U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 AM

345 posts, read 571,703 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I checked out los feliz..it seemed nice. I believe it is basically bordering the East hollywood/Lil Armenia area I ruled out due to crime. Is it safe being so close to that sketchy area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 AM

58 posts, read 270,899 times
My spouse's boss lives in that area, and he really likes it. He's never had any problem with crime. He owns a home there but travels a lot due to business, but he's fine leaving his home unattended for long stretches of time.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 02:38 PM

any idea where the shady hollywood ends and safe los feliz starts?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 PM

1,749 posts, read 5,946,668 times
It's difficult to tell with the naked eye. East of Western, Los Feliz runs to Hollywood Blvd which becomes Thaitown. I walk the area daily as I live in Los Feliz. I love the walkable nature of both Thaitown and Los Feliz Village. The latter has gone through an amazing change in the last 15 years, the former is undergoing gentrification. Judging from your questions, you'd be happiest north of Franklin.

Regarding safety, I live in Los Feliz and find it very safe.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:16 PM

753 posts, read 2,443,950 times
Friend and a roommate are moving from Hollywood to Los Feliz, and they can't wait.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
It's difficult to tell with the naked eye. East of Western, Los Feliz runs to Hollywood Blvd which becomes Thaitown. I walk the area daily as I live in Los Feliz. I love the walkable nature of both Thaitown and Los Feliz Village. The latter has gone through an amazing change in the last 15 years, the former is undergoing gentrification. Judging from your questions, you'd be happiest north of Franklin.

Regarding safety, I live in Los Feliz and find it very safe.
thanks, how about the intersection of Talmadge and Camero?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
thanks, how about the intersection of Talmadge and Camero?
Thoroughly decent neighborhood, 5 min walk to Los Feliz Village. Not "North of Franklin" pretty but very liveable.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM

5 posts, read 25,374 times
Default Los Feliz

Los Feliz is a really nice area. Still affordable. It is in between Fwy 5, Fwy 134 and Fwy 2, which make its access really easy and fast.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Thoroughly decent neighborhood, 5 min walk to Los Feliz Village. Not "North of Franklin" pretty but very liveable.
thanks sorcerer, you are a great resource

couple other questions for today...how about North Berendo St between Hollywood and Franklin? and that VS. Talmadge just North of Franklin.

I am pretty sure now that the Talmadge apt is probably safer? But is it negligible now that I am looking east of Western Ave?

AND

Is Talmadge still good south of Prospect ave?

Thanks!

Last edited by 1newyorkguy; 07-10-2007 at 11:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newyorkguy View Post
thanks sorcerer, you are a great resource

couple other questions for today...how about North Berendo St between Hollywood and Franklin? and that VS. Talmadge just North of Franklin.

I am pretty sure now that the Talmadge apt is probably safer? But is it negligible now that I am looking east of Western Ave?

AND

Is Talmadge still good south of Prospect ave?

Thanks!
Talmage is fine south of Prospect. We parked at Prospect and Clayton yesterday to see a matinee. East of Vermont, Los Feliz goes further south, therefore it's nicer further south than west of Vermont. Hollywood Ave at Berendo is the edge of Thai Town which is a neighborhood in transition and not as pretty as Los Feliz. Go a block up to Franklin and you're greeted with a hillside of mansions. It's not dangerous at all. On the south side of that intersection (Hollywood/Berendo) is Barnsdall Park which hosts (on the hilltop) Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House. They offer tours. There's also an art museum. Admission to the park is of course free. The view is sensational and notably looking toward Los Feliz to see Wright's Los Feliz masterpiece the Ennis-Brown House (looks like a Mayan temple). He was very deliberate about this. On the Franklin end is a fabulous Colombian looking thing built by his son Lloyd Wright which used to be the home of silent screen star Ramon Navarro.

Know that that southern part of Los Feliz has all been gentrified in the last 15 years, therefore you've still got a number of homes with security fences and *ahem* window grilles. The neighborhood is fun. I saw the Harry Potter movie at the Vista (which stands where the enormous Babylon a.k.a. white elephant set sat crumbling for years during the silent era). 5 bucks for a matinee in the lovely old Egyptian styled 1-screen theater.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 07-12-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles