U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM

50,066 posts, read 42,457,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I believe Californians are naturally friendly at least San Diegans are. It's the transplants that are rude and the whole theory about "southern hospitality" and the "hearltand" is completely false in my opinion. I have met people from those areas who were judgmental and rude.
Did you read what I said? I am agreeing, it is the exception that gives everyone a bad name. I do not think any one region is better or worse than another. I will tell you though, people in the south are more openly hospitable. This doesn't mean they are not judgemental but rude ? Yery rarely. You should live in the south and see how kids open doors for people, say excuse me or I am sorry if they walk in front of others, etc. I don't see many kids in some other regions who do this.

Again, you not paying much attention to what is being posted.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
No I see what you are saying. I agree about the Texas thing too. I just get so tired of hearing about southern hospitality and the heartland. People there are like anyone else in America. It's not like rudeness stops when you make it to the Kansas state line. People in the midwest and south tend to be rude if you do not believe what they do like about the bible, guns, and other conservative things. This is what I have experienced in the past.
And at 20 years old, you really haven't experienced mush of what the rest of the country is all about. You comment about the Bible and guns alone, show that. Do not get the idea all southerners or midwesterners are Bible thumpers or carry guns everwhere. Do not think that one was to be a Bible Thumper to be a conservtive. I know a few athiests who are conservative and some ultra religious individauals that happen to be liberals. You can not go through life lumping everyone together.

Nita

Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,554,446 times
Quote:
No I see what you are saying. I agree about the Texas thing too. I just get so tired of hearing about southern hospitality and the heartland. People there are like anyone else in America. It's not like rudeness stops when you make it to the Kansas state line. People in the midwest and south tend to be rude if you do not believe what they do like about the bible, guns, and other conservative things. This is what I have experienced in the past.
I've lived on the east coast, west coast, south, and (since my husband is from IL) visited the midwest extensively.

The nicest people, as a whole, that i have ever met were in Austin, TX. Granted, a lot of them hate Californians (just as Californians hate Texans). But, for the most part... the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. They say hi to you walking down the street and everyone always went out of their way to be as helpful as they possibly could. I had the one of the worst jobs with the greatest people in my life in Austin. Kind of made my crappy job worth it since everyone was so appreciative and NICE. That's the biggest thing I miss about Austin. The people. (And the crazy mad eye candy! Whooo boy!)

2nd up would be the Midwest. Really nice people there. Conservative, yes. But super nice.

3rd would be the West Coast. Almost equal to the Midwest, but you have some LA types ("I wear my sunglasses at night") that make it come in behind the Midwest. On the whole, though, I've found people to be very very friendly.

And then there's the East Coast (where I'm from). As I've written in other posts, East Coasters like to posit themselves as more "real" than anyone else. But really it just comes off as rude or, at the least, reserved. Not everyone. But enough to garner the reputation.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:11 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,554,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And at 20 years old, you really haven't experienced mush of what the rest of the country is all about. You comment about the Bible and guns alone, show that. Do not get the idea all southerners or midwesterners are Bible thumpers or carry guns everwhere. Do not think that one was to be a Bible Thumper to be a conservtive. I know a few athiests who are conservative and some ultra religious individauals that happen to be liberals. You can not go through life lumping everyone together.

Nita
This is mainly true. I know a bunch of liberal religious people and very non-religious conservatives.

I found Austin to be more religious than anywhere I've lived, personally. I wasn't used to it. And probably more "liberal" ( in the original sense of the word. i.e. "Live and let live.") than anywhere else in Texas. That's a whole other post that has already been done, however.

And, there were "You can't bring your gun in here" signs EVERYWHERE! Which I had never seen before. That was... interesting. So, I can see how the South gets the reputation.

Most of the religious and/or conservative people I know live in either Texas or the Midwest. Not so much the East Coast or West Coast. I would HARDLY call them "bible thumpers," however.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM

322 posts, read 237,959 times
Also try the UCLA Outpatient Pediatric Center -

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Yay! It's SO beautiful here. What a difference! And the people are so different, too. Our baby is really cute, so people everywhere have been extra friendly to us, but they really go out of their way out here. Everywhere we go, people are playing peek-a-boo with her, talking to her, and announcing that she is the cutest baby they have ever seen, heh. She's in 7th heaven.

We haven't found a pediatrician yet. I'm going to try Burbank Pediatrics (because it's near where I live). If that doesn't work out, I'm going to try these:

Dr. Daniel Brousseau
Paracelsus Natural Family Health Center, Inc.
740 N Lake Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91104
(626) 794 4668
Paracelsus LA - Naturopathic and Homeopathic Doctors - Los Angeles, Natural Health

Lauren Feder, M.D.
Pediatrics and Homeopathy
6399 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 401
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 651-4454

Jasmeet Gill, M.D.
504 S. Sierra Madre Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 795-8811

Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,062,447 times
Quote:
Yay! It's SO beautiful here. What a difference! And the people are so different, too. Our baby is really cute, so people everywhere have been extra friendly to us, but they really go out of their way out here. Everywhere we go, people are playing peek-a-boo with her, talking to her, and announcing that she is the cutest baby they have ever seen, heh. She's in 7th heaven.

We haven't found a pediatrician yet. I'm going to try Burbank Pediatrics (because it's near where I live). If that doesn't work out, I'm going to try these:
Here's another idea: St. Joseph's Medical Center has a physician referral phone number. You can call them and they'll give you the names of some good physicians. (After having a few lousy docs, I called them. I've been REALLY happy with everyone they referred me to!)

Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
This is mainly true. I know a bunch of liberal religious people and very non-religious conservatives.

I found Austin to be more religious than anywhere I've lived, personally. I wasn't used to it. And probably more "liberal" ( in the original sense of the word. i.e. "Live and let live.") than anywhere else in Texas. That's a whole other post that has already been done, however.

And, there were "You can't bring your gun in here" signs EVERYWHERE! Which I had never seen before. That was... interesting. So, I can see how the South gets the reputation.

Most of the religious and/or conservative people I know live in either Texas or the Midwest. Not so much the East Coast or West Coast. I would HARDLY call them "bible thumpers," however.
I think the mid section of the country either has more religious people or they wear it on their sleeve more.

I did have a rather funny thing happen today, sad but funny: yes, most know I am a Republican and I was at a party meeting this morning. As we are getting ready for a fund raiser we are thinking about good "silent auction" articles. One person suggested we do a big gift basket (actually a tote bag) We agreed and decided we would fill it with cheese, maybe some sweets, some wine and some wine glasses. One person in the group didn't want us to put wine bottles in but bubbling cider instead. She didn't think it was appropriate for Republican women to be offer anything with alcohol in it. Needless to say, we are going to do the wine!!!!

Nita

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,039,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post

California is great but it gets less great as more people move here (from the east coast) and other places.
Maybe you could do us all a favor and move then. I hear northern Wisconsin is nice this time of year and you won't have to worry about much traffic! There, problem solved.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM

931 posts, read 1,164,922 times
Quote:
I've lived on the east coast, west coast, south, and (since my husband is from IL) visited the midwest extensively.

The nicest people, as a whole, that i have ever met were in Austin, TX. Granted, a lot of them hate Californians (just as Californians hate Texans). But, for the most part... the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. They say hi to you walking down the street and everyone always went out of their way to be as helpful as they possibly could. I had the one of the worst jobs with the greatest people in my life in Austin. Kind of made my crappy job worth it since everyone was so appreciative and NICE. That's the biggest thing I miss about Austin. The people. (And the crazy mad eye candy! Whooo boy!)

2nd up would be the Midwest. Really nice people there. Conservative, yes. But super nice.

3rd would be the West Coast. Almost equal to the Midwest, but you have some LA types ("I wear my sunglasses at night") that make it come in behind the Midwest. On the whole, though, I've found people to be very very friendly.

And then there's the East Coast (where I'm from). As I've written in other posts, East Coasters like to posit themselves as more "real" than anyone else. But really it just comes off as rude or, at the least, reserved. Not everyone. But enough to garner the reputation.
Nothing wrong with being rude,direct and not wanting to say hi to everybody under the sun. Can't wait to move back to the Tri-State area in 8 months. After 6 years u realize this place is borderline 3rd world.
Yeah the weather is great, but if ur not a beach person and dont have family or pursuing a hollywood deal, no reason to be out here

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,674,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the mid section of the country either has more religious people or they wear it on their sleeve more.

I did have a rather funny thing happen today, sad but funny: yes, most know I am a Republican and I was at a party meeting this morning. As we are getting ready for a fund raiser we are thinking about good "silent auction" articles. One person suggested we do a big gift basket (actually a tote bag) We agreed and decided we would fill it with cheese, maybe some sweets, some wine and some wine glasses. One person in the group didn't want us to put wine bottles in but bubbling cider instead. She didn't think it was appropriate for Republican women to be offer anything with alcohol in it. Needless to say, we are going to do the wine!!!!

Nita
LOL. I thought that alcohol was the one "vice" that specifically wasn't taboo.
...or maybe that's just for Catholics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles