm 200% sure it is what you were looking for. You just got it mixed up because of some LA-based tv show. They always glamourize things.

(banging my head against the wall)

Can't believe I mised out on all that public transportation!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
We Angelenos and former Angelenos have a built up shell to protect us from the smog and other bad air.

We're all like attractive smoggy turtles.

When I went to Oregon on vacation I couldn't believe how clean the air was.

Seriously though, the air thing is reason enough not to move here. Traffic would be number 2 (both literally and figuratively).

Although you picked the wrong prospective parts to live, i.e. Hollywood, it sounds like it wasn't for you anyway.

Good luck on your search!

I will check out SD next time. Who knows I might drop 3k!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM

[quote=Gurbie;16413837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT97 View Post

"Negatives: My face and lips immediately got very irritated the first day. Face was very red and lips were dry, cracked and itching. ( 2 days after returning home they were clear again)"

Care to tell us how you caught that?

Either the dry climate or the pullution. Happened with in hours from landing.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:12 PM

187 posts, read 352,923 times

Not to mention you came during the time when it was about the hottest it's been all year at record breaking tempertures. We actually didn't have much of a summer, and September sun can be brutal in LA. In fact much of the fall here can be dry, and I suffer the same dry skin and irritation at the beginning of autumn here. Usually after a while it goes away as your skin recovers from the shock. Still most people don't have this problem, but if you have sensitive skin like I do, it happens to me every year around September when season began to change. If you would have been here more than four days, it would (you skin, lips) have most likely gotten better.

BTW I'm a native of LA, but have also lived in other cities as well. LA FM radio probably has the largest selection of music of any city, and the majority of it is english. Just to name a few, 102.7, 102.3, 105.9, 88.1, 91.5, 99.1, 94.7, 92.3, 95.5. These I list aren't all top 40, but they are all popular stations on the FM dial. They range from pop, hard rock, smooth jazz, classic jazz, and classical.

BTW as others said Hollywood is probably one of the worst areas to pick to stay in the area. Especially if you're trying to see what its like to live in LA. There are so many other areas of this city/metro you could have stayed, and with free parking. You will only pay for parking at hotels in areas such as Hollywood, Downtown LA, and perhaps a few of the other larger downtowns in the metro. Even in Long Beach you could have stayed, which BTW have some very nice hotels. They would have been cheaper and many offer free parking too.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post

Not to mention you came during the time when it was about the hottest it's been all year at record breaking tempertures. We actually didn't have much of a summer, and September sun can be brutal in LA. In fact much of the fall here can be dry, and I suffer the same dry skin and irritation at the beginning of autumn here. Usually after a while it goes away as your skin recovers from the shock. Still most people don't have this problem, but if you have sensitive skin like I do, it happens to me every year around September when season began to change. If you would have been here more than four days, it would (you skin, lips) have most likely gotten better.

BTW I'm a native of LA, but have also lived in other cities as well. LA FM radio probably has the largest selection of music of any city, and the majority of it is english. Just to name a few, 102.7, 102.3, 105.9, 88.1, 91.5, 99.1, 94.7, 92.3, 95.5. These I list aren't all top 40, but they are all popular stations on the FM dial. They range from pop, hard rock, smooth jazz, classic jazz, and classical.

BTW as others said Hollywood is probably one of the worst areas to pick to stay in the area. Especially if you're trying to see what its like to live in LA. There are so many other areas of this city/metro you could have stayed, and with free parking. You will only pay for parking at hotels in areas such as Hollywood, Downtown LA, and perhaps a few of the other larger downtowns in the metro. Even in Long Beach you could have stayed, which BTW have some very nice hotels. They would have been cheaper and many offer free parking too.

Good call, now I know. I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,265,315 times
My husband just got back to LA on a scouting trip. He was there for 4 nights.
Flight (from Boston. he took a carry-on bag since it was only for 4 days): $275
Hotel (in Glendale. parking was included): $303
Car rental: $100 (I think it was less than this, but I rounded up)
WSR membership: $60
Cab to the airport (I picked him up): $30
Total: $768

Soooo... yeah. That guy above was right. You don't know how to spend money. $2K seems like a RIDICULOUS amount to spend on a scouting trip!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:28 PM

88 posts, read 204,677 times
Smile Try San Diego!

I'm going to say try San Diego too! I think it has much more of what you are looking for... The downtown is great, lots of nightlife; the beaches are good, the people are pretty friendly too. The drivers are better than LA (not the best... but better), and the air is much cleaner and the temps are a lot more mild!! The city is really user friendly too- we have the trolley and even just driving through the city is easy-- for a city. There are places where rent prices aren't "as bad" too...

Plus, if you want to get up to LA, it's a couple hours by car or train... and so are the mountains.

Good luck! (just got done spending money, time and energy scouting San Francisco myself-- just remember even if it feels like you spent a lot, knowledge is priceless! And 2k is a lot less than it would cost to move to LA, be miserable, and have to move back!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or