Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:37 AM

52 posts, read 259,086 times

Advertisements

No, not safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
a "good ethnic MIX" is precisely the opposite of what i'm referring to. if all one's neighbors are unlike oneself, but like each other, where's the variety in that? (russian MARSHMALLOWS?)
I haven't found any neighborhoods where the neighbors were all alike. Usually there is a mix of people.

Russian marshmallows are the most awful thing I think I've tried. They tasted toxic, like a chemical compound, even though they were pretty colors. Russian chocolate, on the other hand, is very very good and highly addictive!

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 25,743 times
I live at 5617 Carlton Way and haven't had any problems at all, although it is a little dirty around here.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Default It's up to you..

I have lived in several different places from Vermont to the 101 and Franklin to Sunset. If you like urban life, it's not bad...it's more dirty and there is trash on the street, but nothing you wouldn't find in New York. I personally like the spice of a more diverse neighborhood. This street where you are looking is safe...they are all safe, 10 years ago not so much, but the gentrification of Hollywood has forced a lot of the crime out of LA. Yes, it is across the street from an elementary school, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If these things don't turn you on, but you still want a little spice, check out the melrose area just south of West Hollywood. More whitebread, but still a little flare.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
a "good ethnic MIX" is precisely the opposite of what i'm referring to. if all one's neighbors are unlike oneself, but like each other, where's the variety in that? (russian MARSHMALLOWS?)

don't take the dahmer comment personally. it has nothing to do with cultural diversity; it has to do with a predator choosing to live in a poor, dangerous community so he could victimize his neighbors without much interference-- or maybe that was a fringe benefit, and not a deliberate choice, i don't know.
I don't think it was so deliberate, nor is it characteristic of all predators. The Manson Family were based in Pacific Palisades and then in Chatsworth, neither one was a bad neighborhood then and isn't now. Gacy lived in a pretty nice suburb of Chicago, and Berkowitz lived in Throg's Neck which is one of the few nice parts of the Bronx.

I do think many predators are drawn to seedy areas with a great number of transients because their victims won't be missed, and many are also drawn to areas on the fringes of metropoli because it's easier to avoid detection (and at the time of the Manson killings, Chatsworth was on the fringes of Greater L.A. and the Palisades was far less developed than today.) But this isn't true with all of them.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think it was so deliberate, nor is it characteristic of all predators. The Manson Family were based in Pacific Palisades and then in Chatsworth, neither one was a bad neighborhood then and isn't now. Gacy lived in a pretty nice suburb of Chicago, and Berkowitz lived in Throg's Neck which is one of the few nice parts of the Bronx.

I do think many predators are drawn to seedy areas with a great number of transients because their victims won't be missed, and many are also drawn to areas on the fringes of metropoli because it's easier to avoid detection (and at the time of the Manson killings, Chatsworth was on the fringes of Greater L.A. and the Palisades was far less developed than today.) But this isn't true with all of them.

Wow, we could escalate a mammoth thread on LA serial killers: Manson, Night Stalker, Skid Row Slasher, Hillside Stranglers, etc.

Fascinating stuff, I've read all the books. Great true crime reading.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wow, we could escalate a mammoth thread on LA serial killers: Manson, Night Stalker, Skid Row Slasher, Hillside Stranglers, etc.

Fascinating stuff, I've read all the books. Great true crime reading.
i'm only a teenager, so i dont know much about hose people. what did they do? i mean i know they killed people, but what made those ones so famous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles