Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 44,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so it makes no difference to you if someone comes here illegally while others wait 5 or more years to enter our country legally, not to mention they only gain admission if they can support themselves.

Or are you saying no one should be allowed to enter our country?

Nita
All else equal, his method of entry is irrelevant.

The thing, all else is not equal. Illegal immigrants are more likely to be poor and prone to crime. So illegal immigrants tend to be more undesirable; understood correctly, the problem is not that they're illegal, but that they're just not great citizens, compared to the average American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Immigration legal or not has never been a asset or a issue in CA. The biggest issue is businesses using illegal labor to beat the labor laws and to pay less than minimum wage to workers for fair work. Fix the payroll problem and the illegal problem will fix itself.
Even if they were all legal, wages would still be low because there are more low wage workers to be had. Employers pay employees the minimum necessary to get decent workers. The more workers there are, the less leverage workers have, the less they get paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Immigration legal or not has never been a asset or a issue in CA. The biggest issue is businesses using illegal labor to beat the labor laws and to pay less than minimum wage to workers for fair work. Fix the payroll problem and the illegal problem will fix itself.
It's easy to say this but all that happens is that industry leaves and either plants roots in another state where they can continue this practice or they leave the country altogether for a country that doesn't have laws that protect the workers like they do in the U.S.

I really hate to say it being an immigrant myself but the negative aspects of illegal immigration are now far outweighing any, if they exist, positive ones.

I've written many times in past posts about how the current illegal immigrants seem to come here with (or develop once they get here) a sense of entitlement while past illegal immigrants made it their goal to blend in so as not to get caught. They seem to only want to assimilate the worst aspects of American society (crime, welfare, ethno-centricity) while refusing to give up the worst aspects of their own culture (refusal to learn to speak English, overpopulation, being dirty, racism, religious zeal, nationalism).

Yeah, I fell bad that you couldn't afford to feed your family back wherever you came from and had to resort to illegal ways to cross the border so you could work but when you don't keep tabs on your kids and allow them to become criminals, gangbangers, taggers and teen moms who drop out of high school and get on state assistance it's time to send you back. You had your chance and you blew it.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
All else equal, his method of entry is irrelevant.

The thing, all else is not equal. Illegal immigrants are more likely to be poor and prone to crime. So illegal immigrants tend to be more undesirable; understood correctly, the problem is not that they're illegal, but that they're just not great citizens, compared to the average American.

Even if they were all legal, wages would still be low because there are more low wage workers to be had. Employers pay employees the minimum necessary to get decent workers. The more workers there are, the less leverage workers have, the less they get paid.
I am not sure we are understanding each other. My experience and I have been around a hell of a lot of years is: legal immegrants normally are not poor or a drag on the economy. People do not come to this country legally without jobs, sponsors or some other means of support. They normally are anxious to be in the country and most or certainly many become citizens and contribute to our economy versus many illegals that do nothing but live off the government. I know several immegrants from all countries and none are working in low paying jobs, many are highly educated or become educated after they enter America.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles