U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at renting a house in South Gate. I've driven through and the neighborhood seems fine to me.

I work in Downey, so the location for commuting is great.

The house is located near the 710, practically on the Downey border.

I've searched the forums and people often refer to South Gate (and Downey for that matter) as "ghetto" - but they don't really seem that way to me, just working class....

What I want to know is will I feel safe enough if my dog has to go for a walk around 8 or 9 at night or at 5 in the morning?

I currently live in North Hollywood, which I've also seen referred to as "ghetto" on these forums - and it's certainly not! (Some people must just have a very low tolerance for a bit of trash, small amounts of graffiti, and people who aren't white - I look at it as interesting, and diverse. Not like the horrible Valencia, which is full of perfectly manicured lawns, new buildings, and box stores!)

Thanks for any opinions you might pass my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 PM

5,405 posts, read 7,975,959 times
south gate is not bad at all. there are some areas that are a bit more dense and run down, but it is like any other working class community in LA. its an older city that has been a bit neglected. but it isnt "ghetto" like watts is. FYI watts borders SG, but across alameda. closer to the 710 is fine. you should be fine. lots of young latino professionals/families live in that area. they walk their dogs too.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM

938 posts, read 2,570,913 times
IMO, it and Boyle Heights tie for being the "most" Hispanic area of LA.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,274,018 times
My, My, My! I graduated from South Gate High School in 1967, at that time I estimate there were maybe 100 Blacks and Hispanics in the entire school. The town of South Gate was White and proud of it; not sure if Hispanics lived there, but there definitely weren't Blacks there. Times can bring about interesting changes.
I enjoyed myself during my high school years, but it started out rough, since many of the adults and a few students didn't want us there. In my graduating class, a young black woman with the second highest GPA was the Salutatorian.
Very interesting, I must visit the area to see the changes.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM

49 posts, read 67,794 times
I used to live in Downey and have driven through South Gate. It was like entering a different country. It was also very rundown and there was a lot of gang activity then. This was seven years ago, so I don't know how it is now.

Why not rent in Downey?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM

544 posts, read 1,085,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
My, My, My! I graduated from South Gate High School in 1967, at that time I estimate there were maybe 100 Blacks and Hispanics in the entire school. The town of South Gate was White and proud of it; not sure if Hispanics lived there, but there definitely weren't Blacks there. Times can bring about interesting changes.
I enjoyed myself during my high school years, but it started out rough, since many of the adults and a few students didn't want us there. In my graduating class, a young black woman with the second highest GPA was the Salutatorian.
Very interesting, I must visit the area to see the changes.
Some of the groups that eventually morphed into the Bloods and Crips were originally gangs set up to protect Watts against the white thugs in South Gate.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,726 times
Hi....I have a real estate office in Downey and I know South Gate well....South Gate rents are a lot lower than Downey but there are some good rental apartments in Downey as well....better yet why don't you buy. Prices are so low and interest rates and prices are so low....this is first time in California history where the prices are down and so is the interest rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles