Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
This is another "bury your head in the sand" mess that LA and most California politicians are famous for, including our President with that Cash for Clunkers crap during the height of our depression.

Like who the hell cares about this nonsense??!!!! People are starving and living in their cars!!

Plastic bags??? Banning toys with McDonald's Happy Meals???

Shouldn't you be worried about creating jobs, instituting programs to help the unfortunate, homeless families, food and clothes to feed children living in "can't cook" hotel facilities, etc.?

Why in the hell are we worried about some damn plastic bags and happy meal toys????

Why does CALIFORNIA always concern itself with stuff that no one else in the country gives a damn about?

Oh, please don't mention Bloomberg and his ban on trying to get the foodstamp program to make poor people stop buying sugary drinks. Of course, this is another way for the strong to control the weak and the helpless. It's bad enough the poor gotta deal with being poor, but now you want to stop them from buying a coke when they want one??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Not all germs are deadly. In fact if you took all the germs out of your body you'd die. (Unless you got them back quickly.)

You wash your reusable bags every month or two unless you spill raw meat juices or something. Most of what supermarkets sell is reasonably sterile (e.g. canned goods, package goods like cereal, most fruits and vegetables, paper products, etc.).

That would not be so bad if everyone had their own washers and dryers! Where I live, it costs 2.50 for each load so I resent having to be forced to wash my grocery bag!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
As in the past, the cities lead the way for the state. Tobacco was banned indoors in California's large cities many years ago and eventually the entire state followed that example. I know the issue of banning plastic bags has already been explored in the state assembly. So now San Francisco and Los Angeles are becoming the example for California to take appropriate action. And in another decade many of the other states will also follow California except, of-course, Red states who are still fighting evolution being taught in public schools duh!

Old 11-19-2010, 06:22 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That would not be so bad if everyone had their own washers and dryers! Where I live, it costs 2.50 for each load so I resent having to be forced to wash my grocery bag!
I'm sorry. You can come over and use my washer (for your grocery bags).

Regards,

Mr. Lovehound

Old 11-19-2010, 08:38 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Paper and plastic grocery sacks have one thing in common: They both don't deteriorate inside the bowels of a landfill.
Actually, the part that's even worse is they don't deteriorate in the ocean, either.

I kinda feel divided on this issue. I use grocery bags as trash bags, so if they're banned I'll actually have to buy plastic bags, anyway, so no savings there.

At the same time, a lot of them are ending up in the ocean, killing fish & other sea life, and creating a huge trash island in the Pacific the size of Texas (although some reports say it's as large as the Continental US).

Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, the part that's even worse is they don't deteriorate in the ocean, either.
I can tell you with complete sincerity that a bag in my possession has never ended up in the ocean. After I put it in the trash? Maybe, but that leads me to my next point.

Banning the object because of certain people's irresponsibility is obnoxious. Fight the problem [litter/people] not the object [bags].

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Like who the hell cares about this nonsense??!!!! People are starving and living in their cars!! Shouldn't you be worried about creating jobs, instituting programs to help the unfortunate, homeless families, food and clothes to feed children....Why in the hell are we worried about some damn plastic bags...?
Maybe banning them (or charging for them, which would reduce use) would help free up the approximately $25 million annually spent by CA taxpayers each year to rid streets, beaches, parks and waterways of the bags. Obviously that's money that could be spent elsewhere.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:35 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I can tell you with complete sincerity that a bag in my possession has never ended up in the ocean. Banning the object because of certain people's irresponsibility is obnoxious. Fight the problem [litter/people] not the object [bags].
That's great that you don't litter but plenty of other people do. How are we going to stop that? We can't legislate ethics. (Californians use more than 120,000 tons of plastic bags a year and recycle approximately 5% of them.)

Last edited by CA4Now; 11-20-2010 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: left out the word "tons"

Old 11-20-2010, 06:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
120,000?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The cloth bags I have don't hold up so well in the wash anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles