U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:56 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,966,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenRose View Post
Also, we were hoping to find furnished mainly so we could move back home more easily if it turned out we couldn't find jobs by late August. The thing about my job is that if we try until October and things don't work out, I'm moving back to Boston without a teaching job and, honestly, if I have to stay in Boston I'd rather stay here with my secure job/relatively well paying job rather than be underemployed (which is a huge problem in Boston and around the country for college grads). We would be willing to be underemployed in LA to start while we search for better jobs - is it also very difficult to find food service and retail positiions currently?
Look into "extended stay" hotels in the LA area. They are furnished and you won't have to worry about breaking a lease or any of that. There are a few in the Burbank/Glendale area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 AM

49,590 posts, read 41,624,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenRose View Post
My long-term boyfriend and I are in our mid-20s and are looking for a major change. He's an actor in Boston who has a good list of credits/experience and has had some glowing theatre reviews and is ready to sink or swim out in LA. He's been thinking alot about it and we've read all the info on here/other websites and blogs and he's doing it anyway, so we don't need advice on that. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder which is getting worse every year and I'm ready to move someplace with less harsh winters. Now seems like the right time in both our lives for this move.

Anyway! Our plan is to visit in December or February (probably February at this point) and see if we can get a lay of the land since we've never been to LA before. If possible, I might also see if there are any districts or private schools interviewing for the 2011 school year (I know this is unlikely). I will be using a friend's local address on my resumes.

On July 1st after my current school closes for the summer, we're going to keep most of our stuff in storage at either of our parents' houses and drive cross-country with just the necessities to LA. Our goal is going to be to find a furnished sublet for July and August. If not we'll be bringing an air mattress.

At that point, we're going to give ourselves until August 20th to find some kind of stable work to pay the bills, realizing that we'll probably end up underemployed (we both have BAs). If either of us (or both of us) gets a job that can support the two of us cheaply, we will stay. If not, we'll move back to Boston and live with his parents until we can find a new apt. there for Sept. 1st and I'll go back to my teaching job which will be waiting for me until I quit.

question is mainly about whether this plan sounds feasible? Is a little more than a month and a half long enough to find SOMETHING, even if it's minimum wage? We've shared a studio apt. before and could do it again and we know how to live cheaply (I used to be in Americorps). Is 8 months enough time to plan a move to LA? How much money will we need to have in the bank to do this? (I have money saved and I will continue getting paychecks until late September if I choose to quit).

If anyone has any advice aside from telling us we're crazy for our motivations (we know we are being a little bit dreamy) please feel free to give it. If we don't do this now, we never will so we'd rather try to go up against the obstacles than just give up.
At least you are dreamers with a plan. Many just move without being realistic.

It sounds to me like you are doing the research, are aware of the problems you might face and will be moving with some cash stored away, a plan if it doesn't work and lots of enthursiam. Go for it, just don't fall apart if it doesn't work out.

As for how much money you will need, if you have a job lined up, you will still need maybe $5000, without a job double that. I say that much money as I really think you should give this more than 6 weeks. As for sub-leasing, this isn't quite as common in Ca as the esst. You may want to consider the extended living hotels. The will have small living quarters and a kitchen, are not that expensive and you will be able to prepare your meals.

Nita

Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,510 posts, read 1,430,694 times
hell, i only had about a months preparation before i moved to california, and i had never even visited, and i did it alone, and i am a chick, from GA. i drove out here by myself. if i can do it, you can do it.
do you have a van? if you guys do, try sleeping in that. wal marts are free except in California but there are plenty of campgrounds. if you are in LA, i would reccomend Venice for sleeping in your car. i did it for four months.
don't confine yourself to just looking at jobs on craigslist. look under "gigs" as well. good spot for one-off local gigs doing all sorts of stuff. research, artist assistant, all sorts of stuff.
do it do it do it. don't be afraid. its an adventure. you have your fella with you, so go for it!!!!!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM

315 posts, read 376,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
hell, i only had about a months preparation before i moved to california, and i had never even visited, and i did it alone, and i am a chick, from GA. i drove out here by myself. if i can do it, you can do it.
do you have a van? if you guys do, try sleeping in that. wal marts are free except in California but there are plenty of campgrounds. if you are in LA, i would reccomend Venice for sleeping in your car. i did it for four months.
don't confine yourself to just looking at jobs on craigslist. look under "gigs" as well. good spot for one-off local gigs doing all sorts of stuff. research, artist assistant, all sorts of stuff.
do it do it do it. don't be afraid. its an adventure. you have your fella with you, so go for it!!!!!
lol did you make it to Hollywood movies yet ? and do you have college degree ?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,510 posts, read 1,430,694 times
nope. i have been here five years tho, so i have pretty much settled in. and i make lil films- i have made 8 so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles